UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, hellpop said:

Damn Nessex, I was just at TRU today and would have picked them up for you. All the TRUs around me have tons of that wave, so I'm happy to get them for you if no one else does.

I would be ETERNALLY grateful if they were and you were able to grab them next time you go there. :pray:
I didn't think I needed them at the time... but now there's a Maximum Carnage wave coming out! LOL

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

I can scope out too.  If you're only interested in the Collector from that set, you can have mine for freesies.

That would be awesome! PM Sent! 

• 2 weeks later...

I very briefly stopped by the local TRU earlier today, and the collectibles, including Minimates were 40% off (at least that's what the sign said).  I didn't have time to really dig through and see what was there, but FYI.  Video games were 50% off!  It included PS4 games and Switch games.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Just stopped in the only TRU in Bloomington, IL.

Since it is now announced that all is 40 to 60% off, I found it odd that Legos were only 30% off but everything else was at least 40% off.

I likely will not go back again because there really is not much left to draw me back in for any price.  I got a couple of the remaining Minimates, but mainly to disassemble them for customizing.

The Walgreen's (believe there are 7) in Bloomington/Normal, IL are starting to thin out their Minimates, so hopefully we will see the new wave hit there.  However, I will miss TRU and the luxury of getting Minimates on a slightly regular basis.

18 minutes ago, Captain Paco said:

Since it is now announced that all is 40 to 60% off, I found it odd that Legos were only 30% off but everything else was at least 40% off.

Legos have consistently been a lower percentage than everything else with these TRU sales.

Also, Legos typically aren't included in most toy sales at Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.  I don't think they like to sell them at a discount for some reason!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a few TRU today since the end of days is near. Last time I visited the sales were at 20 or 30% and there was still decent stock. Big change from then to now! All stores had over half the floor space roped off and everything was piled on the remaining shelves near the front. Mainly went to have a last look at the locations I've haunted for so many years buying Marvel Legends and Minimates. Tomorrow I'll visit the one I've gone to since I was little, it used to be a Children's Palace back then. I feel old.

Didn't see many minimates other than Dark Tower and a couple Ragnarok packs. Would have grabbed 3 or 4 NBX vampire packs but there were none to be found.

I did pick up a deluxe wood chess set I've had my eye on for awhile. I was surprised there was still one left as most had disappeared right at the start of the sales.

I also picked up that big Funko Lockjaw plush that's been sitting there... I don't know why. I made eye contact with it and the damn think was just staring at me with the sadest "don't leave me here" eyes in the world, lol. So I bought him. Next time friends tell me I need a dog I'll point to him.

My only regret is that I never visited the flagship store in Times Square before it closed a few years ago. I'll bet it was something to see. Sunday will be my last trip to a Toys R Us store but I'll always be a Toys R Us kid. Thanks for the memories.

I visited the one in Toys R Us a few years ago. It was mighty impressive, I must say. Today, I went back to my local Toys R Us after having visited it a few weeks ago. Last time I saw it, things were from 40 to 70% off for the most part. Minimates were still 40% off. Today I went in, in the store was almost totally gutted. There are only a few things left in the front, but most of the stock been gone. There's no way that stuff all sold. So, I suspected it already been liquidated to a retailer like Ross or TJ Maxx. So, I would anticipate seeing some of that stuff up here somewhere in the near future. Including lots of Minimates. There were plenty of Minimates last time I went, and today I just saw a smattering of Nightmare Before Christmas packs left. No way all that stuff sold from the store itself. They were listed as 60% off today.

Yesterday I bought the last Minimates 2-pack my store had. From what I could tell the only remaining ‘mates there were two or three Deluxe Alien Spacejockey sets. Otherwise things were as described; the back of the store was barren with stock moved toward the front. 

?

11 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

I went to a few TRU today since the end of days is near. Last time I visited the sales were at 20 or 30% and there was still decent stock. Big change from then to now! All stores had over half the floor space roped off and everything was piled on the remaining shelves near the front. Mainly went to have a last look at the locations I've haunted for so many years buying Marvel Legends and Minimates. Tomorrow I'll visit the one I've gone to since I was little, it used to be a Children's Palace back then. I feel old.

Didn't see many minimates other than Dark Tower and a couple Ragnarok packs. Would have grabbed 3 or 4 NBX vampire packs but there were none to be found.

I did pick up a deluxe wood chess set I've had my eye on for awhile. I was surprised there was still one left as most had disappeared right at the start of the sales.

