UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 25

bigvis497

I think they did Chameleon perfectly! He looks like he stepped right outta his classic 1960’s appearances and that’s how I like it! (It’s Beetle I don’t like... gimme first appearance! ?)

i just wish I could find these to enjoy in-Hand rather than online. One day... !

Edited by Mystery Man

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

BOw0O0Q.jpg

oh he'll be back, they can never truly escape the plastic crack or this place,  remember when Gmonkey said he was gone? or youbastards stormed out never to return? and the countless others? they always come sneaking back in like it never happened. the grip is too strong. We can never escape  HaHahahHahahahahah um er....sorry

Edited by Mattallica

2 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

oh he'll be back, they can never truly escape the plastic crack or this place,  remember when Gmonkey said he was gone? or youbastards stormed out never to return? and the countless others? they always come sneaking back in like it never happened. the grip is too strong. We can never escape  HaHahahHahahahahah um er....sorry

shudder

what about mtd20? He never came back after the whole Valiant debacle...

7 hours ago, Heinous said:

That happens all the time on marvel products. There must be a copy right on some names or something like that 

Yeah, I don't think it's happened much with Minimates, but you see it all the time on Marvel Legends.

19 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

Since we're debating the "right" and "wrong" of Chameleon, let's consider this... the way the character operates in the comics is STUPID. A grown man wearing a tightly fitted hockey mask over his own face and a latex mask of another person over THAT would look like nothing that made any kind of sense. So why aspire to accurately portray this ridiculous concept but then complain that this toy "doesn't work the way the character does" when the way the character works quite simply doesn't. 

If that's the standard we're going to apply then we're going to run into problems with a LOT of characters.

One easy solution? DST needs to make a new Kraven and throw in a Chameleon head as an accessory.

I'm surprised this place is being criticized for not being positive enough, I rarely see any serious criticism and even most of that is quickly dismissed.

... To say nothing at all of aesthetics of slipcover vs. no slip-cover...

I agree with the notion that Chameleon's play-pattern is backward and it doesn't make sense. When your entire gimmick is putting a mask on over your real "face" the real face shouldn't be the mask... for a toy. (Must we quibble about whether his real-face is his real-face or just another mask... it's his "natural" look for all intents and purposes). There's a disconnect that doesn't make sense about it.

It's like a Wolverine toy with a spring-loaded mechanism that only makes his claws retract. There's a... play disconnect.
Or even more correctly... it would be like an Iron Man toy that had exterior snap-on "Armor" pieces that converted him into Tony Stark.

Iron Man doesn't go UNDER Tony Stark Armor. Mary Jane doesn't go UNDER Chameleon.

And as an anal retentive weirdo it kind-of irks me that this Minimate's natural state is, for all intents and purposes, actually a Mary-Jane Minimate. It irks me that this minimate makes it seem as though Mary-Jane is Chameleon's true identity. It doesn't feel like this Minimate is truly a Chameleon Minimate somehow, just as the original one didn't ever feel like it was truly a Jonah Jameson minimate.

THAT said, I agree that the original Jameson mask was hideous, and natural human faces don't work well as slipcovers, so I'm NOT saying MJ should have been one. I think the best solution would have just been swappable heads. Worked on larger Chameleon and Morph action figures in the past, no reason it wouldn't here, in a toy line built around parts swapping.

Or they could have given more care to the parts Chameleon came with to create logical headswaps like Marvel Legends did. They did Chameleon in a suit, w/ heads for JJJ and Hammerhead (both of whom also look natural in a suit)... plus then we'd have snuck in a free Hammerhead Minimate, which I'm sure none of us would sneeze at. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a Spidey slipcover mask in just for giggles. A spidey-villain who impersonates people could always stand to come with a Spidey mask.

But ANYWAY, will I buy it anyway? Sure. Heck, I'll buy two, because I want a Chameleon and an MJ. I may even buy 3 and make a suit Chameleon, because I agree with the earlier sentinemt that the Bathrobe feels dated.

Ultimately it's all just splitting hairs and quibbling, which is what nerdy internet forums about nerdy things like comics and toys are made for... and like most opinions, it's a matter of personal taste. But yes. I agree with the sentiment that this toy wasn't done properly. Per say. For the above reasons. In my opinion. Which ultimately means nothing because the toy still exists and never won't exist. ;)

Edited by Gillbob316

3 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

I agree with the notion that Chameleon's play-pattern is backward and it doesn't make sense. When your entire gimmick is putting a mask on over your real "face" the real face shouldn't be the mask... for a toy. (Must we quibble about whether his real-face is his real-face or just another mask... it's his "natural" look for all intents and purposes). There's a disconnect that doesn't make sense about it.

