UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Classic Avengers Villains: Informal Character Poll #6

elhonez

Which classic Avengers villain should be made next?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which classic Avengers villain should be made next?

2. 2. Which Avengers army builder should be made next?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/2018 at 03:06 PM

For this sixth poll, it's time to turn to classic Avengers villains.

The army builders this time include a couple of left-field choices for depth - I know some of you have expressed that you're less interested in the builders, so feel free to vote on character aesthetics if you don't find yourself compelled by any of the choices. Take a look:

tumblr_inline_myl0y7DH9M1sqpgg0.png250px-Growing_Man_on_the_cover_of_Thor.j

Ohitsme--Rocketeers.png0917c.jpg

600?cb=20081130111505figure-32_space-phantom-reveals-his-plan

Edited by elhonez

Korvac and Sons of Serpent (they can also count towards Defenders enemies!).

I don't think there's actually more than one Growing Man though... I can't remember any examples of more than one. Though I suppose you could use time travel to explain away why there's 5 of the same robot together.

But Super-Adaptoid on the other hand, he could be an army builder - there was a whole swarm of them once.

image.png.fb70980f83f190d96c8b14aaa9ac7286.png

(there are SO many I want that didn't make the list - Titania, Tiger Shark, Fixer, Yellowjacket II, Whirlwind, Swordsman, Immortus, Blackout, Erik Josten in some form... stupid Avengers with too many villains I want)

Edited by AFMcGill

18 minutes ago, AFMcGill said:

(there are SO many I want that didn't make the list - Titania, Tiger Shark, Fixer, Yellowjacket II, Whirlwind, Swordsman, Immortus, Blackout, Erik Josten in some form... stupid Avengers with too many villains I want)

I'm with you here. I feel like FF & X villains have received much more love over these 15 years of MiniMates. There are a whopping amount of high-profile Avenger adversaries to be made.

1 hour ago, elhonez said:

I'm with you here. I feel like FF & X villains have received much more love over these 15 years of MiniMates. There are a whopping amount of high-profile Avenger adversaries to be made.

Well, FF still has a few big holes (Wizard, Trapster, Thundra) but most the Avengers enemies we've gotten are either also member's solo villains or general shared universe villains. What we need is about 3 boxsets of just Avengers villains. :D

This one is difficult me for the wrong reasons... haha...

I hate to be the naysayer, but I think the reason most of these guys haven't been made is people like me who have no idea who they are, haha. I'm like... barely familiar with anyone on this poll. We all have our own wheelhouses of Marvel interest, and apparently this one isn't mine.

I'm vaguely aware of several names... I've beaten up several of these guys in ensemble Marvel video games. That said, I couldn't tell you any of their civilian names, their exact powers, or their basic backstories. I know Attuma is something of a Namor villain and Man-Ape something of a Black Panther villain. I know Count Nefaria killed Thunderbird (that small connection to the X-Men aside, I know nothing about him).

I feel like I want to vote for Attuma or Man-Ape just because I know a hair more about them than most of the other names, and I like giving people a good arch-rival. That said I have no idea which one I'll choose at the time I'm typing this.

Though a tiny part of me wants to choose Grey Gargoyle just because we have that Worthy/Mighty version of him... and having a weird version of a character, but not a classic version of a character just irks me. I'd like a classic Grey Gargoyle just to be less irked by having a weird version. (That said, we're getting a weird version of Man-Ape with the Black Panther movie mates, aren't we? Haha.)

Ugh... no idea who I'm picking here... We'll see.

PS. Is there a way we can separate the army builder poll into a separate vote than the regular poll? I feel like I don't vote on some of these because my army builder vote would be a true shot in the dark, and I don't want to skew the results needlessly. Even though I may have an opinion on the main poll. It's not so much that I don't care, it's that I don't want to throw a useless vote onto a poll when I know there are people who DO care... if one army builder wins because I threw a random throw away vote on it, over one people actually care about, I'd feel remiss.

EDIT:

I went with Attuma and Lava Men. Attuma because I frequently go to Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal Studios... and there's a big banner of him amongst other famous villains in the arcade... and I figure if he's cool enough to warrant a banner alongside Kang, Red Skull, Mandarin, Magneto, Zemo, Kingpin, etc... he must be doing something right...

doctor-doom-fearfall-universal-islands-of-adventure-282-oi.jpg

I went with Lava Men because who doesn't like a good Lava Man. That one transcends context or Avengers knowledge.

