UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bendis to DC

hellpop

Bendis pretty much single handily drove me away from comics so this is big news. I haven't picked up a new comic in almost a decade and The Epic Collection program gives me enough reading material to where I just don't need to read anything else.

Marvel still has a ton of problems but this is an enormous step in the right direction. I'll take a wait and see approach.

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

DC ≠ Marvel. This may be a huge change of pace for a guy like Bendis. It'll be interesting to see how DC Editorial handles him.

That's a good question. I can see him and Geoff Johns clashing. Bendis basically could do whatever he wanted at Marvel, just like Johns at DC, and I can see their egos getting in the way. Of course, their rather dreary view of comics may be in lockstep with each other.

For an old-timer like me, this reminds me of John Byrne's jump to DC to take over Superman, which was hardly a rousing success.

Byrne's Superman wasn't without its hiccups (Legion of Super-Heroes) but it was a pretty big deal. As someone unfamiliar with his work at Marvel, I enjoyed his take on the Man of Steel. However, that coincided with Crisis on Infinite Earths. Bendis will be landing a little late to have any kind of DC Universe-changing impact right out of the gate. Maybe if they'd been able to sign him last year.

Man I wonder who he’s going over there to fuck up. It’ll be fun to see him utterly trash all my favorite characters with bendisspeak and a lack of respect for legacy and oh so many OCs replacing the heroes I love. 

Seriously fuck this. 

2 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

Man I wonder who he’s going over there to fuck up. It’ll be fun to see him utterly trash all my favorite characters with bendisspeak and a lack of respect for legacy and oh so many OCs replacing the heroes I love. 

Seriously fuck this. 

>yfw Bendis writes Steel

>he kills off his niece, Natasha, and creates his own carbon copy OC

>yfw Bendis takes Priest off Deathstroke 

>he kills off Tania and creates his own Donut Steel Power-Girl

I want off this ride... But at least my boy Tony will be safe, after 2 years at his hands...

Edited by Kostisfire

• 2 months later...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/02/01/exclusive-bendis-to-write-superman-revive-jinxworld-and-oversee-new-custom-imprint-at-dc-comics/#671a29025c40

Can't say I'm surprised. My gut feeling is that Bendis is a terrible fit for Superman, since his strengths (such as they are) are pretty much the antithesis to what makes Superman great. Also sad that the Tomasi/Gleason run is ending, since it was great. And finally, his description for taking Superman back to his original conception sounds EXACTLY like what Grant Morrison did when the New 52 launched. But we'll see. At least the artists on this Man of Steel comic are great.

So, to sum up:

Superman=great
Tomasi/Gleason=great
Artists on Man of Steel=great
Bendis=not great

Edited by hellpop