UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC exclusive Contest of Champions 'mates

sha_ckwave

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a strictly limited giveaway only, at a show I'll never be able to attend, with no future release, the $28-30/pair I've seen on eBay seems a pretty good deal, so I bought them. Better deal than I got for the purple Donatello too. They're not going to be 2-pack prices, so I was prepared to pay more. That's just collecting.

Ehhhhh... I dunno. Something bugs me about when people rant and rave about Scalpers scalping in their filty scalping way. Because... As much as I hate being on the wrong end of supply and demand from time to time, as a toy collector... I'd be lying if I said I didn't love being on the right end of it from time to time.

I try not to take a "Rawr! SCALPERS!" attitude... I chalk it up to "you win some you lose some" ... if someone wasn't reselling them, none of us who aren't there would have ANY access to them, or likely ever get them. Sure they may have been free, but can't fault them for trying to get as much as they can out of them.

Yeah, I hate having to shell out the money for stuff like this but... I love it when I luck into a similarly nifty item that I can flip on ebay for a nice profit.

An example that comes to mind are those promotional dollar bills they circulated at cons the year the Dark Knight movie came out... the ones where George Washington had a sticker over him so he looked like the Joker. They were literally just a bunch of $1 bills that Warner Bros. interns slapped stickers onto... but they were selling on ebay for $25-$50 a piece. I happened to procure a few at a con. I still have one. I was happy to sell the rest for wads of money.

I literally sold 1 dollar bills for upwards of $20 each... because someone at a con put stickers on them. I can't get mad at these guys for selling actual toys, even if they did get them for free...

I'll probably jump on a pair of these before the weekend is out. Gonna wait a day or two though for the sellers to cut eachother's throats a little more.

Edited by Gillbob316

Remember, though: the con is not free. Tickets are expensive, as is travel and room and board, and obtaining anything at one of these things can be exhausting and frustrating. Paying a few dollars on eBay is still a pretty small price, all things considered.

1 hour ago, hellpop said:

Remember, though: the con is not free. Tickets are expensive, as is travel and room and board, and obtaining anything at one of these things can be exhausting and frustrating. Paying a few dollars on eBay is still a pretty small price, all things considered.

God yes. Very expensive. 

Thursday they had a pile people could take them from. Friday there was a basket where you could take one and optionally engage in some kind of trivia wheel. Neither day did I see a line.

Not sure how many they have left, or if they are rationing them at all. But it is only one per person per day.

11 hours ago, bigvis497 said:

God yes. Very expensive. 

Time is expensive as well. I get frustrated about scalpers not for what they do but in some cases how they do it. Back when there was a TRU in Times Square I saw someone put every box they had of minimates into a basket. Out of curiosity I asked why. Their response: eBay.  Mind you I didn't have room to judge as I had two Betsy Braddocks in my hand but I have never sold them. One is on my shelf the other waiting for the first to die to replace her. 

I grabbed one of the $25 pairs. Doesn't seem to be going much lower than that for the moment. I imagine it could go lower, but it will take time if it does, and it could just as easily go higher. Con promos are weird that way. Either a billion of them will oversaturate ebay in the weeks to come, and they'll drop to 10 bucks a pair, or like... they'll dry up completely and go up to $100 a pair.

So anyway, I can live with $25 for the peace of mind, lol.

Plus I bought the one that comes with free Cap and Hydra buttons... so hey... bonus. Free buttons.

Edited by Gillbob316

Did they run out for the weekend, or run out for the day? I've seen minimate promos run out early in the day many times before. I even fell victim once when I got stuck in traffic and got to the con an hour late (Zach quite kindly slipped me one from his pocket on the sly, which I thank him immensely for) ... BUT when they run out for the day, they usually have an additional supply set aside for the following day(s).

In other news, if you don't have any interest in Civil Warrior, there's a Guillotine listed by herself on ebay right now for $7.50 buy-it-now w/ $3 shipping. $10.50 isn't a bad price, compared to most out there. Lowest I've seen the pair listed for is $25, which amounts to $12.50 a piece.

To make everyone feel better about $25 for two minimates... consider what McDonald's Szechuan Sauce is currently selling for on ebay to Rick and Morty fans. Go do an ebay search for it. Believe me, as limited time promo items go on the scalping market... we're getting off light.

8 hours ago, Mattallica said:

Not a surprise, as they apparently were letting people help themselves to them, and a quick check on ebay shows several sellers with multiple sets .

No, they were monitoring the basket, but they may not have checked to make sure people weren't coming back. Or maybe someone had a few friends with them.

Because they are not meant to be sold. Other items we make are sold to stores specifically for resale. These were made to be given away.

And I'm not sure why someone who gets a Minimate and sells it is a scalper. If they ask for too much, don't pay it. If they have more than one, they cheated the system somehow and should be exiled from society. They are a rarity, not the norm.

I got one each day to give out here, I'll do a contest later.

I took full advantage of the 'Make an Offer' feature that some of the eBay auctions had. Got one set for $15 shipped!