UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC exclusive Contest of Champions 'mates

sha_ckwave

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Geppi founded Diamond Comic Distributors 35 years ago, and while he doesn't run it day to day, he owns DCD (hence the PReviews catalog), DST (hence the toys), Hakes Auction House (hence the Hakes catalog), Baltimore Magazine (hence the Baltimore magazine) and Geppi's Entertainment Museum in Baltimore (hence the GEM program). He also used to be a part owner of the Orioles, and is still a superfan, hence the baseball motif.

Sadly, I still have neither Geppi set, but they are nice.

The CoC stuff might be hard to get in the same way the latest Donatello giveaway is hard to get and for the same reasons.  I keep thinking they will start showing up in the usual 3rd party outlets, but not so much...

May I add my name to the list for CW & Guillotine? CoC is one of my guilty pleasures & no way I am able to attend NYCC.  Please & thanks in advance! :)

Haven't gone in a couple years. I used to be able to get a pro pass (as a librarian) that made it cost effective to go, but they jacked the price up on those a few years ago and I haven' been back since. And honestly, much as I enjoy cons this one has gotten so big that it's really not a lot of fun. Too many damn people around; it's impossible to do almost anything.

1 hour ago, fwoosheyman said:

They're ok. Guillotine, except for the sword looks good. Civil Warrior needs more armor parts but since he's a freebie I'm assuming he was done on the cheap. 

http://news.toyark.com/2017/09/29/marvel-contest-champions-offer-exclusive-minimates-nycc-2017-272394

Marvel-Contest-of-Champions-Minimates.jp

On 9/14/2017 at 1:41 PM, MisterPL said:

And for the uninitiated, like myself:

CnahX50XYAA-hGZ.png

tmp_17395-IMG_20160702_1803092051174731.

Not bad. That sword is wee and Cap is begging for a slip-on mask.

@BuffaloDelorean, that's assuming they kept that mold after all these years. And given the odds it wouldn't be used again I wouldn't blame them if they did. I was fully braced to be underwhelmed by the sword.

I like 'em. If someone could snag them for me, great. If not I'll live. Too busy trying to find TRU 24 and Ragnarok right now to stress over it.

Some folks have mentioned that this could be a line? (Walgreens Abomination will do, but CoC Abomination is the design that'd make me happy) Is that official or just more speculation?

I was really looking forward to Guillotine but...nah. I've already come up with a good, IMO, mod about her, but the skirt and sword... yikes. I wasn't really expecting any new pieces, but there are already existing sculpts that could've worked. Heck, they needn't have been that close, just some add-ons. I'm out of the game for all intents and purposes, but I still make customs, so maybe I'll snag her and mod her down the line. I don't imagine she'll go for crazy numbers.

4 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

I was really looking forward to Guillotine but...nah. I've already come up with a good, IMO, mod about her, but the skirt and sword... yikes. I wasn't really expecting any new pieces, but there are already existing sculpts that could've worked. Heck, they needn't have been that close, just some add-ons. I'm out of the game for all intents and purposes, but I still make customs, so maybe I'll snag her and mod her down the line. I don't imagine she'll go for crazy numbers.

Care to share your mod? I prolly won't be able to pick this up but I guess it's just as well -  that sword looks like the grooved hilt Psylocke sword that I hated. Those grooved swords stretch out the minimate hands and makes it hard for them to ever grip everything else. 

Civil Warrior is very underwhelming. Those shoulder pads impede so much movement and no slip on mask when it would have been a simple thing to do? I definitely agree that these were done on the cheeeeap. And as such I'm glad I didn't already throw down $30 to get one lol. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Care to share your mod? I prolly won't be able to pick this up and that sword looks like the grooved hilt Psylocke sword that I hated. Those grooved swords stretch out the minimate hands and makes it hard for them to ever grip everything else. 

It's a quick mod, so it'll be a bit off, considering I'm trying not involve paint, but I was thinking of:

>Boots: FA Doom or Arthur (MvC3) or Doom (MvC3) boots. I have the Doom ones as extras, but the FA ones might be a bit too high and not fit considering the skirt's length.

>Silver Gauntlets: Tons of options to choose from, but the ones I have are the Space Suit Captain America ones from the Infinity 4-Pack. Something like Raging Ultron's would work better though, I think.

For the skirt you could use the TRU NOW! Scarlet Witch's piece,but it's far too pricey for a quick mod, so I'd just give her a torso raiser, and maybe cut the middle, to make it more like the in-game model. I also used my Dante for parts, so I have an extra of that sword.

Not that great of a mod, but it's a quick and easy way to upgrade it a bit I think.

Edited by Kostisfire

Fellas... unless this is going to be a whole line, how much money for parts did you think the were really going to sink into promotional minimates? And a small run to be offered at a single booth at a single show? Sure all the parts Kosti mentioned would look better on Guil; some IM boots and the gauntlets from the Iron-Cap, a slip on mask would help CW. But more parts=more money. And apparently this was all Kabaam was willing to pay for.

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

You saying do this to modify the figure we're getting or do you have a face and hood in mind?

The former. If I were to make a custom, I'd start from scratch. It's why I said "quick mod".

7 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Fellas... unless this is going to be a whole line, how much money for parts did you think the were really going to sink into promotional minimates? And a small run to be offered at a single booth at a single show? Sure all the parts Kosti mentioned would look better on Guil; some IM boots and the gauntlets from the Iron-Cap, a slip on mask would help CW. But more parts=more money. And apparently this was all Kabaam was willing to pay for.

I think this was the "Marvel expansion" that was teased, though I'm not so sure, since I don't keep up with all the news these days. Either way, they look nice enough, just not "must-haves". But hey, at least all the pieces that need to be sculpted are silver, so it's easy to find similar parts in our extras bin.