UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Deadpool 2?

Mnemosis

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But....there aren't that many albino actresses out there, right?  Domino's comicbook skin color doesn't occur naturally all that often.  So, even a "white" (Caucasian) actress wouldn't be comicbook accurate, or, really, on the color spectrum, all that close.

Personally don't care about skin color; I'm more concerned about character portrayal (Ned Leeds in Homecoming is Ganke, and should have been named such), and placement in the timeline (MJ doesn't meet Peter in high school (and Michelle shouldn't have the same nickname, even as an easter egg)).

The majority of the comicbook characters portrayed in movies weren't "born" yesterday.  Unless you're making a period piece, those origins and such need an update.

Domino may not be albino but she's pretty pasty. If it's makeup then by all means put her in the right makeup. I won't be offended.

Batwoman is pretty pale, too. That's been written into her character description. I'd hate to see a filmmaker change that aspect of an already updated heroine.

On the flip side I wasn't happy that Heath Ledger's Joker wore "war paint" instead of being chemically bleached of skin color. That was always a defining characteristic of the character. That permanent change of hues in hair, lips, and flesh is what pushed him toward becoming the Clown Prince of Crime, not the grin from a gunshot Tim Burton gave him.

1 hour ago, Mattallica said:

Has it ever been stated that comic Domino is an albino? she doesnt appear to have any other albino traits. 

Um...I didn't say that Domino was albino.  I said that an actress with Domino's skin color would have to be an albino to be naturally occurring.  Which is what the conversation seemed to be about:  Comicbook characters should be portrayed by actors with the same naturally occurring skin tones.  Despite the peculiarities of comicbook coloring, Domino is clearly portrayed as having unusually white skin, as opposed to a Caucasian coloration of "white".  Thus, as with Nightcrawler, there's a really bad chance of her being portrayed by an actress with the same skin tone.

1 hour ago, JediJohnson said:

Um...I didn't say that Domino was albino.  I said that an actress with Domino's skin color would have to be an albino to be naturally occurring.  Which is what the conversation seemed to be about:  Comicbook characters should be portrayed by actors with the same naturally occurring skin tones.  Despite the peculiarities of comicbook coloring, Domino is clearly portrayed as having unusually white skin, as opposed to a Caucasian coloration of "white".  Thus, as with Nightcrawler, there's a really bad chance of her being portrayed by an actress with the same skin tone.

I don't normally engage in these types of conversations due to how my demographic (White male between 20 and 40) is demonized for speaking their mind. But, here goes! 

I get the point you're making about the "naturally occuring skin tone"; however, I think you may be playing devil's advocate. I think most people are pointing out the hypocrisy of the whole white washing Hollywood argument that is made. If a white actor is cast as any other nationality it's offensive and white washing. If any other nationality is cast as a white (not Albino or pigmentally augmented character in the case of Domino) it's considered groundbreaking and empowering. 

Oddly enough, I don't have any issues when a literary, not comic book, character is cast as any nationality or skin color so long as they fit the role and do a great job. Characters from books are described by the author but they don't already have an artist drawing them a certain way for years and years. Comic book characters have a look. They've been drawn as a certain way for many, many years. 

In this specific case, I don't mind. I've never (please don't hurt me) been a huge X fan outside of the core team. The timelines get wonky and there's a million X spinoffs. But I also didn't mind Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin. I didn't mind Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent. I was saddened to hear the Internet cry foul at the casting of Iron Fist. the hypocrisy is what upsets me. And from what I've read in this thread, that seems to be the recurring theme. 

4 hours ago, JediJohnson said:

Um... I didnt say that you said she was an albino, i simply asked if the comic character was ever refered to as one,  dont be so quick to get offended or add words to what people say.

Women, queer people and people of colour have, historically, not had a lot of good representation in mainstream media. There's no getting around that. 
Turning traditionally white/male characters into non-white/non-male characters corrects an imbalance in our media/entertainment.
Doing the reverse (casting a white actor in an asian/black/etc... role) does not. 

If you have an issue with a character being assigned another race or gender, ask yourself why you're having a problem with it. Can the character still do all the things they did before as this new race/gender? Because that's often the point of those recasts - being white doesn't mean you're better at aiming a gun and wearing leather. 

I can understand people feeling a little bit like they are losing something, because having a white/male icon that you particularly like and look up to 'taken away' feels unjust.
But there are a lot of them out there, and now - some little black/female/trans/islamic kid is getting someone to look up to. In some cases, for the first time.

1 minute ago, Nessex said:

Women, queer people and people of colour have, historically, not had a lot of good representation in mainstream media. There's no getting around that. 
Turning traditionally white/male characters into non-white/non-male characters corrects an imbalance in our media/entertainment.
Doing the reverse (casting a white actor in an asian/black/etc... role) does not. 

