UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC exclusive Contest of Champions 'mates

sha_ckwave

21 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I've never really understood why each & every promo has the words 'not for resale ' on the baggie label ?

13 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Because they are not meant to be sold. Other items we make are sold to stores specifically for resale. These were made to be given away.

So why doesn't the baggie label just have the words 'not for sale' ? 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

So why doesn't the baggie label just have the words 'not for sale' ? 

Because it's common phrasing/verbiage. And you're splitting linguistic hairs.

But to dive deeper...

Where I think the point of confusion comes in is, you're looking at the transaction between  whoever runs CoC and the consumer as the first transaction. It isn't. The first of transaction (I assume) was  between Diamond (the manufacturer) and CoC (the distributor). True enough, CoC isn't selling them to anyone, so if a consumer picks them up free and chooses to sell them, they aren't being "resold" ... they're just being sold. But if CoC chose to sell them, that would be resale of the stock Diamond sold them, and that's what the label is warning against.

Diamond sold them to whatever company runs Contest of Champions to be given away free as promos (and presumably there's some sort of legal mumbo-jumbo/contracting requiring they be distributed as such, in a free promotional giveaway). They are labeled thusly so as to say to the CoC people: These are not to be re-sold.

Diamond doesn't care if the consumer puts them on ebay, they care if the people who runs CoC put them on ebay (or sell them at the con, or anywhere else). Or presumably any other licensed retailers/distributors they sell promotional items to.

Edited by Gillbob316

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

I haven't seen the packaging yet but it might be that these don't have the required warnings to be resold. Which would be odd since a choking hazard is a choking hazard, free or not.

The labels on the bags for the giveaway figures I've gotten had the safety warnings on them (choking hazard, bag not a toy, etc) as well as copyright/TM. That's a standard liability thing, especially with toys regardless of their distribution method.

As for the "Not For Resale" label, that's not much different than individual Twinkie wrappers from the big multi-pack boxes that have "not packaged for individual sale" on them. The "Not For Resale" just means they aren't meant to be sold to the general public. If you want to argue semantics over the language then go for it. But don't read anything into it other than these are giveaways, plain and simple. If the person they are given to decides to sell them, well so be it. But CoC or Nickelodeon or DST or whomever aren't selling them, which is why they have that label on them.

Now, who has them in hand and wants to show off some pics? I'm really curious about a close up shot of the shield with Civil Warrior. Looks like a brand new tool which is exciting.

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I haven't seen the packaging yet but it might be that these don't have the required warnings to be resold. Which would be odd since a choking hazard is a choking hazard, free or not.

Well....... that' s another mystery :D .............

According to the baggie label on both of these new promos  ,Minimates are   'Not for children under  3 years' ......so I guess they are OK for children over 3 years ? Well ....apparently not because the label also states that [Minimates are] ....'For ages 4 and up' .   

Semantics & splitting linguistic hairs maybe but I was just asking :yes:

By the way the SDCC 'Geppimate' packaging shows the way forward....the packaging clearly shows that the toy (  maybe just the packaging :devil:) is for 'Ages 8+' although the packaging also states 'Not for children under 3 years'.  Clear as mud. 

I just ask the questions .

Edited by buttheadsmate
linguistic hair splitting

As far as I know, safety testing and recommended ages are two separate things. Someone over three will not choke on them, but that doesn't mean they should play with them. Not sure why some are age 4 and some are 8

The pics I posted are from packaged samples, shot by Barry.

5 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

....As for the "Not For Resale" label, that's not much different than individual Twinkie wrappers from the big multi-pack boxes that have "not packaged for individual sale" on them.

Actually that's quite a bit different as the "twinkies" in that case do not have the ingredients and nutritional info printed on the individual bags only on the outer box and food items(in the US at least) require said info on any packaging that they are sold in. you could therefore buy a box of  them and legally re-sell them as an entire box just not individually

Edited by Mattallica

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

Between comics, film, television, and animated series, I think DST has enough Marvel lines going for the moment. If they offer a video game extension, I can only see a retailer like GameStop being interested, which means

Hide contents

blind bags

Well the next logical step is clearly Lego Marvel Video Games Minimates. 

That's my f*cking problem with scalpers.

They take what other people could have gotten to make a profit. It's not making it available to other people when you're preventing the availability for so many others.

