UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 25

bigvis497

6 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It's like someone hating on Marvel Series 75 because it has a build-a-figure so now block figures are all stupid and everyone who disagrees is stupid for liking them.

Except it's not really like that at all, and maybe choosing to characterize it that way explains why these discussions end up with so much vitriol. I'm not sure why anyone thinks smug condescension is an antidote to "venomous, hateful" rants.

If we can't criticize a figure with a slipcover head here, which has been done since they were introduced, then we might as well pack it in. The conversation seemed to be pretty unremarkable until someone blew up. There were plenty of positive things said about all the figures in this wave even among the criticisms. If you can't enjoy a figure because someone else points out that it has shortcomings that's a you problem. It's okay to like it even if it's not perfect.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Valo487 said:

Why in the world would anyone be mad about getting an extra ‘mate for free in Wave 75? 

Because waaahhhh now I have to buy mates I don't want to get the one I do.  I personally can understand that annoyance but at the end of the day there are ways around it through trading etc. I buy all of them anyway so I guess I am the lucky one.

Considering that for the last several years I’m having to debate people on why we do we need redos of every character because there hasn’t been one for a while or because they can’t swap a hairpiece themselves, the people complaining about buying ‘mates they don’t need will get absolutely no sympathy from me. I mean not even a drop. 

On 2/6/2018 at 7:59 PM, thereasonsy said:

Because waaahhhh now I have to buy mates I don't want to get the one I do.  I personally can understand that annoyance but at the end of the day there are ways around it through trading etc. I buy all of them anyway so I guess I am the lucky one.

I don't see a pack that would be passed on if you like marvel minimates.  All of the figures are essential new characters or solid updates. To pass on any of these individual packs would be a regret in the long term.  They gave us a good series for a BAF. 

5 hours ago, MiniMCMotu said:

I don't see a pack that would be passed on if you like marvel minimates.  All of the figures are essential new characters or solid updates. To pass on any of these individual packs would be a regret in the long term.  They gave us a good series for a BAF. 

I already have versions of Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist that I'm happy with, so I don't need those four from 75.

I'm sure I'll still get them because I do want Ghost Driver, Moon Knight, and Quake, but if it wasn't for the BaF I'd be skipping at least one pack.

7 hours ago, MiniMCMotu said:

I'm hearing alot of people dissatisfied with the Luke and Danny set. And it got some added hate when they put the quake torso with them, for those looking to army build female shield agents 

If people buy one more two pack than they would have to build Quake, then the Build a Minimate concept was a success. The point is not to give you free ‘mates, it’s to encourage casual buyers or non-completists to buy more. Ever since Marvel Legends introduced the concept it never ceases to amaze me how many people don’t realize that. 

2 hours ago, Valo487 said:

If people buy one more two pack than they would have to build Quake, then the Build a Minimate concept was a success. The point is not to give you free ‘mates, it’s to encourage casual buyers or non-completists to buy more. Ever since Marvel Legends introduced the concept it never ceases to amaze me how many people don’t realize that. 

I definitely bought Marvel Legends I would not have bought otherwise to get BAF parts, but I considered it the price to pay to get an extra figure, especially when it was an oversize one. And I don't know if I ever regretted having any of the extra figures I bought, I guess I considered THEM the bonus figures I got for buying the BAF. If that makes sense. But yes, it's more than just a way to put out an extra character in each wave, it's primarily a way to promote multiple purchases and minimize pegwarmers.

I doubt that the army-builder factor was taken into consideration when distributing parts, but I don't know that any one two-pack would be the ideal 2-pack for army-builders to stock up on. I get that Luke/Danny is the one pack with NO new characters in it, but unless you were only planning on buying the new characters and gender-converting ONE of your SHIELD agents, you'd have to buy multiples of one pack anyway. All of the packs have at least one alt look.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

How many is a lot?

46 at last count. Dissatisfied wasn't the right word I'm sure. They are well done for what they are. Just passing on the set because they don't need it or they don't like the modern costumes 

Edited by Heinous

28 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I definitely bought Marvel Legends I would not have bought otherwise to get BAF parts, but I considered it the price to pay to get an extra figure, especially when it was an oversize one. And I don't know if I ever regretted having any of the extra figures I bought, I guess I considered THEM the bonus figures I got for buying the BAF. If that makes sense. But yes, it's more than just a way to put out an extra character in each wave, it's primarily a way to promote multiple purchases and minimize pegwarmers.

I doubt that the army-builder factor was taken into consideration when distributing parts, but I don't know that any one two-pack would be the ideal 2-pack for army-builders to stock up on. I get that Luke/Danny is the one pack with NO new characters in it, but unless you were only planning on buying the new characters and gender-converting ONE of your SHIELD agents, you'd have to buy multiples of one pack anyway. All of the packs have at least one alt look.

I remember someone saying something to effect of "I don't need 6 extra Danny and Lukes" I took that to mean they have fodder laying around that they can use for the arms and legs, or that the other characters WOULD BE good fodder for customs. Either way, I don't care about Danny, Luke or quake, so it doesn't bother whatsoever 

On 2/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, Heinous said:

I remember someone saying something to effect of "I don't need 6 extra Danny and Lukes" I took that to mean they have fodder laying around that they can use for the arms and legs, or that the other characters WOULD BE good fodder for customs. Either way, I don't care about Danny, Luke or quake, so it doesn't bother whatsoever 

That was me... and yeah I understand that I would have multiples of figures regardless but my storage bin is full of Luke and Danny’s due to the rise of their stars. I would have preferred it go somewhere else so I would have more MK or Jessica’s but whatever. I’m still buying them if I can find them. 

Unlike Wave 25 (aka the theme of this topic) I haven’t seen them and it looks like scalpers haven’t either since even Menegrie doesn’t have them in stock.

I'm usually not one for saying, "Hey, stay on topic" because I happen to think divergent discussion is what forums are made for, and I hate when people act like extraneous posts are going to use up all our internet or something...

But that said...

There sure is a hell of a lot of Specialty Wave 75 discussion going on in this TRU Wave 25 thread.