UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Deadpool 2?

Mnemosis

47 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

Regardless of whether you like her outfit or not, just be happy she's in the movie. You know what? On second thought, I'm boycotting the MCU until Anthony Mackie puts this on for Infinity War:

IMG_1465.JPG

I didn't feel like seeing Logan because we never saw him in costume so I feel that. 

I think it's an underwhelming design. It's a cool concept but the execution is underwhelming.

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Men- Apocalypse did not get a wave. Considering that's also about the time things got truly spiteful between Fox and Disney, X-Fans should be thankful there's been ANY new X-Mates during this cold war.

Hate to say it, but I'm losing track of who's where in the X-verse. Is there a current all new all different Marvel Now X-Force lineup? I mean since Cable's last one fizzled out?

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

It's kinda hilarious that making comic characters appear as they did in the comics would be any kind of "washing". That's like casting someone from India or any Asian country as the Joker and then saying bleaching their skin would be whitewashing it's part of the character design. 

Except that skin bleaching is a serious epidemic in many Asian countries due to years of western media influence and imperial systems that promoted the idea of darkened skin being tied to 'outside work' that was generally done by poor people. 
Comics were often created by white men and are a product of their time. We know better now, and we can show that in how we interpret characters on the screen in modern adaptations.

Domino is often a pretty lazy character in terms of design in the comics now. Stealth assassin lady wears skin-tight black leather. Where's the 'design' there? Aside from casting a black chick to play her, this outfit seems pretty on point to me.  

People are disappointed in the character design, not the costume design, unless there was a whole bunch of complaining about that outfit somewhere that I missed, and that makes sense because the chalk-white skin and black circle are the most notable thing about Domino. I'm not sure why it's any more enlightened to choose not to portray a character with a completely unrealistic skin tone, but then I don't really enough about Dom to get too upset either.

Also, MCU Falcon > Comics Falcon.

Re: Movie Domino...

For me it's the afro. I can't stand the afro. Never been a fan of afros. Think it looks stupid, think it doesn't suit the character or the era in which the movie takes place. Looks like a 60s/70s movie character in a modern day action flick.

As far as her skin... I kinda hate that discussing these things on the internet inevitably becomes a racial debate. Not the first time it's happened with a comic book movie casting call, nor the last I'm sure. BUT... I've always enjoyed this board as it's relatively small and we're mostly civilized here. So onward I press... Can I live with the changes to her skin color for the movie? Sure. I'd have preferred a comic-accurate white domino (and I mean white white, not Caucasian white)... BUT I understand why casting a black woman and then painting her white would have been a terrible call. The question then becomes, "So why cast a black woman?" ... well that's a whole other ball of BS debate I'm just going to dance around...

I feel like I'm kind of tired of the "Should they v. Shouldn't they" race change debate when it comes to comic book characters. I feel like often there are comic fans who want to say, "I hate all race changes because I'm a fan and I want accuracy!" and the world fires back, "No, you hate all race changes because you're racist!" ... which isn't the case. Tilda Swinton gets cast as The Ancient One and people call it white-washing. Zendaya gets turned into a surprise twist MJ, and people call it progressive. Meanwhile I feel like comic book fans cringe at both and say, "I don't know how I feel about this" ... lol. I honestly don't hate all race changes... I find I react to changes differently based on the character and performance. I loved Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin. I was indifferent to Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo. And Idris Elba as Heimdell as well, neither loved nor hated him. I loved Liam Neeson as R'as Al Ghul, thought he was perfect. I thought it was super weird they cast Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, but I heard there were potentially political reasons regarding Asian movie markets?? Hated the idea behind Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin, though I did think he played it well (both pre and post reveal). I dislike the Zendaya as MJ reveal... I think it feels forced, like a deliberate move to distance Homecoming from the previous movies. I frankly feel like a lot of the racial diversity in Homecoming felt forced. And like many comic book fans, I HATED Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm (but I feel like any time I said so, I was written off as a racist and ignored.) 

I feel like I don't have any inherent problem with casting Zazie Beetz as Domino. I think like Gamora or Nebula, the fact she has a non-traditional skin color in the comics (white though it may ironically be) makes me less inclined to mentally "assign" a race to her. Kind of the old "Spider-Man can be any race to any person because you can't see his face" idea.

