UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Vinimates

The Scarlet Spider

I just don't know why they wouldn't since they obviously have a decent enough relationship to have the KH license for both Vinimates and Minimates, and a Marvel minimate license, as well as making statues/banks for Marvel . 

I mean it's not like fans have been clamoring for Maximates for a while now... even the static ones. Those sentinels can still go for a pretty penny on the aftermarket...  if they were to make 8" Vinimates like that for sentinels I know I'd be trying to get my hands on at least 8. I'd probably even get 4" vinis of Wolverine and Spidey and DEFINITELY Hulk, Juggernaut, Rhino, and Thanos. With Infinity Wars so close I don't know how a Thanos Vini could NOT get made if they were able to make them. As well as the fact that people like myself who want bigger articulated mates would probably buy bigger characters in multiple poses if they made them. Like if they made one of the Rhino charging forward as well as one of him rearing up. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

I believe Zach recently stated the Marvel license is very specifically limited to 2" mates, and vinimates were not an option. DST would like to, but talk to the pencil pushers in charge. (what do we call them now that practically no one actually uses pencils anymore after school?) 

I believe Vinimates falls under the vinyl figure category and would have certain restrictions like size, price, and market. With so many other similar products out there, I doubt Marvel would be interested even if the category were available.

The trick is to find a category that IS available and make it work with Vinimates. That's how Funko got Star Wars for their Pop! line (they have to be bobble heads).

Maybe if Marvel Vinimates had a bottle opener on the bottom of a base.

On 8/1/2017 at 2:50 AM, The Scarlet Spider said:

I just don't know why they wouldn't since they obviously have a decent enough relationship to have the KH license for both Vinimates and Minimates, and a Marvel minimate license, as well as making statues/banks for Marvel .

KH and Marvel are different licenses, with different parties involved. Disney and Marvel are, effectively, different licensors -- we work with different people at each. Same with Lucasfilm, we have no rights there, not any more.

Hasbro has the Master Toy License for Marvel, anything new needs to be cleared by them, in case they are interested. Most of what we do we started before Hasbro came on board. We've added PVC dioramas, Retro Action Figure Sets and statues. There was no master toy licensee for Kingdom Hearts. Aside from I guess Square Enix and whoever makes Figuarts, we're pretty much it. I think Monogram has pins.

We do not and have never had the license for Marvel banks -- that is with Monogram, and has been for quite some time.

Paperweight?  Phone Charger?  Garden Gnome?

"Hi Marvel, yes, we at DST are very interested in entering the vinyl yard ornament market, and think your characters would be a perfect fit."

All I could find were some 'parody' gnomes, so you've got a clear path!

https://www.amazon.com/Parody-Gnomes-Captain-Gnomerica/dp/B00I5BK99S

2 hours ago, youbastards said:

In the world of licensing, is a carrying case considered a "toy"?  Just wondering.  A big ass Galactus Minimate-styled head ala Vader would be cool.

Yes, it would. The trick would be quantity. We have never sold that many MM carrying cases in any edition, but it was okay, because they were cardboard. To make a plastic one, the minimum is much, much higher. .

1 hour ago, JeffBohn said:

Paperweight?  Phone Charger?  Garden Gnome?

"Hi Marvel, yes, we at DST are very interested in entering the vinyl yard ornament market, and think your characters would be a perfect fit."

All I could find were some 'parody' gnomes, so you've got a clear path!

https://www.amazon.com/Parody-Gnomes-Captain-Gnomerica/dp/B00I5BK99S

Wow. I don't think "parody" applies to merchandise. I wonder if that is a licensed product, or just someone they have not C&D'd yet. I assume the latter, but if not... wow.