DSTZach

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

A 616 Madame Masque would be amazing. I'm surprisingly still stuck on our mystery hero who may or may not have been made before.

The man in the shield mandroid suit is Phil Coulson. So you could argue that there is a comic book Phil Coulson figure, or you could argue that there isn't, but the movie figure is absolutely unambiguous.

There's a movie figure of Harry Osborn as the "New Goblin." You could argue whether this counts as a Harry Osborn figure, and then make a comic accurate Harry, but there's no ambiguity as to whether or not there's a comic book version of him already.

Maybe the Toni Ho Iron Patriot? We've had Iron Patriots before, in both the movie and comic lines, but not this version. 

As for the villain in a hero costume, my only other guess would be the villainous Black Knight, though the costume is different. 

Maybe it's Harry in the American Son armor Norman build for him while he had the dark avengers. Harry used it against Norman, but it was also (as far as I know) only in one issue. So probably not 

250?cb=20091004055941

Edited by Heinous

When I'm doing my super-nerd statistics, I go by the packaging text if the identity is ambiguous.

Which reminds me, a Harry custom would be ridiculously easy to make with the bucketloads of Norman Osborn hair pieces I have lying around. That hair...

Just a gut feeling really, but I do feel like Gambit is kinda due (or overdue) for a quote unquote "basic costume" update. We haven't had a standard regular Gambit in a good long while.

We haven't gotten a "basic costume" Gambit since 90s Gambit way back when... and there's been much lamenting about how expensive he can be to acquire these days. We've gotten a couple Gambits in more recent years, no question, but neither Age of X nor Strike Force really have that classic Gambit look... that trenchcoat silhouette. Neither really serves well as a 90s Gambit stand-in or update. They're both kind-of niche Gambits that only really fit with their matching teams (Strike Force or Age of X)

Strangely, X-Men Origins Gambit is almost the best stand-in we have for a classic trenchcoat Gambit... and that's just sad, lol. (And he's just about as old too. Though I imagine much cheaper to acquire.)

So if it IS Gambit... I don't think it will be a redo of 90s Gambit, per say, but he does have more modern looks that aren't nearly as far a cry from his 90s look. X-Men Red being a prime example (This is absolutely a modern look that could almost pass for classic). Not to mention older ones like his white trenchcoat from a few years back, or Xtreme X-Men, neither of which are his 90s look, but both of which are... semi-similar-ish.

Same argument could almost be made for Rogue, frankly, but she has at least had some fairly basic looks done more recently than Gambit. Not only did her 90s version come out more recently than Gambit's, but Outback Rogue was a fairly standard Green Rogue costume (albeit a fairly old costume), and Age of X Rogue is a much better 616 stand-in for her than the other 3 Age of X figures are for their counterparts. As 616 Rogue has at times been known to wear green full-body suits and hoods.

So anyway, they do feel pretty due for an update, as far as top tier X-Men go. If it's not the two of them, I damn sure think we could still use a new version of the two of them. It's been a while since those two had a non-nichey refresh.

Edited by Gillbob316

Part of me wants to say the 90s X-Men aren't really due for a re-make yet... but apparently we got most of them way back in 2010 or earlier, so it's been like... 8 years already, surprisingly.

I think the problem is most of them still hold up, so they don't FEEL like they need to be redone. Even if it has been 8 years. Though being such popular incarnations of the characters... I have to imagine there are a lot of people who missed them who'd appreciate another shot. But still others who got them and don't need re-dos. All and all I DUNNO... I don't think they should devote a whole wave to them necessarily, much less 2. That would probably irk people who prefer their minimates with fewer X-Genes. But they could probably slip in a 90s Gambit re-do here or a Cyclops re-do there with little complaint.

I always hated the 90s Cyclops minimate's hair, tbh. I wouldn't mind a new one, lol.

Bishop and Jubilee could probably also be done better. They were always 2 that seemed to be done kind-of on the cheap for the boxed set. Lots of parts re-use.

