UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

Usually in these things it takes a little bit for the good deals to really hit. My big question is about Minimates (naturally!); are they going to sell relatively quickly, so I should take whatever discount I get now and be happy about it, or are they such a low-profile item that they are likely to hang around a bit until we get the really good deals?

807a4b9b71c9a3acf57013b1376f8116bac32d98

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I at least want a few more ghost sharks from Pirates, and non-Minimates I really want some of the Coco sets for Pepita, and maybe an extra Marvel Legends Daredevil to keep at work, because I love the costume, and think the figure's really cool, lol.

My issue isn't waiting for better discounts (at least on the Pepita stuff - I definitely don't want to spend too much on the Minimates or Marvel Legends that I already have), it's waiting until next Friday to get paid, haha.

49 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

My issue isn't waiting for better discounts (at least on the Pepita stuff - I definitely don't want to spend too much on the Minimates or Marvel Legends that I already have), it's waiting until next Friday to get paid, haha.

That's why I'm avoiding Luke's site today!!! We are on the same pay cycle.

Stopped by TRU today and picked up a few sets. Minimates did not to appear to be significantly dented. I know it's only the first day of the sale, but the Pops had sure been picked through. Anyway, I'm sure I will be picking up more over the next few months. This whole thing is really sad. I remember buying Super Powers figures at this TRU 30 years ago.

21 hours ago, Captain Paco said:

I know I will now never see Jack O'Lantern and Negative Zone Spiderman.

I can probably help you out, as long as that is the only set from the wave you are after.

20 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

I can probably help you out, as long as that is the only set from the wave you are after.

If you find two, I would love a jack lantern/nz spidey. :)

On 3/23/2018 at 10:46 PM, Mystery Man said:

I’m gonna put this here where maybe people going into local TRU’s will see it. Hope that’s okay with everybody. The scalpers have cleaned my stores out, so I’ve heard from the employees.

If anybody comes across the Marvel Legends TRU exclusive Cyclops and Dark Phoenix, I would dearly love to purchase one at cost from you.

Here tis:

http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Cyclops-Dark-Phoenix-Set-Box-e1495637420620.jpg

If you're desperate, I'll happily pick you up a set, but they retail for 79.95 here :(
I understand that this price will seem insane to anyone in the U.S., but it's what we pay for toys in Australia. Still, if you are desperate and can't find it cheaper anywhere, I'll grab you one.

Edited by Nessex

On 3/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, Nessex said:

If you're desperate, I'll happily pick you up a set, but they retail for 79.95 here :(
I understand that this price will seem insane to anyone in the U.S., but it's what we pay for toys in Australia. Still, if you are desperate and can't find it cheaper anywhere, I'll grab you one.

Luckily I was able to find one. Thank you, though!

The last 2 orders I had just before the end announcement took forever and I wasn't sure I was going to get them. They eventually showed up after nearly two weeks. I'd guess they just don't have the manpower left to run the site and fulfill orders now.

I was able to place one last order before they closed.  Normally the turnaround from placing an order to receiving the shipping confirmation is pretty quick but this last took almost two weeks.  I thought for sure it was going to get cancelled eventually but everything has been shipped.

It's really sad to see this all play out.  I'm going to miss my TRU :(

Stopped in to my closest TRU (Van Nuys for those in L.A.) and the discounts were at between 5-20% depending on the item. Most were 10%. Minimates were picked through with only the Dark Tower and some NBX sets left. Most of the store looked like it had the usual stock levels, except Lego which weren't as fully stocked as they had been. Not picked clean though at only 10% off.

First thing I noticed when I walked in was they still had their "Now Hiring" sign up by the front door.

Thelast visit I had at TRU, the clerk told me to throw away my rewards card and then corrected himself, saying that I would need it if I was expecting any coupons.  Otherwise, trash it.

Yeah I tried to check my Rewards balance this morning and there was a message at the top of the Rewards site that said the program was cancelled effected 3/22/18. Glad I used my last $5 reward when the first news of the closings hit.

And no that 5% discount isn't an incentive at all. It was on the gaming and specialty figures like NECA, McFarlane, etc if I recall correctly.

Went to 3 different TRUs over the weekend. Stores are basically a wasteland now. Nothing left, crap all over the aisles.

And yet incredibly... No deals to be had. Almost nothing is more than 10% off and with their prices raised, it's more expensive than it was when they were in business and running sales.

When people hear a store is "going out of business" they come in and buy everything up, demolish everything else and rip packages open. 

I was hoping Minimates wouldn't be effected, since they are such a niche item, but sadly outside of a few Dark Tower sets or other less popular sets, nothing is left.

Edited by SCW

Mixed messaged for stores around the world:

While the Australian arm said it was business as usual for its 39 stores, the Wall Street Journal quoted Toys 'R' Us chief executive David Brandon as telling staff the company was likely to liquidate operations in France, Spain, Poland and Australia as well.

I'm no expert but in Spain won't be too much missed. Another story is the drama of the many people that works there. TRU never was so popular than in the USA and the prices were significantly higher than others. And no minimates at all. 

But the impression was of a big and strong company. 

Had the ability to visit the TRU in Lexington, Kentucky on March 31st.

It was a store in neglect.  The isles of action figures were half bare.  The Lego isles were still rather full but 5% off is not much at all.  (Besides I think Lego will have all remaining merchandise shipped back to them as they seldom ever let items go on clearance.)

The collectors section was terrible.  10% was all that was still offered as the close-out sale continues.  I got two Beatlejuice 2-packs, two Watchmen 2-packs, and two Predators 2-packs and a single Pirates 2-pack.  I wanted to get a set of the Dark Tower minimates, but did not have the funds to do so at the time.

The cashier was nice and had shared that they were told the next wave of discounts likely would not hit until after April 16th,  However, she said her store would likely close by the end of April.

I went to my local TRU on the 23rd of March and got a few 2-packs of minimates but I will hold off going back until later in April.  I hope to get a few more 2-packs at least for fodder to my customizing.  But still trying to look ahead and plan out my ordering from Luke as that will be my only outlet for the mates I want.  Walgreen's is nice but they are slow to sell and sometimes my local Walgreen's just don't get every wave they are supposed to get.

Just sharing.