Deadpool 2?

Mnemosis

A fun what if wave:

Deadpool (extra torso for X-Men shirt) & Firefist

Cable & Domino

Colossus & Negasonic Teenage Warhead

Juggernaut & Yukio

Build-A-Mate: Peter or Dopinder

(Hypothetically if we got a wave for the first movie then we would already have Weasel and Vanessa)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the film last night, and I am absolutely 

Spoiler

gutted about Bedlam, Zeitgeist and especially Shatterstar. I was really looking forward to some stupid ass-kicking fight scenes with 'Shatty-buns'.

Also, was 

Spoiler

Yukio meant to be Surge? Or was she actually meant to be the Yukio that Storm had a relationship with? Her powers looked like Surge, but her being queer made me think she was actually meant to be Yukio from the comics.

Over all, pretty good fun. I think I actually liked the first one a bit better, but this had a lot of good stuff in it.

1 hour ago, Gmonkey2k said:

From her power. I'm pretty sure she was confirmed to be Surge.

NOPE!

When actress Shiolo Kutsuna was first seen in one of the Deadpool 2 trailers swinging around an electrified chain weapon, it was speculated that she was playing Surge, a member of the New X-Men. But Deadpool 2 co-writer Rhett Reese clarified to Comic Book Resources that Kutsuna's character was just an altered version of Yukio, saying:

She's a super-minor character. The character's name is actually Yukio, an assassin --- but who's an adult assassin, so we just aged her down. She's such a minor character, we thought we could pretty much get away with anything.

• 1 month later...

^ This whole Yukio thing is my single biggest problem with Fox's X-Men Movie-verse in a nutshell.

They literally just pick names that sound cool out of a "Big Book of X-Men" when making a new movie, and if the name is relatively unknown in the mainstream, they treat it as, "Hey we can do whatever the hell we want with this character, who cares!?"

Change their powers. Age. Backstory. Put them in eras they don't belong in. Stick them on teams they have no history with. With each sequel it's literally just become, "Pick a mutant! Any mutant!" And if it sucks, who cares, we'll just recast and reboot the character in the next movie and hope no one notices.

I mean Negasonic is the same basic story... really. As well as countless other characters in other X-Men movies. Many minor, but some relatively major.

Drives me friggin' insane how sloppy and unfaithful this franchise is at times.

It *does* seem kinda weird to choose Yukio over Surge, given that Surge 1) is Japanese, 2) is age appropriate, and 3) has electricity-based powers.
Although, she's not depicted as queer in the comics (as far as I can remember), so perhaps that's why they went with Yuriko? The relationship seemed more important to the story than the actual powers or age.  

Yeah - Deadpool 2 was playing a bit fast and loose with that particular character as well. 
I suspect that the people making these films don't care as much about the lore and the minor characters as we do. In fact, that's almost exactly what the quote Mattalica shared said regarding Yukio:

She's such a minor character, we thought we could pretty much get away with anything.

They probably felt exactly the same way about Vanisher.

9 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

The lack of continuity bothers me too, but playing devil's advocate, there's really nothing to say they aren't two unrelated people both named Yukio. No one was complaining that Peter was an unfaithful adaptation of Pete Wisdom.

Say what now? I know there were some fan theories that Peter might have been Pete Wisdom, but apart from the name, there's literally nothing to link him to the character. No powers. No intelligence work background. It mostly seemed like misdirection to call him Pete W.  Like - they makers of D2 were deliberately screwing with people.

Edited by Nessex

1 hour ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I had no idea that had been a theory, it was just an example to show that having the same name didn't necessarily mean they were meant to be the same character.

It was never really substantiated, but a quick google search shows a bunch of fan theories.