UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC exclusive Contest of Champions 'mates

sha_ckwave

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

While I have no interest in getting CW or Guillotine, the game has a lot of looks and characters I'd like to see. Classic Vision and Ms. Marvel re-dos, modern X-Men, comic GotG...

Yeah this could be a great opportunity to get some or all of those. 

You all know by now that I'm mostly in this for the comic-based versions of minimates. 
I don't play, but I've been keeping an eye on it with a view to maybe starting playing one day. The character list for the game is pretty awesome. I'd be very happy if we saw some 'mates from the game. At a glance, a line of MCoC mini's could include:
Bondage Magik
Mass Effect Gamora
Revolutionary Cyclops (X-face)
Abomination
Modern Drax
White Bondage Magneto
The Collector
Brother Voodoo
Pretty sure there's some Inhumans in there too. This could be a nice way to fill out the 616, assuming a line goes ahead.

4 minutes ago, Gmonkey2k said:

Umm....What?

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2011/02/10_exclusive_action_figures_youll_probably_never_o.php

One of the most popular toylines of the past decade have been the figures based on the Cartoon Network shows Justice League and, more commonly, Justice League Unlimited. Even though the final episode was broadcast in 2006, the toyline is still going today.

The main Green Lantern character in Justice League Unlimited was Jon Stewart, not Hal Jordan, and so it seemed unlikely fans would ever see a Hal Jordan figure in the JLU style. But in 2005, Mattel produced 100 JLU Hal Jordans, each signed by Bruce [Timm], as a gift for employees at Warner Bros. Animation, DC Comics and Mattel. The terms of how this came about have remained vague over the years; the only thing anyone’s sure of is that Mattel somehow managed to become legally unable to produce a JLU Hal Jordan for the mass market.

Many JLU collectors are pretty diehard, and this particular exclusive has rankled fans for years. Many customs exist, some with heads cast from the actual figure. Mattel tried to placate collectors in 2009 with an SDCC exclusive Hal that almost — but not quite — let them make a Holiday Hal (he wasn’t wearing a mask).

1 minute ago, MisterPL said:

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2011/02/10_exclusive_action_figures_youll_probably_never_o.php

One of the most popular toylines of the past decade have been the figures based on the Cartoon Network shows Justice League and, more commonly, Justice League Unlimited. Even though the final episode was broadcast in 2006, the toyline is still going today.

The main Green Lantern character in Justice League Unlimited was Jon Stewart, not Hal Jordan, and so it seemed unlikely fans would ever see a Hal Jordan figure in the JLU style. But in 2005, Mattel produced 100 JLU Hal Jordans, each signed by Bruce [Timm], as a gift for employees at Warner Bros. Animation, DC Comics and Mattel. The terms of how this came about have remained vague over the years; the only thing anyone’s sure of is that Mattel somehow managed to become legally unable to produce a JLU Hal Jordan for the mass market.

Many JLU collectors are pretty diehard, and this particular exclusive has rankled fans for years. Many customs exist, some with heads cast from the actual figure. Mattel tried to placate collectors in 2009 with an SDCC exclusive Hal that almost — but not quite — let them make a Holiday Hal (he wasn’t wearing a mask).

OOhhhhhhh, thank for context! :) 

Yeah, it sucked begging for that last founding member of the JLA for so long only to find out they made him and gave the figures out for free to a few lucky souls. I'm sure the reason Mattel wasn't allowed to offer them to the mass market was to make them as valuable as possible. It's pretty rare they even show up on eBay.

I'm pretty sure the reason Mattel wasn't able to offer Hal Jordan at retail was because the Hal Jordan merchandise rights were tied up somewhere else. I worked at ToyFare at the time, and that is what I believe I was told. The movie might have been in development even then.

And that's one of the most famous examples of releasing an exclusive character to a very small audience of elites. Luckily, we have never done that, unless you count Steve Geppi, who is not a character. I'm not 100% familiar with the distribution for the Fanboy and Goth Girl characters, but aside from those two, a couple of technically different Goblins and various solid-colored BLANK Minimates, every giveaway we've done has been a character offered somewhere else, in a different package or coloration.

These CoC Mates appear to be given away (according it all goes to plan) at the booth to visitors. Not even players, visitors. I think that means everyone. So I assume you will see them on the market. If they want to promote their game with these characters, we are not going to tell them not to introduce CoC fans to Minimates. I do not know what the future of these characters and this license holds.

59 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

That story is so terrible I wish I hadn't read it :mellow:

Don't read this:

http://www.oafe.net/yo/jlglo.php

In 2005, Mattel got the Justice League Unlimited collectors' panties in a bunch by releasing a Hal Jordan Green Lantern figure. Well, maybe "releasing" isn't the right word - they made a Hal Jordan Green Lantern figure, and then they gave it away as a holiday gift to 100 Mattel employees who had worked on the JLU toyline. Yes, only 100 copies of the figure, and then the mold was destroyed. Despite the fact that Hal never really appeared on the show (and isn't much of a character anyway), some fans got royally pissed, with our own Rustin Parr declaring that Mattel had sunk to a new low.

The figure immediately began selling in the low four digits on eBay, and Mattel made it clear they wouldn't be doing a "normal" release of this figure. Ever. And true to their word, they never have. Imagine how much it would suck to be the guy who paid $3,500 for the first "Holiday Hal" offered online, only to turn around and see the same mold show up in a six-pack for $40. 

Geez, @MisterPL, thank you so much for bringing that painful memory. Next time why don't you just gimme a paper cut and pour some lemon juice on it!

11 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Geez, @MisterPL, thank you so much for bringing that painful memory. Next time why don't you just gimme a paper cut and pour some lemon juice on it!

The good news is that the DC MInimates lines is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Go through their pockets and look for loose change.