Archangel could also definitely use an update. He was one of the first 90s characters to be made, and thus his minimate looks the most dated.

Beast could also use a second attempt.

Edited by Gillbob316

While I suffer from X-Exhaustion more than anyone I would happily buy redos of the 90's team. Between the figures that could really benefit from being redone (the aforementioned Beast and Archangel, 90's Iceman) and characters that could be improved with a few accessories (Optic Blast for Cyclops, Comic and Cartoon hair for Jean) I think you could manage a worthwhile set of minimates. Even if some of us diehards were less than enthused, what set of characters could have wider appeal?

I’m struggling to think of anything that could be done to improve on Archangel and 90’s Ice-Man. Pretty much all the Jim Lee X-Men were spot on to my eyes, although Beast was a bit gangly. I know they’re very rare, but I’m not sure how different they’d be if remade. 

I think Iceman and Archangel are the 90's X-Men that need updates the most. The wave 10 and 19 figures were good for their time, but they could both use a lot more detail, as well as some new ice effects for Bobby.

Jubilee could reuse the hair sculpts from her Strike Force variant, and Bishop would look better with a sculpted scarf.

I question whether they could legally do Morph, since he was a character created for an Animated series they don't have the rights to as far as we know. I'm not sure where a character created for the 90s cartoon ultimately falls in the grand scheme of Marvel Licensing. I realize Changeling, and Age of Apocalypse or Exiles morph exist as comic book characters (One even has a minimate)... but THAT Morph... with THAT costume... exists pretty much exclusively in the cartoon. So Iunno. *Shrug*

That said, as mentioned before, I hate 90s Cyclops' hair, and wouldn't mind a second crack at him at all. Jacket or no Jacket.

Also, back on the subject of 90s Iceman and Archangel, as Buffalo said, both of them verymuch lack detail when compared with today's standard of minimate. One need only hold 90s Archangel next to X-Force Archangel and compare to see the difference detailing makes. Same sculpt, nearly the same costume in a different color scheme, but X-Force does far more with it... much nicer looking minimate comparatively. I honestly wouldn't mind either if they took another crack at a new metal wing sculpt for him. I don't hate the original wings, per say, they're not bad. But I always found them rather large and ungainly. I feel they could do better with them.

Also I'll add, in addition to his lack of detail, many early Iceman minimates (like most early clear minimates) are now slightly yellowed and tacky... which... ya'know, sucks.

Once again though, I'm really not looking for a whole wave of these guys, much less a whole Blue set and a whole Gold set. I'm just saying if they re-did a lot of them here and there, to fill out a wave, or to pair with a logical character... I wouldn't mind it. Gets popular looks for these characters back into circulation for new collectors.

Some of them don't need an update at all. Some of them could stand an update, even if they don't super duper need an update. Some could downright use an update. But all of them are prettymuch some of these characters most iconic and well remembered looks... thanks to the cartoon. So I'm sure not many would sneeze at seeing them again.

The Animated Version of Morph never made it into a canon comic as far as I'm aware. Though he was probably in the X-Men Adventures comic (which was itself a comic adaptation of the Animated Series)

The character, Kevin Sydney, was Changeling as far as the primary Marvel canon is concerned, and died many decades ago. Morph, of the animated series (as well as Morph of Exiles, or Morph of Age of Apocalypse) were his alternate equivalents in those canons.

I believe there was also a second 616 Morph (IE. Not Kevin), but he was a whole different dude, and frankly I know very little about him, as I never read any of the stories since his introduction (looks like he came in 2013, and my reading list is currently back circa 2011). A quick google search explains his name is Benjamin Deeds.

That said, it's all very confusing, and I ultimately have no idea if Diamond could or couldn't actually make him (as portrayed in the Animated Series). He was definately in X-Men Adventures w/ that look, because again, Advetures was a comic adaptation of the cartoon... which is still a comic, if not a comic that exists in Marvel's main canon... whether or not that loophole would suffice and allow him to be a minimate, your guess is as good as mine.