I also picked up that big Funko Lockjaw plush that's been sitting there... I don't know why. I made eye contact with it and the damn think was just staring at me with the sadest "don't leave me here" eyes in the world, lol. So I bought him. Next time friends tell me I need a dog I'll point to him.

My only regret is that I never visited the flagship store in Times Square before it closed a few years ago. I'll bet it was something to see. Sunday will be my last trip to a Toys R Us store but I'll always be a Toys R Us kid. Thanks for the memories.

The flagship was the best and the worst all at the same time. The carousel, the candy, Superman busting through, and Jurassic Park. When I first moved to New York I would go to it every time I needed to find my zen. I was gutted it was closed without warning as I was visiting my family in Australia and didn’t get one last shop done. 

I have four TRUs within a reasonable distance, so I've been visiting them with alarming regularity over the last few weeks. I somehow still manage to find something each time. Lately I've been buying those Mega Construx Call of Duty sets, to pair up with my GI Joe customs. Only built the little jeep, but it works pretty well. 

Somehow that Lockjaw hasn't come home with me yet. Lockjaw and Star Wars Black Series set with Admiral Ackbar have been the two overstocked items I've had my eye on all this time, but I've only bought the latter. I guess, until I get Lockjaw, I know there's at least one more thing for me to buy at Toys R Us.

This whole thing makes me so sad. I've been going to the Toys R Us in King of Prussia, just north of Philadelphia, since I was a little boy. At that time, they weren't all over, and we would go to the King of Prussia Mall (then the biggest in the country) once or twice a year. It was magical. I bought my first Super Powers figures (Green Lantern and Robin) at that Toys R Us. I found Wheeljack, my favorite Transformer, at that Toys R Us, and he BROKE IN THE CAR on the way home. It's safe to say I wouldn't be a toy collector today if it wasn't for Toys R Us. Really going to miss it.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, Ronan The Accuser said:

I visited the States for Comic Con with my ex a few years ago. We spent a week or so in NY after San Diego, and I made my pilgrimage to Toys R Us. There's just nothing like that in Australia.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:28 AM, MisterPL said:

Yesterday I bought the last Minimates 2-pack my store had. From what I could tell the only remaining ‘mates there were two or three Deluxe Alien Spacejockey sets. Otherwise things were as described; the back of the store was barren with stock moved toward the front. 

?

Everyone is buying that Alien set. ..

I stopped in Thursday and it was pretty sad to see all the empty shelves. I picked up the Space Jockey set and some other mates at 60% off. Tuesday will be the last day for my store. I may stop out there tomorrow again, but I plan to take a cake out to my friends on Tuesday morning. I will miss visiting them every week to chat, check out the latest toys, and be a ToysRUs kid. ?

I stopped by with my daughter on Friday. It was her last time at a TRU, since she's now off to camp for the next few weeks (which is a WHOLE other reason to be emotional...). The store was quite picked over, but we managed to find a few things. I'm sure that I will make at least one more trip this week. Still hard to believe it will be for the last time.

I already miss TRU.  The locations near me have been gone for weeks.  There is now no brick and mortar places to shop for Minimates here.  I can get a comic shop to order them, but I can do that on my own and usually cheaper.

Not to be overly dramatic but walking around TRU yesterday was like visiting someone in hospice care. I wanted to hug the employees since this was probably the last time I'd ever set foot in that store again.

Product was being swept toward the front of the store as if by an invisible broom while we were there. They were moving inventory and taping off sections as scavengers shoppers moved through the aisles.

I didn't really grow up a TRU kid but I sure felt like one. The toddlers I saw yesterday will never know what they missed.

Then again, there's Toy City.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Not to be overly dramatic but walking around TRU yesterday was like visiting someone in hospice care. I wanted to hug the employees since this was probably the last time I'd ever set foot in that store again.

Product was being swept toward the front of the store as if by an invisible broom while we were there. They were moving inventory and taping off sections as scavengers shoppers moved through the aisles.

I didn't really grow up a TRU kid but I sure felt like one. The toddlers I saw yesterday will never know what they missed.

Then again, there's Toy City.

Your Toys R Us still has employees? All the ones around me fired all the employees ages ago (or they left to get different jobs) and all that's left are these weird scab teenage workers who don't even wear TRU outfits and just barely ring things up. Seriously, they wiped out all the workers a while back and it's just temporary workers.