I could have been fine with the design... as was said, Domino tends to wear guns and black leather. Movie Domino is wearing guns and black leather. Seems fine to me... if not for that damned afro.

Edited by Gillbob316

I definitely understand that @Gillbob316 although I don't mind the Afro as much. I think Chalk white skin and a fro would've been a great middle ground. I've rocked the Fro a few times and I think they're pretty cool. 

@Nessex I'm not quite sure if that was just a random factoid to perhaps dismiss my opinion or if you or someone you know is affected by it, in which case I'm sorry.  I'm well aware of some of the Asian beauty standards however since I guess my family is a byproduct of it. My mom is white and my dad is Korean. Elective surgeries on the face are also really popular. It's terrible but I'd have to say if I asked any of my Korean family right now I doubt they'd say The Joker was their ideal standard of beauty or skin tone as well as the reason some asians bleach their skin but -shrug- everyone is different and that could be the case to some. Although you're certainly right it could certainly be an effect of western influence especially if you look at the eye surgeries. I think most of my extended family probably has a bit more to worry about though aside from skin bleaching but again I'm sorry if you or anyone you know is affected by it.

Anyhow perhaps I should have been more clear when I meant anyone with any skin tone would have had to put on paint and should kinda expect to when they auditioned for the role of a character who has defining physical features such as chalk white skin. Even if my brother or sister was lucky enough to grow up to be an actor and get cast as Morbius, Deadman, Joker, or Harley Quinn, I'd still be like "put on the paint" to em because it's iconic and It's literally part of the character. Maybe that's insensitive and I've just never been scolded for it but who knows. 

I get the push for diversity believe me there's like 4 Asian mainstream Marvel characters I can think of off the top of my head? I want Asian heroes my siblings can look up to for sure. Do I wish there was an Asian Psylocke? Yeah. Do I want more Nico? Yes and the runaways looks interesting. Brian Tee as Namor? Sure. Colleen Wing was great but the complaint about Danny showing her how to master her chi was ridiculous to me. Then again Ive always related a lot to him since I am the white kid of my family - I'm not Korean I don't have the pigmentation of my skin but I'd still say I have at least a bit of the culture and it's a really weird spot to be in. It definitely could have offended someone in some Asian country however so there is that. If it makes people feel super uncomfortable I guess don't paint your skin but it seems kinda silly to me to not give an entire fan base an accurate character just because the actor/actress signed up to play a character with unnatural skin and then didn't want to put on unnatural colored skin paint when it came time to play the role especially when you factor in how much money they're making to portray said character. 

I'm sorry again if I offended you Nessex and I'm sorry if anyone in your family does bleach their skin. It sucks and it is terrible and I totally get the push to diversify comics and movies and support it. However painting characters chalk white is still silly to me and doesn't seem like a product of white People writing "superwhite" characters. it still baffles me that there's so much controversy surrounding painting a person an unnatural color. 

Also character design wise anyone who just puts a spot on their face when the character originally had other visual elements such as chalk white skin is lazy to me. It'd be like deadman or joker without chalk white skin. They're just normal dudes at that point.

First world problems I guess, eh. Rant over :P 

Domino's white skin and black eye spot are (I'd say pretty inarguably) her most memorable/enduring design traits. So while I have no problem whatsoever with a black woman in the role, I can see why fans of the character would be disappointed that she lacks her signature look.

To be honest, I don't really have an opinion, both because I care very little about Domino in the first place, and because comic accuracy in Fox Marvel movies very rarely correlates to actual quality, with DoFP being a notable exception.

15 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Hate to say it, but I'm losing track of who's where in the X-verse. Is there a current all new all different Marvel Now X-Force lineup? I mean since Cable's last one fizzled out?

AFAIK there hasn't been an active X-Force team since Secret Wars, although the Marvel Legacy solicits for Cable are showing an X-Force-ish "Newer Mutants" team.

I thought I just recently saw a picture of an upcoming solicit showing black and silver X-23 Wolverine (IE. Laura in her Wolverine Costume, but black and silver instead of blue and yellow) ala X-Force. Where did I see that? That made me assume it was going to be a thing soon, lol.

