UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Men Villains (Classic): Informal Character Poll #2

elhonez

X-Men Villains (Classic): Informal Character Poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which classic X-Men villain should be made next?

2. 2. Which classic X-Men army builder should be made next?

• The Sidri (ref: X-Men 154)
    • New Mutants Sentinels (blue & grey, ref: New Mutants 2)
    • Shi'ar Soldiers
    • Multiple Man (classic)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/10/2017 at 01:13 AM

It became apparent to me as I tried to write up an "X-Men Poll" that I needed to get really specific, and even then it required a series of Sophie's Choices. Some will no doubt note the absences of Proteus, Amahl Farouk and Master Mold, for example. I elected to go with classic villains this time around for a number of reasons, including: a) we've had an embarrassment of riches with respect to X-heroes of this era, and b ) there was such a preponderance of mutant characters in the late 80s and 90s they need their own poll, or a series of them. 

[for purposes of definition: "Classic" here (and wherever I use it) means Bronze Age-ish, or roughly up to and including 1985]

So it came down to this crew, all of which I'd want to see honestly. And some interesting Army Builder choices that should prove to be tougher competition than what turned out to be a two-way race between the Alpha Primitives and Galactus' Punisher robots. Have at it!

Edited by elhonez

Easy choice for the army builder. Shiar all the way. If army building isn't your thing, you can use the parts to make D'Ken, Lilandra, and any other Shiar you want. I'd honestly buy about 10 packs just to have the Shiar parts available. FOr the classic villain I went Black Tom... Shaw is one that needs to be made and I feel like Mesmero and Vanisher could use the same head piece but... I just really want a Black Tom to go with my Juggernaut and standing across the battlefield from my Banshee. A choice made with my heart instead of my head.

Deathbird and Shi'ar all the way. While I'd like a 90's armored Deathbird I could easily see a classic winged version using existing parts. Add in Gladiator and Fang uniform Wolverine with extra Fang head and you have the starting point for a full wave.

7 hours ago, Prowlar said:

Deathbird and Shi'ar all the way. While I'd like a 90's armored Deathbird I could easily see a classic winged version using existing parts. Add in Gladiator and Fang uniform Wolverine with extra Fang head and you have the starting point for a full wave.

I know they aren't Shi'ar, but I'd like to see Binary and a new Dark Phoenix in that wave too.

Man, rough poll; Lots of great choices.

As much as I want to see...  well, all of them, I ended up voting for Arcade.  Maybe not the most major villain, but after his big push over the past few years, I just need him in my life.

My second choice would have been Black Tom 'cause my Juggernaut is lonely.

Great stuff elhonez!

This was so freaking hard for me... haha...

You picked a bunch of medium-popular B & C-Tier X-Men Villains with like... the same level of popularity, ALL of whom I want, none of whom really jump out above the others as someone I DEFINITELY want MORE... My heart wanted to pick Sauron, but since we already got that generic Reaper that was originally supposed to be Sauron before we all told Zach different and it got renamed... I couldn't pick him in good conscience. I can make the Reaper work if I ever adamantly decide I need a Sauron. That said I still REALLY struggled to choose between Shaw and Deathbird. Ultimately Deathbird won because if I got Shaw, I'd want Leiland, Pierce and Wyngarde too... and that seems like a longshot that's more than I can hope for anytime soon.

Runners up for me are Black Tom & Mesmero. God I'd love a Black Tom. I'm a huge Juggernaut fan... so like... Black Tom rides coattail cred for me, since I love Juggernaut so much, haha.

I'll also say... I told my buddy this when he was recently announced as an upcoming Marvel Legend: I've never been a huge Gladiator fan, at least not in toy form. It's odd to me that so many people clamour for him. I never do. To me... Gladiator is just one of several dozen members of the Imperial Guard... and since no toy company has interest in building that whole team... same theory as Shaw above, even if he is the most standout popular member, I don't want ONE member, that's just going to stand out as missing his team. I'd want the WHOLE Imperial Guard (or at least a decent handful of them)

As for the Army Builder...

I said this back in the 50th vote, but my #1 X-Men Army Builder want remains the Stepford Cuckoos... I realize they're probably not the first choice of many people, but I want them because to me they feel like getting 5 new quasi-unique named characters. I'd go out of my way to buy 5 of them, for that reason. Most Army Builders I don't bother to Army Build. Most army builders don't feel like a new character at all to me, more a nameless boring footsoldier. That said, I picked Multiple Man, because he's one of the few army builders that does feel like a character... even if one we have already, and I prefer characters to nameless grunts. I also prefer costumed heroes to plainclothes heroes, so I'd like a costumed Multiple Man. I prefer "Multiple Man" to "Jamie Madrox"

I have gone with Deathbird and the Shi'ar Trooper, because in my mind if we get the two of them, then we're possibly looking at a whole wave of X-Men in space type characters and it opens up the door for Binary, Lilandra, D'Ken, Gladiator, The Starjammers and Wolverine in the Fang outfit because every X-wave needs Wolverine. 

Gladiator and Deathbird in a dead heat? Who'dathunk?

A lot of Shi'ar love here. Shi'arly you can't be serious?

"I am. And don't call me Shi'arly."

...and the poor Sidri! They are currently off drinking away their woes with the Living Monolith.

250px-Living_Monolith_(Marvel_character)

"F this place! I'm going home!"

I chose Black Tom and Madrox because they’re mutants and the most X-Men-y out of anyone. The Shi’ar need their own wave. Something with Lilandra, Gladiator, Soldiers, Dark Phoenix and maybe a few Avengers from Galactic Storm.

How about this?

Lilandra / Dark Phoenix

90’s Thor / Gladiator

90’s Wonder Man / Shi’ar Soldier

Psionic Wonder Man / Shi’ar Soldier

OK, time to call it. After 48 votes, your Classic X-Men Villain & Army Builder winners:

Gladiator-Marvel-Comics-Shiar-Imperial-G12647329e4dd005fcb2db56114bb4451--x-men-

Very colorful.

I think I was most surprised by the overall Shi'ar love, with Deathbird and the Shi'ar troopers also faring very well. Your runners up:

Deathbird-Marvel-Comics-X-Men-Shiar-ClasArcade_Marvel.jpg

Arcade has menaced many, many heroes, so perhaps that explains his appeal?

Thanks to everyone who voted! I'll wait a little bit before the next poll. I plan to mix it up a bit, jump around the MU.