UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Black Panther Movie Minimates

JeffBohn

Taste the rainbow!

a. I only meant that because Luke's  is often held up as a store that suffers for Minimates. He may feel obligated to buy everything for his customers, but he purchased everything knowing what his customers would buy. Blind bags were not intended for online retailers, they were primarily meant for comic shops and brick-and mortars, although I do not know if they were ultimately successful in attracting new retailers. So while I understand that there were 2-packs and bags that did not do well for him, he knows the fan base well enough to order what he thought he could realistically move, then charged what he needed to charge for short-packs , and clearanced what he needed to just like any other retailer. 

B. You point out in c. that casual buyers might just want an Iron Man in the AOU bags. I think the same applies to TMNT 2-packs and blind bags. And aside from the  vision quest, dark horizons and space outfits, I think the three versions -- regular eyes in 1, white eyes with pizzas and alt heads in 2, and the wacky faces and key accessories of 5 and 6 -- were all distinctively different. What I didn't like was that new characters were sometimes the chase figures. I may have proposed a change, not sure. Yes, new characters were a mix of mutants and human characters, but we can't do new tooling for every character in the line, especially tooling that can't ever be reused, and human characters were actually something TMNT fans liked, since they had not had a human Karai, Bebop or Rocksteady at that point. Also, humans and humanoids make up most of the recurring cast! Jack should have had more different faces, though.

d. The SpongeBob Box Set had an exclusive Plankton. So not an exact repackage of TRU.

E. See above about TMNT, including how we made history, and that not being a bad thing. Shiva was absolutely not a contractual thing, i imagine it was mostly a sales thing. With TRU not on board for every wave, order numbers did not always justify a significant amount of tooling in a wave, and most of that was used for new zombie parts, not to mention unique characters like Ezekiel. 

Re: poorly performing con exclusives, the Homecoming Set was actually Spidey with raised mask and food; BD Homemade suit was a mainline release. Some have said those parts should have been in the main Spidey set, and maybe it wasn't the strongest set, but a Spidey was needed for that set, to appeal to the broadest audience at SDCC. Scarlet Witch was more to cater to the small completist market, and to get out more female Avengers (she was a late addition to the approved lineup). To boost sales, we usually tried to focus on bigger characters (see AVX) and not obscure character groups, but we may be light on MM exclusives going forward. 

While an exclusive is technically a sell out, we do promote them to move inventory, and unsold product affects us the same way. Even though the retailer agreed to the exclusive, or trusted us to pick a good one, low sales can limit what they buy in the future.

5YPvTg

Edited by DSTZach

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe we have purchased exclusives from retailers who could not move them, but only if sales thought they could still sell them. I didn't know that about Luke's, if that's true, as I never saw them in inventory. Was wondering where they went. I still link to his store on that listing on our site.

And there are large retailers where, if an item is marked down, we have to pay them the difference. So again, it is in our best interest to give them sellable product and promote it. It's always nice if they help, though. 

Edited by DSTZach

a. I'll Agree to that.

b. That is a good point, but i still think wieghed against the variety of characters limited by tooling over a short time, that there is still some discovery to be made on how to ionize those customer impulses. I'd like to continue pushing the lack of mutants, especially since other companies have used their tooling for a single mutant only once or twice, BUT I will concede this as minimates are my fun collectible produced in low numbers and inexpensive, and not an insanely sought after mainstream collectible with the audience to justify whatever you feel like throwing at them. 

d. I was about to say I wanted that Plankton but I was thinking of Gary who was canceled (release him), so now I need to find that 4 pack because I missed Plankton straight up.

e. Yeah I don't know what to say about the walking dead line. I liked the first half of the series I read, and I liked the first half of the show, and I liked the mates. It just had too many competing niches going against it.

con exclusives, my bad I was thinking of the other spidey since I had just seen him on Luke's March Madness sale the other day and he was fresh in my mind. Only if sales thought they could sell them huh? Interesting. And that was a while back so I might be remembering wrong, but I think that's what happened. So how serious is this "but we may be light on MM exclusives going forward." you talking con, DST, retailers in general, is the sky falling?

BallsOfFury.gif

giphy.gif

I like DC Minimates.

As I recall, DST bought back some of Luke's exclusive sets and offered them through Previews. My LCS is still sitting on four or five sets. It's a great set, especially for newbies. It perfectly complements the Best of/Greatest Hits assortments. 

HYAH!

iEYoKm9.jpg

After seeing the movie a second time on Sunday, I noticed there were actually a lot of lighter skinned Dora, so I don't feel so inaccurate with my choices anymore. Just need to do something about the holes on the tops of their heads. I know she doesn't have blue eyes in the movie, but until we get an official one, I'm going to say the Storm-headed one is my Ayo.

I need another Vernita Green to replace the head & hands I took for that DM, and I'm laughing at the fact that five of these are Comic Michonne heads, and technically one is a TV Michonne... :lol:

21 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

HYAH!

iEYoKm9.jpg

After seeing the movie a second time on Sunday, I noticed there were actually a lot of lighter skinned Dora, so I don't feel so inaccurate with my choices anymore. Just need to do something about the holes on the tops of their heads. I know she doesn't have blue eyes in the movie, but until we get an official one, I'm going to say the Storm-headed one is my Ayo.

I need another Vernita Green to replace the head & hands I took for that DM, and I'm laughing at the fact that five of these are Comic Michonne heads, and technically one is a TV Michonne... :lol:

These are amazing! I am using Mirror Uhura as my Ayo. and then used BSG Tory, GB Patty, Skybound Agent Cohen,   Gotham Tabitha, in addition to Michonne to get different faces for my girls but it was a struggle! As always Hail Ivan

Edited by thereasonsy

• 2 years later...