UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The End of Minimates?

See we're agreed? A giant plastic meteor is not about to cause a mass extinction?

Also, Harry Potter would be awesome. A Calvin and Hobbs 2 pack (or maybe Life of Pi, Meaning of Life, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Book, Kellog's mates, or Masters of the Universe) could sort out a certain issue and would also be awesome! But then again I suppose all of those wouldn't be enough for a certain one of us.  :P

While I'm a huge GOT fan, I don't see it working that well for minimates.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, DSTZach said:

MMPR or MOTU impossible, but highly unlikely.

MOTU is getting made into Mega Bloks

MMPR is in the same "my movie bombed, my show is in transition, and we might have overestimated our general popularity" mess that TMNT is.

23 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

The Legacy one looked pretty updated by our current standards:

fig1727f3lg.jpg

Hail Ivan.

Couldn't they do this similar to the X-Men Strike Force?  Looking at Janeway they don't seem to be accentuating breasts so all they would really need to do is have a four back of one red, yellow, and blue chest and a villian (Borg probably) and then different heads. 

@stack32- sad but true. It's not like they didn't give it a strong chance... a few times at that.:Dunno:

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

What other Minimates lines do you collect?

Mostly Marvel, though I did get the Watchmen box set. But canceling the TMNT series was unforgivable (they should have done the classic series first). Minimates used to only be carried by comic book stores for a long time so it's sad that DST has to rely on TRU to make enough sales now. If they cancel KH, that will be the final nail in the coffin.

I totally get the frustration but in all fairness, DST can't dictate what retailers want. I can understand why comic shops might prefer designs based on comic books instead of cartoons. For example, while there's definitely a niche for action figures based on the 1973 Super Friends cartoon, comic shops are probably more likely to order merchandise based on the latest DC titles. And licensors also dictate what their licensees put out to market.

So our beef isn't always with manufacturers. It's mostly with retailers. As often as we complain to the folks who WANT to make this stuff and get it in our hands, we should be vocal to the retail buyers acting as middle men, whether it's TRU or your LCS. That's why I'm glad the toy buyer for Walgreens is a member here.

16 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I totally get the frustration but in all fairness, DST can't dictate what retailers want. I can understand why comic shops might prefer designs based on comic books instead of cartoons. For example, while there's definitely a niche for action figures based on the 1973 Super Friends cartoon, comic shops are probably more likely to order merchandise based on the latest DC titles. And licensors also dictate what their licensees put out to market.

This is the reason why I think DC Minimates should return under the "Rebirth" moniker and only feature characters how they appear in Rebirth and characters that have been feautured thus far. 

30 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

This is the reason why I think DC Minimates should return under the "Rebirth" moniker and only feature characters how they appear in Rebirth and characters that have been feautured thus far. 

THIS.

applause.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

5 hours ago, Dio said:

I s2g, if KH minimates get canceled, I am DONE with buying minimates. I was really looking forward to TMNT classic series.

KH will be at multiple retailers, we haven't even solicited it yet, it will not be cancelled, not sure where this is coming from. Some characters may be swapped out, but nothing we can do about that.

1 hour ago, Dio said:

Mostly Marvel, though I did get the Watchmen box set. But canceling the TMNT series was unforgivable (they should have done the classic series first). Minimates used to only be carried by comic book stores for a long time so it's sad that DST has to rely on TRU to make enough sales now. If they cancel KH, that will be the final nail in the coffin.

I'm not sure classic was an option when we started; it may have been modern at someone's request, either TRU or the licensor, but regardless of which you personally prefer, it was the one on TV at the time, winning its time slot and with an internationally successful toy line.