DSTZach

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, DSTZach said:

There aren't enough of them to distribute. Most WG waves are big orders, while TRU assortments were much less. So it was online OR very limited store distribution. These may very well sell out.

If this does well, maybe they'll think about redirecting some inventory, but I don't know how that works with shared SKUs. It may be possible, possibly even as sets, but I guess we'll see. 

I was wondering about this, and you answered the question without my even having to ask! What service. Now I wonder if I shouldn't have ordered two sets.

4 minutes ago, spidermatt said:

I noticed that Rogue comes with a hood piece. SO is this just the modern Rogue or is it both modern and first appearance?

Modern Rogue; she wears the hood in a lot of her appearances. Also realized this pack actually ended up having good timing because she wears the same or a similar costume in the first couple issues of Gambit & Rogue.

19 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

Presumably to emulate the Spot's abilities as best DST could. Also, I love the alt. head for Spot. These sets look great, Zach. 

If only he had an extra white Puck hand to hold the stand out in front of him like a portal.... Like the extra head though!

Delivered, I guess I live close to the distribution center. A few thoughts after having them in hand:

"Sinister Six" The Spot: Spot is the highlight of the wave for me. He has four black stands, two of the standard size and two of the smaller size we used to get. He also has the black discs you saw in Zach's pictures, which are just a little wide for his hands, and an extra head. Until MrClean mentioned a Puck hand I would have said there wasn't really anything else to include. Still, I think this is an excellent minimate and I find it very satisfying to see a minor character done so well.

"Sinister Six" Iron Spider: If you have the previous red version you're already familiar with this minimate. One of spider arms had some extra plastic around the peg that I needed to trim off to make it fit. He comes with a clear stand and a jump stand. I like getting a new villain but this figure really feels like it could benefit from an unmasked head and the updated symbol that appeared in some books, as is it feels like a simple rehash. That said, it will still look good in a Spider-Man villains display.

Holographic Iron Man: Another very familiar minimate. The metallic paint looks nice. This would make a good standard Iron Man as long as you don't mind a lit-up repulsor chest on a classic armor. The Stark face tampo is good but the plastic is a little dark for it to be easy to see. No accessories besides a flight stand.

Madame Masque: My second favorite figure from the wave, though that's mostly because I'm glad to have another new villain. The white paint is thick enough to keep any blue from showing through but the edges of the gloves and boots are a bit fuzzy on my figure. The holster was upside down. I know we've seen the pistol before though I can't remember where, in gold it seems like a good fit for the character. The mask tampo is excellent.

Marvel NOW! Rogue: It makes me chuckle to see NOW! branding on anything. I don't have any particular attachment to this costume but the minimate seems to be an excellent representation of it. Having hood up and down options is nice, unfortunately the brown hair on the hooded piece is painted horribly on mine, it's so bad I would need to try to touch it up before I'd consider displaying it. Rogue comes with a flight stand.

Marvel NOW! Cyclops: I hate what Marvel has done with Cyclops so I'm no fan of this costume, that aside I think DST has done a good job with it. I thought using red for details was an odd choice but it does appear consistent with the comic art. The same goes for the mask as a tampo instead of a slipover, while not being a fan I'd say it is a decision that can be defended based on the art. An optic blast would make Cyclops better, that obviously wasn't in the budget. He'll look good hanging out with his terrorist buddy Magneto.

Besides Spot's two small stand all of the other stand had pegs that were very large for the foot holes of the minimates. After not having that problem for a few waves it's disappointing to see it return. As I said before, the wave feels light on accessories though not so much that it's a problem. Despite those issues I'm happy with the wave. Also, great job by DST and Walgreens at getting these out and having them ready when the announcement was made. I had my minimates in slightly more than 24 hours with free shipping, that's better than Amazon. While part of that is proximity to their shipping location the order was processed and out the door very quickly.

Edited by stack32

As I was playing around with Spot I discovered the peg in the stands is the same diameter as the hole in the chest block so the upper half of the figure plugs snugly onto a stand. That should increase the amount of display options, especially if you used something to attach the stand to another surface.

20 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

My order was processed and shipped within a few hours of placing it. I am surprised the free shipping (over $35 order total) is 2-Day FedEx.

Free is good!

If these things are in such smaller quantities than normal Walgreens orders, hopefully this will encourage them to put other series online and not just in stores.

I love that we got these. I love Spot and Madame Masque and the basically-classic Iron man re-release. I love that Walgreens put them online fast, fulfilled and shipped them out fast. 

And iblive that you can still see TRU26 on the back of the package and the TRU Exclusive sticker underneath the Walgreens one. 

I found out the reason the feet for these figures don't fit well on the pegs for the stands is each hole has four projections sculpted into it, almost like cross hairs. It's not even a millimeter but it's enough to be a problem. I can't imagine why this was done, it's consistent over multiple figures so it doesn't seem to be a manufacturing error.

21 minutes ago, stack32 said:

I found out the reason the feet for these figures don't fit well on the pegs for the stands is each hole has four projections sculpted into it, almost like cross hairs. It's not even a millimeter but it's enough to be a problem. I can't imagine why this was done, it's consistent over multiple figures so it doesn't seem to be a manufacturing error.

I like it. Makes them fit snug on the pegs