UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 25

bigvis497

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess he really didn't need any extra heads if you don't go with a slip-on mask. So long as the noggin is swappable with other figures he could be anyone. I suppose this was just a way to get another MJ into the market and maybe encourage multiple purchases.

For what it's worth I'm not big on that mask either. 

If the mask is supposed to be tight, then I would rather have it printed on a plain head. If it's a helmet or mask with raised, 3D elements, I want a slip over mask piece. Different artists, different interpretations and what not, but if I'm looking for "iconic" Chameleon, I want something along the lines of Ditko or Our Pal Sal. And they drew the head like the above pic. I want accuracy and that's what I got. No complaints here. 

People complain when slip over mask aren't used in the Walgreens waves, what's the argument here? Honest question. 

I guess it's about authenticity.

As is, I can't pose my Chameleon with an MJ mask because he doesn't come with one. I can only pose MJ taking off a Chameleon mask, which is contrary to the villain's MO.

I don't recall the specific gripes about masks in Walgreens assortments but none of them had anything to do with the specific character traits of Chameleon, right?

I can understand the complaints, though I personally don't agree with them. For one thing, the Chameleon's bulky robe looks better with a bulky mask. I do think that separate heads would have been a better way to go, but I like the design here. The play pattern of being able to put the Chameleon mask over different 'mates heads is pretty cool too, though obviously you'd be able to achieve this effect with the head swaps. Oddly enough, the original Chameleon Minimate followed the character's MO more closely, and I definitely prefer the slipover Chameleon mask to the Jameson one.

Then I guess it's a matter of preference.

Chameleon with a slip-over MJ mask. I don't see how that would work without looking clumsy. You can't get away with a plain MJ using that method; it's always going to look like someone wearing an MJ mask.

OR

Chameleon with parts to make MJ. Giving us two modern versions of characters that haven't been made in a decade. Essentially brand new characters considering how much the aesthetics have changed since then.

EDIT: Hellpop posted as I was typing. He gets it.

Edited by bigvis497

16 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Yes, some prefer it wrong. Some prefer it right. :Dunno:

That's exactly it. A preference. Someone's "wrong" is someone's "right" version. 

Example: What defines 'classic' Wolverine. Many would say brown costume, while I'm sure you'll find people who say 'Tiger stripe' is his classic look.

58 minutes ago, Gmonkey2k said:

That's exactly it. A preference. Someone's "wrong" is someone's "right" version. 

Example: What defines 'classic' Wolverine. Many would say brown costume, while I'm sure you'll find people who say 'Tiger stripe' is his classic look.

"Classic" is subjective.

Chameleon wears masks to disguise himself as other people. He doesn't wear a Chameleon mask the way Peter Parker wears the Spider-Man mask. You wouldn't put a Peter Parker mask over a Spider-Man head and claim that was correct.

It's okay to prefer something that's wrong but that preference doesn't make it right.

My only complaint above this wave is the Chameleon slip-over mask.  I have always HATED the slip-over masks.  The proportions just look slightly off to me with the bigger head.  I really think it should've been a regular Chameleon head and an alternate MJ head.

p.s.  That original Chameleon head from like 10 years ago is super outdated.  I don't that would look good at all on the new body.

36 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

"Classic" is subjective.

Chameleon wears masks to disguise himself as other people. He doesn't wear a Chameleon mask the way Peter Parker wears the Spider-Man mask. You wouldn't put a Peter Parker mask over a Spider-Man head and claim that was correct.

It's okay to prefer something that's wrong but that preference doesn't make it right.

But he does wear a Chameleon mask over his face. That's kind of his gimmick. You never see his actual face. Even after he gets his powers upgraded, you still see what's left of his face underneath the tech version of the mask. You see it in the pic YOU posted. Don't accuse others of right and wrong unless you know what you're talking about.

If I'm happy with what I got, I'm not going to actively look for reasons to make myself unhappy. That's crazy. The same people bitching about a slip over mask would be bitching if it was done the other way. Like it's some geek-culture "right of passage" to be a negative tool about every piece of minutia. Anything remotely resembling positive thought and you're not a "real fan" or don't know what you're talking about regardless of evidence. It's beyond tiresome and it's in every single thread on this board now. This place used to be fun. Nobody posts reviews anymore, nobody posts pics. It's just non-stop bitching. Whatever, I'm done with this place.

26 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

But he does wear a Chameleon mask over his face.

Huh. I didn't know that. I thought he was just deformed. That Voldemort nose I've seen in other pics totally threw me.

Chameleon02.jpg

But this Minimate doesn't reveal his own identity, unless he looks remarkably like Mary Jane Watson. The play pattern is literally the reverse of the character. 

And again, I'm not trying to tell folks what to like or dislike. Just trying to explain why people think the way they do because you asked:

4 hours ago, bigvis497 said:

People complain when slip over mask aren't used in the Walgreens waves, what's the argument here? Honest question. 

I'm glad you like it as is. For what it's worth I wish I could add it to my collection but my TRU apparently doesn't carry comic-based assortments anymore.

Edited by MisterPL

Personally....... I rarely like the look of a 'slipped-over' minimate .....that's been my stance ever since I first clapped eyes on the W7 Marvel Jameson version of ...er ....The Chameleon........just over thirteen years ago!!

I reckon Ivan agrees with me [ hurrah for me as it's reassuring that I'm not out on a limb as usual :thumbsup:] because he actually describes the W7 JJJ Minimate as being in the MMDB category- 'big head' !   

Whether this Chameleon is right or wrong is beyond me :Dunno:

Edited by buttheadsmate

9 hours ago, hellpop said:

. For one thing, the Chameleon's bulky robe looks better with a bulky mask.

I ditched the robe immediately, it's a silly outdated design. My chameleon is wearing a suit. Glad to get an MJ though! 

I'm probably gonna make a new head for him tomorrow 

Since we're debating the "right" and "wrong" of Chameleon, let's consider this... the way the character operates in the comics is STUPID. A grown man wearing a tightly fitted hockey mask over his own face and a latex mask of another person over THAT would look like nothing that made any kind of sense. So why aspire to accurately portray this ridiculous concept but then complain that this toy "doesn't work the way the character does" when the way the character works quite simply doesn't. 

On 30/12/2017 at 11:10 PM, bigvis497 said:

Big thanks to a helpful board member for these! I'll post some more pics later.

20171230_180510.thumb.jpg.642a623e57b630d99f2efc17ac3aa879.jpg

I find it odd that both the Chameleon & Jack O' Lantern require the prefix 'Marvel's....' on the packaging ?  Could there be some confusion that the contents of a Marvel Minimates package might contain ......er....otherwise ? 

Not a complaint just an observation

3 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I find it odd that both the Chameleon & Jack O' Lantern require the prefix 'Marvel's....' on the packaging ?  Could there be some confusion that the contents of a Marvel Minimates package might contain ......er....otherwise ? 

Not a complaint just an observation

That happens all the time on marvel products. There must be a copy right on some names or something like that