UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Steve Geppi 35th Anniversary Minimate

I kinda expected this to be a thread already.  Anyone seen the DST private release Steve Geppi set?

geppi_zpsmwxvhyqh.jpg

Given out to Diamond employees and to SDCC retailer/press event attendees.

I know this was a promo, but how much would a tiny run like this cost? I was thinking it wasn't cost effective to produce Minimates in small quantities.

It was not a tiny run, we made the minimum, which is fairly large. The difference is that they are privately held, not for sale. They were given to everyone on staff at Diamond/DST (100+) and everyone at the retailer/press reception (200+). There are more, but I do not know what will be done with them. I imagine they will be given out at other events, and more will find their way to market. DST does not own them, so we can't sell them.

On 7/27/2017 at 2:14 PM, TBT! said:

But you could give them away? ;) you know just saying...
T.

DST did not give any away. It was not a DST party, it was a Geppi Family party, incorporating all of his businesses, including DST. The Geppi family gave them away. And the management at Diamond gave them to their employees as a part of the 35th anniversary celebration. We just helped them get made.

While I get the interest in it as a curiosity and rarity, I do not understand the importance being placed on it as a Minimate, or the belief that it should be more widely available.

Completism is an ugly disease @DSTZach, it can make a man do strange, strange things. Remember these guys have chased mates of bakers before.

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

While I get the interest in it as a curiosity and rarity, I do not understand the importance being placed on it as a Minimate, or the belief that it should be more widely available.

I'm perhaps missing something.......is there much interest in it  ?  A dozen or so posts in this thread( 3 by 'DSTZach'), less in a similarly veined thread that I started:Dunno:

-butthypesmate

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

DST did not give any away. It was not a DST party, it was a Geppi Family party, incorporating all of his businesses, including DST. The Geppi family gave them away. And the management at Diamond gave them to their employees as a part of the 35th anniversary celebration. We just helped them get made.

Happy 35th Anniversary Mr Geppi, I genuinely hope your employees are content enough that they don't use these toys with your likeness for awkward or unsavoury things then take pictures and post them all over the internet!

The draw of the set as i see it Zach, was the surprise factor and relative rarity, we're a curious bunch and the completists are even curiouser, I think it's safe to say though that It's unlikely that we're all going to be clamouring for a vinimate of this guy to be made & have full distibution.

T.

5 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I'm perhaps missing something.......is there much interest in it  ?  A dozen or so posts in this thread( 3 by 'DSTZach'), less in a similarly veined thread that I started:Dunno:

-butthypesmate

Fair enough. I have seen the interest in my personal inbox, but perhaps it is because all of my friends are completists. :)

I've already seen one member quit the hobby due to this one item, so perhaps that is why I am overweighting it. Ignore me!

This is a neat figure as a giveaway to people. I might would buy it for like $3 if it was readily available. But it's not something I could see myself spending real money on as it's not something with any real attachment. It's interesting because it's odd and rare.

I understand completism as well, but yeah, this is not a big deal IMO. I mean, I collected JLU and Mattel once made an exclusive like this, but it was Hal Jordan and was given to WB employees as a gift and then swore to never make "Holiday Hal" as a JLU figure despite making like, everyone else ever in the Justice League. It became the ultimate grail and in many ways was an understandable reason for people to get mad at Mattel and quit the line. And even though it NEVER mattered to anyone except the thousands of people who collected the line, Mattel stuck to their guns and never offered a true Hal figure to JLU fans. They eventually released an "unmasked" version, which was stupid and more salt in the wounds, but never the figure that people wanted.

This, meh, not comparable to that. 

After seeing this mate, I hope DST does a box set of the sales team that travels to all the shows. :D 

It would be awesome to have Chuck, Zack, Chris and the guy I don't remember his name right now. They could be wearing the awesome shirts that Zach designs for them and be packed with the shopping bags from Mallrats, and some mini-Minimates.

They could sell them, or give them away with $100 purchases at the show!

21 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

After seeing this mate, I hope DST does a box set of the sales team that travels to all the shows. :D 

It would be awesome to have Chuck, Zack, Chris and the guy I don't remember his name right now. They could be wearing the awesome shirts that Zach designs for them and be packed with the shopping bags from Mallrats, and some mini-Minimates.

They could sell them, or give them away with $100 purchases at the show!

This I would buy! Probably multiples, and demand Vinimates.

I want this & Duff for the same reason I wanted the Beverly Hills Cop & Godfather sets, and got the MAX & Gotham sets (despite not wanting to watch the show), and bought the Goth Girl book for the chance to get the Minimate (and did, luckily!) - more Minimates that aren't aliens or mutants or superheroes to populate my Minimate world with.