It's like a Wolverine toy with a spring-loaded mechanism that only makes his claws retract. There's a... play disconnect.
Or even more correctly... it would be like an Iron Man toy that had exterior snap-on "Armor" pieces that converted him into Tony Stark.

Iron Man doesn't go UNDER Tony Stark Armor. Mary Jane doesn't go UNDER Chameleon.

And as an anal retentive weirdo it kind-of irks me that this Minimate's natural state is, for all intents and purposes, actually a Mary-Jane Minimate. It irks me that this minimate makes it seem as though Mary-Jane is Chameleon's true identity. It doesn't feel like this Minimate is truly a Chameleon Minimate somehow, just as the original one didn't ever feel like it was truly a Jonah Jameson minimate.

THAT said, I agree that the original Jameson mask was hideous, and natural human faces don't work well as slipcovers, so I'm NOT saying MJ should have been one. I think the best solution would have just been swappable heads. Worked on larger Chameleon and Morph action figures in the past, no reason it wouldn't hear, in a toy line built around parts swapping.

Or they could have given more care to the parts Chameleon came with to create logical headswaps like Marvel Legends did. They did Chameleon in a suit, w/ heads for JJJ and Hammerhead (both of whom also look natural in a suit)... plus then we'd have snuck in a free Hammerhead Minimate, which I'm sure none of us would sneeze at. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw a Spidey slipcover mask in just for giggles. A spidey-villain who impersonates people could always stand to come with a Spidey mask.

But ANYWAY, will I buy it anyway? Sure. Heck, I'll buy two, because I want a Chameleon and an MJ. I may even buy 3 and make a suit Chameleon, because I agree with the earlier sentinemt that the Bathrobe feels dated.

Ultimately it's all just splitting hairs and quibbling, which is what nerdy internet forums about nerdy things like comics and toys are made for... and like most opinions, it's a matter of personal taste. But yes. I agree with the sentiment that this toy wasn't done properly. Per say. For the above reasons. In my opinion. Which ultimately means nothing because the toy still exists and never won't exist. ;)

I agree 100% with all this

I like the slip cover because anyone can be Chameleon. Put a anybody's head under there, put him shelf for six months, and now you have a mystery in the waiting. Could you imagine a MJ slip cover...hideous. Two heads is an option but a small Chameleon head is still an option. The character isn't going anywhere.

On 1/20/2018 at 5:04 AM, buttheadsmate said:

I find it odd that both the Chameleon & Jack O' Lantern require the prefix 'Marvel's....' on the packaging ?  Could there be some confusion that the contents of a Marvel Minimates package might contain ......er....otherwise ? 

Not a complaint just an observation

There are some words that can't be trademarked, like animals, so they throw the company name on top. Then there are instances where a company needs to differentiate their IP from someone else's. I think Captain Marvel used to work that way until DC gave up.

8 minutes ago, suicidewatch said:

Distribution on this wave must be piss poor because I’ve barely even seen an eBay listing. 

I'm now wondering if TRU ordered half as many of this assortment. Seems like it would have shown up on TRU.com by now like the last series.

15 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

THAT said, I agree that the original Jameson mask was hideous, and natural human faces don't work well as slipcovers, so I'm NOT saying MJ should have been one. I think the best solution would have just been swappable heads. Worked on larger Chameleon and Morph action figures in the past, no reason it wouldn't here, in a toy line built around parts swapping.

You don't need to buy two packs to get Mary Jane and chameleon if you have random minimate parts laying around. Just make MJ, then throw random parts under the robe, boom 

Let me ask this - are people who aren't seeing this in their stores (or no re-stocks for those of us who managed to find them), seeing an overabundance of Spider-Man Homecoming packs?

Because remember how these wouldn't scan for those of us who found them, and the cashiers just ended up resorting to using the Homecoming SKU to ring them up?

Because I keep looking for other board members, and haven't seen them since I bought mine, but I'm seeing the Homecoming packs multiplying every time I check.

There might be a problem at the distribution center. Zach might need to look into it, or at least get someone whose job it is to look into it (since I doubt it's his).

Edited by TENIME_art

I've got some leftover Homecoming sets but not what I'd consider an overabundance at all. There might be half a dozen at most, probably less. Series 23 continues to collect dust. There are about the same number of those. Plenty of Black Panther 'mates at the front of the store with the rest, though.

I found these on Sunday by my grandmother ‘s when I was there visiting her for her 101st birthday. They rang up (and scanned at the scanner) as Wave 23. I was super excited to find this wave.