If you have an issue with a character being assigned another race or gender, ask yourself why you're having a problem with it. Can the character still do all the things they did before as this new race/gender? Because that's often the point of those recasts - being white doesn't mean you're better at aiming a gun and wearing leather. 

I can understand people feeling a little bit like they are losing something, because having a white/male icon that you particularly like and look up to 'taken away' feels unjust.
But there are a lot of them out there, and now - some little black/female/trans/islamic kid is getting someone to look up to. In some cases, for the first time.

dont forget we are not talking about a white male role, and i hear what your saying about the imbalance of white to non-white but lets create strong characters of all races, genders. sexual orientations not give "hand-me down" roles to fill some imagined quota, that to me is a slap in the face of those "non-white" actors

But none of the women in X-Force are black. 

@Mattallica I take your point about 'hand-me-down' roles. Unfortunately, what you're talking about takes years of cultivating. We love Domino because she's been kicking @ss for 20 years. We've followed her adventures for decades. A new person couldn't deliver an appropriate character that has Domino's ties to Deadpool and is black for this particular film. I'll admit - it's a short-cut and it would be optimal to have a fully developed black/asian/latina character ready to go, but we don't :(

And speaking from personal experience with regards to 'hand-me-downs', I lost my sh*t when Shatterstar & Rictor came out. In a good way. They had been two of my favourite characters as a kid. Growing up queer, there were very few gay characters that I could look up to. These guys were tough, brutal, cool, young x-people. They're whole story hadn't revolved around the pain and anguish of 'coming out' as most of the few 'gay' stories we got did in the 80's and 90's. They were adventuring, kicking butt and taking names.
I was an adult when they came out. I was maybe 30, and it still meant heaps to me. Imagine what something like that would mean to a 15yo who was just discovering who they were as a young person.

I'm not even sure whether I , as an Englishman born in England , straight ,god-fearing & white ,am actually 'normal' or not but I do my best to try & be open to anybody that is different to me ........I'm not 'phobic' in any way .

Regards casting, I grew up thinking Nick Fury was somewhat different to the guy I now see in the movies .......SLJ is however perfect IMHO.   Sometimes brave casing works sometimes not .

Be thankful you don't have to poke up with British TV's portrayal of 'normal' everyday life . TV 'inclusiveness' has gotten so bad that a guy like me would seem like a bizarre oddity .

But you knew that.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

Isn't Stingray a Sub-Mariner character?

He is/was, but he was also in Deadpool and the Mercs for Money fairly recently.

The second lineup of that team included Machine Man in more or less his Nextwave look, which would be my biggest want from another DP wave.

52 minutes ago, Gmonkey2k said:

Do we know if we're even getting a DP2 tie-in wave? 

@DSTZach Any comment?

I don't think we know anything about upcoming Marvel releases past wave 75 and the BP movie.

Domino's only race is mutant. It does not matter to me the race of the actress cast, I only ask she be attractive. Zazie Beetz is frickin' gorgeous, IMO. (I personally would've cast an Asian woman - who are getting even less representation than African Americans - but I was very happy when Zazie had been announced.)

The makeup looks lazy & unimaginative.

Domino's paper white skin (caucasian people aren't "white" - Domino is white) and ink black spot (people of African descent aren't "black" - Domino's spot is black) are part of her mutation. The same way Anole is green, and Mystique & Nightcrawler are blue, and Blink is pink, etc.

"Oh, but NTW isn't comic faithful!" Stop. That argument is weak. Comic NTW is lame as crap. I don't need anything to be faithful to the source material if it can improve upon it. They improved upon it. She still looks goth, but not weird creepy goth, and they gave her powers that fit her codename, as opposed to premonitory dreams (which are not only lame, but also useless in any kind of defensive or offensive capacity).

I would've welcomed a more creative interpretation on her makeup, as long as the color palette remained faithful. I'm fine with the shape of the spot and attributing it to vitiligo, and maybe even adding a few more discreet spots to support that would've been cool (maybe one by her jawline/earlobe/neck on the opposite side from the eye, one by her armpit/upper chest under the eye, the opposite forearm/wrist, etc).

They really should've taken inspiration from Jaylah from Star Trek Beyond (Sofia Boutella also not caucasian):

jaylah-header.jpg

It's not "white-washing" or "white-face" any more than Zoe Saldana is "green-washed" or in "green-face" for GotG. Domino isn't human, she doesn't need to look like a human. It's like saying "oh, we're going to have an all-flesh Colossus, but we'll say his skin still turns into metal, it just doesn't look like it."

EDIT: She currently does not look like a "domino," which is why she's called that.

Edited by TENIME_art