DSTZach

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, Nessex said:

'Originally, it was going to be Thunderbird who died in "Night of the Sentinels, Part Two" since the character died in his second mission for the X-Men. However, it was pointed out that the writers were going to kill off their only Native American character early in the series.'

So instead they put Thunderbird in the opening credits on the Brotherhood side (maybe it was Warpath?) and then never ever used him. I always found that strange even when I was a kid... Along with whoever the weird bald guy is that also was a part of the Brotherhood.

1 hour ago, Chigarillo said:

So instead they put Thunderbird in the opening credits on the Brotherhood side (maybe it was Warpath?) and then never ever used him. I always found that strange even when I was a kid... Along with whoever the weird bald guy is that also was a part of the Brotherhood.

I almost posted this.... So strange!

11 hours ago, Chigarillo said:

This was discussed  in depth in another thread back in the day. From memory the story goes when they were designing the opening credits they had only had official sign off on character design for the first six or seven episodes, anyway they wanted  an even number of bad guys to face the good guys in the opening credits so the used characters who's designs had been signed off by marvel for they appeared as background characters in the "slave island" episode. The bald guy is Hulk villain Gargoyle and maybe Thunderbird was selected because presumably art models had been prepared if he was originally going to feature in those first two episodes. 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:16 PM, Chigarillo said:

It could be argued that it is, in fact, Warpath, who was first introduced as an *almost* villain. Really, he just wanted revenge for his brother's death.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:40 AM, Polarboy said:

This was discussed  in depth in another thread back in the day. From memory the story goes when they were designing the opening credits they had only had official sign off on character design for the first six or seven episodes, anyway they wanted  an even number of bad guys to face the good guys in the opening credits so the used characters who's designs had been signed off by marvel for they appeared as background characters in the "slave island" episode. The bald guy is Hulk villain Gargoyle and maybe Thunderbird was selected because presumably art models had been prepared if he was originally going to feature in those first two episodes. 

There were some other villains in Slave Island who could have been used, like Blob. Or sometimes hero, sometimes MLF member, Feral. Or even Caliban (although he was depicted in this episode as Morlock Caliban, rather than Horseman Caliban). 
I suspect your theory about the art models already existing as he had been planned for inclusion in the first two episodes explains why he was chosen instead of Blob. 
Can't quite figure out why Gargoyle made the cut, tho. 

I've read reports recently that it wasn't in fact Gargoyle, just a generic background slave island mutant whose model was done, but who people mistook for gargoyle due to a similar appearance. Those reports emphasize that the character was never officially confirmed to be Gargoyle, onscreen or behind the scenes.

BUT... that' just what I read (about a week ago, when this conversation started)

I always considered the guy in the opening credits Warpath as a kid, because as Nessex pointed out, Warpath was introduced at first as a pseudo-villain, out to avenge his brother, which is exactly how I interpreted his presence amongst the intro villains as a kid. I knew he later became a hero, but I assumed they were starting him as a villain in the intro/cartoon... as they had in the comics. Furthermore the Toybiz toy line released the toy for that look as Warpath (and later released his more unique look as Warpath II) and since the Toybiz line often took its cues from the Cartoon, that re-affirmed the fact he was Warpath, in my mind. I think I always just considered Thunderbird to be long since dead... both in comics and onscreen. (Even though technically he could have stayed alive for the cartoon, if they wanted him to be. I didn't understand the nuances of separate canons as a child, lol.)

i truthfully never even took note of Gargoyle/The Generic Guy as a kid. He blends in and escapes notice. Which I suppose was always his job in the first place, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Joyous News! (For Me, Not You)... I was under the impression one of my local go-to Toys R Us stores was closing in their upcoming purge, but it turns out it's not the one I thought it was, it's actually the nearby Babies R Us down the street that's closing. The Toys R Us is remaining. My friend just mistook the address, because they're literally right down the street from one another.

So I'll continue to be able to search for Minimates on my way home from work. Praise Magneto!

3 minutes ago, Gillbob316 said:

Joyous News! (For Me, Not You)... I was under the impression one of my local go-to Toys R Us stores was closing in their upcoming purge, but it turns out it's not the one I thought it was, it's actually the nearby Babies R Us down the street that's closing. The Toys R Us is remaining. My friend just mistook the address, because they're literally right down the street from one another.

So I'll continue to be able to search for Minimates on my way home from work. Praise Magneto!

That's funny. The same exact thing happened to me! But now neither the Babies R Us nor Toys R Us are closing!

1 minute ago, Minimate said:

A while back Zach said this wave will have two Spidey villains. I think the other could be Jackal. 

Are we to assume Iron Spider accounts for the Iron Man variant hint?

That Iron Spider is a villain.