UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

Checked out the Going Out of Business sale today.  Advertised as 30% off with exclusions, but most of what we would normally look at was 10% off.  Action figures (including minimates) 10% off, saw TRU 24 on the Marvel side.  Construction toys including Lego either 10% off or not on sale at all.  Amiibo, etc was 20% off.  Video games either 10% off or nothing.  Items marked with a yellow dot were not on sale.

Not really worth the trip today, but may try it again in a couple weeks and see what it looks like...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I lost 3 stores in the initial announcement, I really hope they don’t take any more from my area.

My 2 closest stores survived the first round but neither has carried the last two marvel releases (24 and 25). They did receive the movie mates but I’d much rather have the comic waves.

Between the local comic shops no longer carrying minimates and now the TRU closings it’s really becoming a struggle to acquire the figures I’m after at a reasonable cost. I hope the situation improves somehow.

5 hours ago, MisterPL said:

If they're cutting their domestic operations in half, that means at least half their order for Minimates, assuming they continue to carry the brand. :(

I'm to trying to be a clever-ass but from what I have read on here over the years not all TRUs carried Minimates at all/regularly ....I hear you but let's hope for the best, maybe distribution could improve !

Far more worrying  for me is the complete lack of new minimates or vinimates on TRU.com ..........for months .

On 22/02/2018 at 7:35 PM, buttheadsmate said:

I'm to trying to be a clever-ass but from what I have read on here over the years not all TRUs carried Minimates at all/regularly ....I hear you but let's hope for the best, maybe distribution could improve !

Far more worrying  for me is the complete lack of new minimates or vinimates on TRU.com ..........for months .

........& as of yesterday TRU.com is showing "Ragnarok', 'Beetlejuice' & Wave 25 Minimates (no Chameleon yet) .

22 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/toys-r-us-said-to-be-prepping-liquidation-of-u-s-operations

not good, not good, not good!!!

the loss of product for us collectors would be horrible but I don’t want to even imagine what it would do to DST. 

This is so disheartening. Always so sad to see a brand like this go dark.

You know how some people say the beach is their happy place?  For me, since I was 10 years old my happy place has always been Toys R Us.  The store has been a constant in my life.  Having a rough day, stop at TRU.  Had a great day, stop at TRU.  Bored?  Stop at TRU.  Crud, not looking forward to this.

3 hours ago, JeffBohn said:

You know how some people say the beach is their happy place?  For me, since I was 10 years old my happy place has always been Toys R Us.  The store has been a constant in my life.  Having a rough day, stop at TRU.  Had a great day, stop at TRU.  Bored?  Stop at TRU.  Crud, not looking forward to this.

My youngest daughter echoed that sentiment when I showed her the headline this morning. As the offspring of a toy collector, my kids have lots of memories of visiting this chain. (Most of them good!) Knowing the owners might be shutting down completely is a kick in the gut.

The news isn't doing toy manufacturers any favors either. Hasbro, Mattel, and LEGO can absorb not getting paid. Smaller companies like our beloved DST might not.

Are there any other brick & mortar toy stores out there, where a kid can be a kid?

I too visit (the Madison) TRU at least once a week. I know half the employees on a talk-about-the-family basis. My first Minimates came from TRU.

3 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

My first Minimates came from TRU.

Mine too. It was the Spider-Man boxset from way back in wave 2. Hard to believe we’ve gotten so many since then, really. 

Also managed to snag some at old long-dead chains called Zany Brainy and Media Play.

Man... our childhood haunts are slowly dying off. 

The scary part is, according to that article, TRU is actually doing pretty good. They're declining because of the rumors of shutdown and such, but in general profits are up. It's just that they're saddled with so much debt and interest payments from Bain Capital, that they can't get ahead. What places like that do should be illegal. Bleeding a viable business for years until they force it to close.