UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Disney Streaming Service

So I saw that disney announced that they're taking off all their movies from Netflix to try an make their own streamin service. Anyone else hear about this? Wasn't there supposed to be a deal with Netflix about the Disney movies? What does this mean for marvel Netflix I wonder... I might have to find other ways to watch them if this happens. The only reason I pay for Netflix is the convenience factor as most entertainment can be "acquired" elsewhere for free. I don't see this doing well for either company. If every company tries to make a streaming service it seems like it'd be even worse than paying for cable/satellite. 

From what I read:

Current movie deal will run out; at end of agreement, mouse house movies go exclusive to Disney Streaming service.

Currently, Marvel Netflix shows are not affected.  Different contract.  Obviously, could change in future.

Disney Streaming will have Disney movies and broadcast tv properties; new exclusive movies/shows to be developed.

Netflix knew this was coming... why do you think they've been on such a new materials/series tare? They made too much money and made it look too easy to everyone else. Much like the direct to DVD/video market that preceded it, the streaming bubble is about to burst. I suspect the next model will be some kind of cable/streaming hybrid, not too different from Sling's pick your package kind of deal. Or someone will offer to bundle a bunch of different baby-flix services together for a reduced rate. Problem for the consumer is it's going to be even harder to watch all your programing without paying through the nose until the market sorts itself.

I think Disney overestimates what consumers will pay for their product, which I suppose they already do by forcing retailers to not discount their Blu-Ray discs. People like the major streaming services because you can find a wide variety of movies/shows at a great price and it's relatively affordable to subscribe to a few of them but if you're talking more than three customers are just going to check out. I love the Netflix Marvel content but I'm out if Disney tries to force me to buy another subscription.