Edited by Gillbob316

Even though it pains me to get another attempted rapist action figure, Atuma to me is the character that has had the profound impact in my mind due to him being a villain that crosses multiple franchises. As for the army builder, as loathed as I am to get another hate mongering group out there I had to go to the Sons of Serpent for the same reason.

6 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Even though it pains me to get another attempted rapist action figure, Atuma to me is the character that has had the profound impact in my mind due to him being a villain that crosses multiple franchises. As for the army builder, as loathed as I am to get another hate mongering group out there I had to go to the Sons of Serpent for the same reason.

You must love all those versions of Crossbones we have...

Yep, this is the poll for me! :thumbsup:  To be honest I want them all and I could have chosen any between attuma, grey gargoyle, graviton, korva and nefaria.  I went for nefaria in the end but it was pretty random and I almost went for poor graviton just because, inexplicably, he has no votes yet!  Lava men were a bit easier to choose in the other category.

Seems like this poll is a healthy mix of "this is my jam!" with "who the heck...?" If you're a very X-focused fan, you're forgiven for not knowing key Avengers villains. Thankfully, everybody gets around at least a little in the 616.

There are no wrong answers with army builders - if you don't know or don't care about them, don't worry about skewing the results, just pick the coolest looking one.

It'll all come out in the wash, anyway. When we get to the "poll of polls", the best ones will float to the top & win.

Lava Men & the Sons doing well is not a surprise to me, but Grey Gargoyle is. Very interesting.

I wonder if it's partially a function of what Gillbob mentions - we have a weird version of him, and that's created an appetite for a classic version?

On 12/4/2017 at 8:17 PM, Gillbob316 said:

I went with Attuma and Lava Men. Attuma because I frequently go to Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal Studios... and there's a big banner of him amongst other famous villains in the arcade... and I figure if he's cool enough to warrant a banner alongside Kang, Red Skull, Mandarin, Magneto, Zemo, Kingpin, etc... he must be doing something right...

doctor-doom-fearfall-universal-islands-of-adventure-282-oi.jpg

I went with Lava Men because who doesn't like a good Lava Man. That one transcends context or Avengers knowledge.

I’m very happy to see Terrax also being sported among the top tier villains.

Edited by NerdyTrev

4 hours ago, elhonez said:

Lava Men & the Sons doing well is not a surprise to me, but Grey Gargoyle is. Very interesting.

I wonder if it's partially a function of what Gillbob mentions - we have a weird version of him, and that's created an appetite for a classic version?

Yeah, Just to speak to my own self...

I know nothing about Grey Gargoyle. As I said in my first post, I'm barely familiar with these characters, and couldn't even tell you their exact powers or civilian names in most cases. The only comic I ever read featuring him was Fear Itself and/or a Fear Itself Tie-In. The only time I saw him before that was as an old 5" toybiz action figure.

That said... For some reason just having him in my collection, but knowing he's not a classic, standard version I can display amongst other Avengers villains bugs the crap out of me. Having a weird version of a character without a normal one just gets under my skin, haha. I remember long ago we had Zombieverse Black Panther, with his missing limbs, but no normal Black Panther... and it annoyed the crap out of me. I also hated having the movie versions of Blob and Deadpool before we had actual comic versions of Blob and Deadpool.

Now, when a character can pass for a classic version, it bugs me less. Hela, for instance, I like having MCU Hela, because MCU Hela... can make a decent enough comic-book Hela. But a Black Panther missing his arm, or a bleach-blonde Blob in a Tanktop, or Origins Deadpool that's just Ryan Reynolds in a red Tanktop (lousy tanktops), or even Fear Itself Grey gargoyle, who IS a 616 Canon minimate... but who is so drastically different from the classic version of the character he could never pass for normal. Those ones get under my skin. Don't ask me why. It's like having them in my big minimate box makes me say, "Why aren't you normal, so I can put you in a 616 Marvelverse display like your friends?"

It's a weird phenomenon... but it DOES make me want a normal Grey Gargoyle. Even though I know deep down, if we didn't have Fear Itself Grey Gargoyle, I wouldn't care less if we got a normal Grey Gargoyle.

Edited by Gillbob316