18 minutes ago, Gillbob316 said:

I thought I just recently saw a picture of an upcoming solicit showing black and silver X-23 Wolverine (IE. Laura in her Wolverine Costume, but black and silver instead of blue and yellow) ala X-Force. Where did I see that? That made me assume it was going to be a thing soon, lol.

That's Laura's current costume, I believe. If she doesn't have it yet she will soon. I think it's good enough to merit a minimate, but I'm not sure how likely that is considering ANAD Spidey was only just announced. It's still probably a better chance than any current look X-Man without a solo book has, though.

@The Scarlet Spider - apologies if i came off as scolding you. I probably came across stronger than I needed to. I grew up as a bit of a social minority, despite being white and male. Members of my family are chinese, and sometimes I get a bit worked up about asian representation in media. 
I don't think anyone would 'look up' to the Joker as a beauty standard. I think there would be room for an asian person to play a character like the Joker or Morbius where something happened to to cause their skin to turn pale (chemical accident or death). I think there are subtleties that warrant consideration in other instances though. 

Comics are a very visual medium. For a long time, the way a character looked was sometimes the most important thing about them. Storytelling hasn't always been every comic's strong point and I can understand for a lot of people how a character is defined by their costume or appearance. However, I think if the most notable thing about a character is the way they look, then they're probably not a great (see: well developed) character. For me, Domino is tough as nails; someone who is dependable and fiercely loyal; someone who's a capable leader; but also someone who talks back someone who's not afraid to have a little joke at the expense of someone who outranks her. While I think her comic book look is super cool, I don't think it ever had a huge impact on her character or how she interacted with others. 

@Nessex it's easy to misinterpret on the internet and there definitely isn't a lot of Asian representation. I know where you're coming from. I think an Asian could probably play morbius. My brother already has the upturned nose thing going on but part of Morbius' story is where he immigrated from so I'm not sure. Definitely Joker though as he's a blank slate background wise.

With Domino it still just seems lazy and making a mountain out of a mole hill by not doing the makeup(admittedly I'm probably doing the same by complaining :P). If they were going with a reverse domino they could have had a deep pitch black body paint. Like I said she basically looks just like a normal person as it is now. I guess maybe black paint could've offended someone too but that's part of the whole ridiculousness I don't get with these things. I will never get why Fictional character designs are so offensive though if  they're usually just tied to mutations, death, or chemical accidents or why someone wouldn't want to follow a comic design when it's literally already drawn out for you and time tested. The comic designs are striking and maybe you're right and they don't need that anymore but I'll definitely miss it. 

I dig the hair change though. I like the Fro. Then again Pete's mullet days are my favorite look for him and I'm hoping Holland plays Pete long enough to wear it like that. 

When conversations like this come up, I wonder where the backlash was against Chris Evans as Cap.  He's supposed to be blond, not brunette!  Horrible casting choice?  Uninspired?  Lazy?  Compromising the character?

Domino is supposed to be visually striking.  The movie version does that.  Ok by me.  I'm sure the film makers we're looking for someone that would bring the necessary attitude to the part, and that should be what matters most.  And I'm sure Deadpool will have a forth-wall-breaking quip about it in the movie.

8 minutes ago, Turtle said:

When conversations like this come up, I wonder where the backlash was against Chris Evans as Cap.  He's supposed to be blond, not brunette!  Horrible casting choice?  Uninspired?  Lazy?  Compromising the character?

That would be a great point if Evans didn't color his hair when playing Cap.

To me i find it more of a gimmick, to get people talking about these movies, when they change a character like this. like they say there is no bad press so if people are upset at least they are talking about the movie,  Zazie Beetz is a beautiful young lady, but she doesn't look like domino to me, it's not that im a  racist, far from it actually, i just like these characters to look like they do on the comic page,  that means Domino should be White, not Caucasian,  chalk white( to use scarlet spiders term). as a huge Captain America fan i would have been absolutely outraged had they tried to have Falcon be anything other than a black man, i realize there are far less comic characters that are black, or Asian, or female, or Gay, or ..... that is what needs to change and is changing as comic creators are becoming more diverse, and with that we will start to get more diverse heroes in our movies.  what most don't understand is that for the longest time comic creators were almost exclusively white males, and an aspect of comics has always been an unconscious view of the creator as the hero thus white males creating fantastical versions of themselves.this was not done to exclude others for the most part it was just an outlet for nerds to feel special. now people are making more conscious choices to  create characters with more diversity, this is great, but again does not make those that came before evil or racist just as it shouldn't get those that prefer the movie representation of these characters be truer to their comic counterparts, getting labeled a racist or bigot.just  My $.02

4 hours ago, stack32 said:

That would be a great point if Evans didn't color his hair when playing Cap.

