UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

My TRU still has many of the old guard.

• Manager has been with TRU 10 years, 8 at this store
  • One employee has been with TRU for 35 years, 18 at this store
  • The remaining assistant manager has been at this store for ages
  • One employee is on medical leave for cancer, but started at TRU at 18 and is now in her 40s
  • Some of the other employees that are still there have been there for a handful of years.

Granted, many of the employees have left for new jobs, but many have stayed.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Friday is the announced final day for all TRUs to close. I doubt I'll go back. I want my last memories there to be of my wife and daughter shopping with me just enjoying our time there. Now, it would just be a last depressing trip. 

I’ve spent the last 2 hours hanging out at the Madison TRU. I brought cake, bought the last 10 packs of Dark Tower mates, and am fighting back tears.

My store said today was the last day for them. Cleared them out of the last 10 packs or so of Minimates, mostly Dark Tower. Heard a few older women talking about how they could scoop up some of the stuff still available and sell them for a profit online. The inventory was a shell of its old self, only the rack where you'd find impulse buys was half-full. The rest of the store was blockaded in caution tape, employees taking down the shelving units to get shipped off or sold. Only recognized a few of the faces there, most of the regular staff's been replaced with temporary workers by now.

That Toys R Us was the hot spot for a few good years. Whether I was on the hunt for a new set, or I was down and just needed a pick-me-up, my Toys R Us was always there for a weekly visit.

Thanks foR the memories, I'll miss you.

Just got back from my TRU. It was basically picked clean, but there were still some deals to be had. I got my daughter a new backpack and some of those little belt clips for water bottles things. The toys were pretty much gone. The only Minimates left were the Aliens:Covenant and Spider-Man:Homecoming exclusives; I bought a few for old times' sake.

I guess I'm not terribly sentimental about this even though my local stores have been pretty good to me overall. Are they marking things down any further in the last few days?

EDIT: Answered my own question. Yes, but good luck finding anything.

Edited by stack32

5 hours ago, JediJohnson said:

If Toys R Us no longer exists, can I still be a Toys R Us kid?

Someday everyone’s parents will die. But you’re still their child. Morbid as that is, the same principle applies. Our children will never get to be Toys R Us kids but we always will be. 

9 hours ago, Lurch77 said:

Well, it's nice to see a good news story on the back of all this depressing news. Thanks for sharing! 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

As expected, Mattel, EA, and Hasbro are doing layoffs today with HR citing TRU as a huge factor. Hope our DST friends aren’t impacted.  

So is this the reason stores like target n walmart havent been fillin their shelves? The few times ive checked out target it seems like their collectible isles have nothing new in them. With lotsa open peg spaces.

6 hours ago, spidermatt said:

So is this the reason stores like target n walmart havent been fillin their shelves? The few times ive checked out target it seems like their collectible isles have nothing new in them. With lotsa open peg spaces.

Pretty sure this is Target’s semi-annual toy clearance time. They get rid of ‘old’ toys for about a month, clearancing them off, and then bring out the new stuff. Hopefully.

20 hours ago, spidermatt said:

Part of it is seasonality and the other part will be not having enough stock to fill orders. Lest we forget in addition to the the TRU situation we are in the midst of a trade war with countries that impact the supply chain. 

• 2 months later...