TRU Series 26

DSTZach

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just wondering if the Morph I found repulsive in the cartoon is the same as the AoA Morph Minimate I regretted passing on at TRU years ago. If they're the same guy I might just QC my own Morph from a Series 60 bod and grandpa's windbreaker. (Brilliant character design. Brown coat. So edgy.)

3 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

Is that accurate, though? I thought comic book morph was an alien and cartoon Morph was a mutant

Everything I found yesterday when this first came up was that Cartoon Morph was eventually revealed to actually be Kevin Sydney/Changeling (and apparently had some homages to Changeling in his character development in the show), and that the Exiles & AoA versions are Kevin as well (heck, I remember dialogue from AoA Astonishing where Rogue & Magneto I think are joking about his "awful purple headgear when he went by 'Changeling'").

Edited by TENIME_art

Primary 616 Marvel Comics Canon - Changeling is Kevin Sydney (Dead), a Caucasian male who wore a hideous blue and purple outfit with a ridiculously over-sized headdress (and no cape). He was a short-lived character who died very early in the X-Men's publication history. Morph, on the other hand is Benjamin Deeds, who is a modern unrelated character with similar powers.

90's Animated Series - Morph is Kevin Sydney, a Caucasian male who wore a standard blue & yellow X-Men Strike Force Uniform (sometimes w/ a brown coat) This is the Morph most people are familiar with, thanks to the popularity of the 90s cartoon. The 90s Morph character, as most people know it, was created for this series, and mainly only ever existed in this series. Though it was loosely based on the Changeling character from the comics (with an updated more 90s X-Men Look). His codename was changed from Changeling to Morph, as I understand it, to avoid legal ramifications from DC who also have a character named Changeling (better known as Beast Boy)

Age of Apocalypse - Morph is Kevin Sydney, but looks nothing like any prior versions of the character. He is bald, has white skin, no nose, and wears a blue outfit with a purple cape.

Exiles - Morph is Kevin Sydney, and his look is based largely on the Age of Apocalypse version of the character (though he is technically a different version, from a different universe). he starts off with the same blue outfit and purple cape, but eventually changes to a more unique orange-yellow outfit and blue cape.

X-Men Adventures - Being that this is a comic book adaptation of the 90's Animated Series, this is the only instance, as far as I know, where "90s Morph" (as portrayed in the cartoon) appeared in a comic book. Though this comic book was set outside the primary Marvel 616 canon.

X-Men '92 - though based on the 90's X-Men, as far as I know Morph didn't appear in this book (nor Changeling, nor Kevin Sydney in any form). (Though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because I've never actually read X-Men '92) If he did appear, I imagine the case would be much the same as X-Men Adventures.

ALL THAT SAID...

As was mentioned earlier... except for Benjamin, they're all the same character, in the same sense that 616 Cyclops, Animated Cyclops and Age of Apocalypse Cyclops are all the same character. But they've used different code-names, and they all have wildly different costumes and looks. A 616 Changeling Minimate vs. An Animated Morph Minimate vs. an Age of Apocalypse Morph Minimate, would all be three radically different minimates, none of which could stand-in for one another.

ALL THAT SAID...

The only real question here is whether or not Diamond could  make an Animated 90s Morph minimate. Legally. We know they can make the comic book versions of the character. I can only assume they don't have the rights to the 90s cartoon, but his appearance in X-Men Adventures (the non-canon comic) makes it a little bit of a grey area.

Zach?

lol...

Edited by Gillbob316

For what it's worth, I just checked the Marvel artwork style guide online and, of course, nothing comes up for "Morph." Then again, no X-Men characters appear either. (Side note: The only Fantastic Four incarnation that appears is the team made up of Hulk, Wolverine, Ghost Rider, and Spider-Man.) But I didn't stop there!

I did some sleuthing and discovered that Toy Biz made Morph action figures. Doubting that the notoriously frugal Ike Perlmutter would pay for the rights to make a figure of such a relatively obscure character, I checked the packaging and, sure enough, Morph appears to be owned by Marvel. Check out that copyright line in the lower left corner.

s-l1600.jpg

Morph was such a generic, trendy word at the time. I recall it being used to describe the then-groundbreaking CGI used to render the shape-changing T-1000 in Terminator 2 a lot. Then the X-Men cartoon aired on Fox with a new character and I thought, Oh, of course he's named Morph. <_<

It'd have been like introducing a villain in 2017 named Complicit.

5 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Morph was such a generic, trendy word at the time. I recall it being used to describe the then-groundbreaking CGI used to render the shape-changing T-1000 in Terminator 2 a lot. Then the X-Men cartoon aired on Fox with a new character and I thought, Oh, of course he's named Morph. <_<

It'd have been like introducing a villain in 2017 named Complicit.

Or a hip hop artist. 

I have a soft spot for the X-Men Animated Morph. I used to have to leave for school before it started, so I'd set the VCR to record each episode and then watch it when I got home in the afternoon.
As I understand it, Morph was brought in to the animated series because the shows creators wanted to start the series off by showing how serious the plight of mutants was, and so they *kinda* invented one, just so they could kill him.
He was the X-Men equivalent of a red shirt. 
Having said that, I always thought he was funny and would have been worth keeping around. Although - it didn't take much to make me laugh as a 12 year old.

*EDIT* Oooooh - just found out some extra Morph trivia... Morph was almost Thunderbird

'Originally, it was going to be Thunderbird who died in "Night of the Sentinels, Part Two" since the character died in his second mission for the X-Men. However, it was pointed out that the writers were going to kill off their only Native American character early in the series.'

Edited by Nessex