His hair has been lightened, but it's never been what I would call blond, and it's gotten darker with every movie.  That beard is certainly not blond in Infinity War images that have been released.

• 4 weeks later...

This whole thing dropped off my radar for a while. Finding this thread again re-ignited my....displeasure for the design. Although, I do see why they wouldn't paint her white it's just....ugh. People are saying to wait and that Zazie will be PERFECT for the role, but think of it like this. IF they wanted to avoid this whole thing I'm sure they could've casted an actress that could've been just as great as Zazie AND made the hardcore fans happy. I don't know if this will come across as insensitive, but I'm just trying to lay me thought's on the issue out. As I'm being instructed (bullied) to do by the internet, I'll withhold my judgement until the movie comes out.

*end rant*

I'd have been fine with the black icon changing to white if they'd cast a BLACK actress. Quite honestly, she's still light-skinned enough to have the black icon over her eye. If The CW can cast African-American albino Krondon as Tobias Whale then it seems like Deadpool 2 could have found a better looking Domino.

That said, it's still possible that this is an origin story for her and she'll end up looking a lot more like her comic book counterpart by the end of the film.

11 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

That said, it's still possible that this is an origin story for her and she'll end up looking a lot more like her comic book counterpart by the end of the film.

OH, the SJW internet rage that would cause, :wacko:

on a related note and some what ironic that Ed Skrein (Ajax) dropped  out of the next Hellboy movie after learning that the character they wanted him to portray is of Asian decent, and he didnt feel right playing him as a white man, too bad ms. Beetz didnt feel the same.

Edited by Mattallica

Portraying an established character is one thing. Accusations of "whitewashing" are another. Putting a non-black actor in "blackface" is considered even more heinous but thanks to systemic racism in the United States, there's a double standard.

Black performers get comic book characters previously established as white like Nick Fury, Kingpin, Johnny Storm, Harvey Dent, Perry White, Heimdall, Baron Mordo, Valkyrie, Iris West, Sarah Essen, Catwoman, Pete Ross, James Olsen, J'onn J'onnz, Wildcat, Wild Dog, Hawkgirl, Kid Flash, Tulip O'Hare, and now Domino. White performers get Asian characters like The Ancient One and The Mandarin. I don't see Blade or Black Panther being played by anyone but black dudes anytime soon but I fully expect someone to put a man of color in the role of Bruce Wayne.

Personally, I just want to be entertained. We're talking about fictional characters, not historical figures. Deadpool 2 is an action comedy, not a documentary.

just to be clear i think we are more or less of the same mind on this, i agree with everything you say above except id like true representations of all characters, even fictional ones. as to change them always seems to smack of " look how hip and PC we are to have a "Man/Woman/ Gay/ Straight/ Black/White/Asian etc..." playing in a traditionally different "Man/Woman/ Gay/ Straight/ Black/White/Asian etc..." role. yes, it shouldnt be that way but unfortunately thats always the way it comes off.

If a character's culture or color is as key to their identity as their character, I'd sooner stick to the source material. As an outsider, Danny Rand can stay white. It makes less sense from the SJW perspective to make the guy who's an expert in martial arts Asian because it feeds into the stereotype. That said, Danny could have been anything but Asian and still be that outsider. It all depends on the story.

Tobias Whale never struck me as an African-American albino but I have no problem with him being depicted by one. Michael Clarke Duncan was a fine choice for Kingpin because, first and foremost, they needed a guy physically bigger than Affleck who could actually act. I don't recall Wilson Fisk ever calling out his European heritage in comics but even if he did, there are black folks in Europe these days.

Times change. There was a time when it made no sense for a white Bruce Wayne to adopt a non-white Dick Grayson because it would have called attention to their crime-fighting alter egos. Today it might not be such a big deal. And if Green Hornet and Kato can get away with it...

But yes, such changes shouldn't be forced.