What's more convenient, going to the store to buy a toy, or going to the store to buy a toy, not being able to because it's not there because someone else got there first and threw it on eBay for triple what you would've spent in gas for that one visit + retail + tax?

Now imagine shelling out all the money that it costs to go to a convention, and wanting to get something for free, but someone else got there first and grabbed them all, and now have them on eBay for ridiculous prices.

I will never understand collectors defending the "capitalism" of scalping, and it always makes me suspect that they themselves scalp.

5 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

That's my f*cking problem with scalpers.

They take what other people could have gotten to make a profit. It's not making it available to other people when you're preventing the availability for so many others.

What's more convenient, going to the store to buy a toy, or going to the store to buy a toy, not being able to because it's not there because someone else got there first and threw it on eBay for triple what you would've spent in gas for that one visit + retail + tax?

Now imagine shelling out all the money that it costs to go to a convention, and wanting to get something for free, but someone else got there first and grabbed them all, and now have them on eBay for ridiculous prices.

I will never understand collectors defending the "capitalism" of scalping, and it always makes me suspect that they themselves scalp.

Agree completely with you, scalpers are just a plague on the collector community. 

Riveting as all this has been... back on topic...

So I was just reading on the Marvel wiki, and it sounds like maybe Guillotine may have a 616 equivalent now? Apparently? Maybe? If I'm reading correctly?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jeannine_Sauvage_(Earth-616)

Sounds like she's part of the Champions of Europe who were somehow involved in Secret Empire. But confusingly it also says her first appearance was Contest of Champions #1, which I wouldn't otherwise think was a main-universe/616 book... unless it was? I dunno, I'm not up on comics these days, so I don't have firsthand information on any of this.

But if they integrated her into the mainstream comics, I'm suddenly all the more happy to have grabbed her minimate. Is this a Harley Quinn/X-23/Firestar situation, where they took an out-of-canon creation and made her canon to the comics?

4 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

Riveting as all this has been... back on topic...

So I was just reading on the Marvel wiki, and it sounds like maybe Guillotine may have a 616 equivalent now? Apparently? Maybe? If I'm reading correctly?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jeannine_Sauvage_(Earth-616)

Sounds like she's part of the Champions of Europe who were somehow involved in Secret Empire. But confusingly it also says her first appearance was Contest of Champions #1, which I wouldn't otherwise think was a main-universe/616 book... unless it was? I dunno, I'm not up on comics these days, so I don't have firsthand information on any of this.

But if they integrated her into the mainstream comics, I'm suddenly all the more happy to have grabbed her minimate. Is this a Harley Quinn/X-23/Firestar situation, where they took an out-of-canon creation and made her canon to the comics?

That Contest Of Champions comic is actually canon. That's how they brought Night Thrasher back to life as well (not that he's really being used anywhere ?) but yes she was created for the game and then brought into the main universe.

Just got a set in the mail off eBay today despite the fact I was at the ##@%ing con. Here's some pics:

20171014_174028.thumb.jpg.a9f8e4b1789301931cb735c324c1470f.jpg20171014_174438.thumb.jpg.c93d4a23ff44591e29b97618488d59a8.jpg

Packaging is basic. Just the Contest of Champions and related logos. The characters name is not present. Each come with a clear display stand.

20171014_174413.thumb.jpg.e56044391e33222601e0d7cee76c5e20.jpg

Here's the figures underneath the add ons. Sculpted arm on Guillotine. The shield looks pretty cool.

20171014_174352.thumb.jpg.2644e327a897893fdfcea40ff77e01c4.jpg

The sword is from the old Psylocke and original Hand Ninja figures. Civil Warriors shield has the ring glued in.

Ah, she's "white" like Speed Demon, crap. Unless her character is a different ethnicity that i'm unaware of. Thanks for posting the pic, you probably saved me a few bucks.

As her own character the minimate turned out pretty cool. Sucks that you couldn't get them at the show but glad it worked out in the end.

4 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

Ah, she's "white" like Speed Demon, crap. Unless her character is a different ethnicity that i'm unaware of. Thanks for posting the pic, you probably saved me a few bucks.

She's French-Algerian. So yes, her complexion is different from someone who lives on the blue area of the moon. Although they didn't necessarily translate the game characters' complexion to the comic book.

guillotinefinal-600x550.jpg

CV0HrAtU4AAbqT1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...