UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just logged on to see if anyone knew about these. Any word from the con on what the deal is with these and how they will be sold after the convention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is Steve Geppi?

And were these giveaways?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the description and package back, Geppi is the founder of Diamond Comic Distributors, DST's parent company, and this was a "VIP party exclusive".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow. Shows that we're all a little blinkered at times, I guess. I had no idea who this chap was. 

Is that a regular size Vinimate? The little stand is throwing me off. My first thought was that it was an unarticulated minimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither will be offered at retail. The comic Superman we offer will be in a different outfit (same pose) and the Geppi one was a surprise present for him for the 35th anniversary of Diamond Comics. I think they gave out a few hundred of each at a closed event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These sort of promos are kind of shitty for the serious fan base that collect everything because they love the brand. You could argue that if a die hard fan couldn't get these sort of things they may turn around and not bother with the line all together, which would be a very sad outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

These sort of promos are kind of shitty for the serious fan base that collect everything because they love the brand. You could argue that if a die hard fan couldn't get these sort of things they may turn around and not bother with the line all together, which would be a very sad outcome.

You mean like the blind BAFs or exclusives that have terrible distribution? DST is much better at distribution than say Hasbro from when I collected BS 6" but it is still aggravating. Sometimes it feels like a chore to try to give them my money when as the consumer you'd think it should be easy to do that... but such are the times we live in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

You mean like the blind BAFs or exclusives that have terrible distribution? DST is much better at distribution than say Hasbro from when I collected BS 6" but it is still aggravating. Sometimes it feels like a chore to try to give them my money when as the consumer you'd think it should be easy to do that... but such are the times we live in. 

To be fair, if by exclusives you mean store exclusives, that isn't really DST's fault. I do agree that it's aggravating, though.

I really can't understand a mindset where something like this would be essential. I can see how it would be nice to have, like a prototype or test shot, but it doesn't seem like something worth quitting a line over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

To be fair, if by exclusives you mean store exclusives, that isn't really DST's fault. I do agree that it's aggravating, though.

I really can't understand a mindset where something like this would be essential. I can see how it would be nice to have, like a prototype or test shot, but it doesn't seem like something worth quitting a line over.

Blind bags* and yeah I know exclusive distribution isn't DST's fault but it's frustrating nonetheless. I agree this wouldn't make me wanna quit but glossing over the tmnt thread we can see just how many minifanatics who wanted nothing else but to support this company yet had to go out of their way to spend their money so hard they quit that specific line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Polarboy said:

These sort of promos are kind of shitty for the serious fan base that collect everything because they love the brand. You could argue that if a die hard fan couldn't get these sort of things they may turn around and not bother with the line all together, which would be a very sad outcome.

One is a non-licensed, personal item. It was a private gift. Broad distribution can not be expected. One is a variant of a character who will be released later. It was meant to promote the line with retailers, who we are trying to bring on board this still-new line.

Hopefully, the few fans who consider these indispensable are willing to pay secondary market prices or bide their time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

One is a non-licensed, personal item. It was a private gift. Broad distribution can not be expected. One is a variant of a character who will be released later. It was meant to promote the line with retailers, who we are trying to bring on board this still-new line.

Hopefully, the few fans who consider these indispensable are willing to pay secondary market prices or bide their time.

I was joking when I was giving Zach crap on this earlier, Honestly I'm no longer a completest, and really don't want/need a minimate of a guy who owns a distribution company.

I have one question for all of those that are griping about the lack of distibution on this one... How many of you can claim to be completists, and by that I mean you have at least one of EVERY produced minimate that was ever made? I ask because those guys are the only one's who should feel aggrieved and even then honestly you should see it as a challenge not a chore, as Zach says there's the secondary market as we know being a completest is not a cheap undertaking.

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a completest or have any particular interest in these figures I was just talking in broad strokes about this sort of situation occurring with other things I love and general frustrations in the collector community  (if it be toys, crystal figurines or pop records) and thought it was worth pointing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I wasn't griping about the distribution on this, just of some exclusives like TRU and WGs

To an extent I agree with you as Wallgreens seem especially hit and miss with what goes where, but perhaps the TRU/WG threads would be a better place to share those concerns?
In here you're just confusing and diluting your message.

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I'm not a completest or have any particular interest in these figures I was just talking in broad strokes about this sort of situation occurring with other things I love and general frustrations in the collector community  (if it be toys, crystal figurines or pop records) and thought it was worth pointing out.

So basically you're complaining about life, we all have things we see that are limited in quantity, too expensive or owned by someone else that we want and they are out of easy reach. Most things are obtainable, It's a case of how bad do you want them & how much effort you're willing to go to or what you are going to sacrifice to get the thing you're coveting.

I'd actually go as far as to say that being a true collector isn't about the easy stuff, cos there's no challenge in that & a collector should relish when they are chasing something special/hard to find.  If everything was easy we'd all just be guys with lots of identical stuff and frankly that sounds boring as fuck.

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the impression you're giving Zach is this one minimate of a guy most of us were only dimly aware of until its release is now the anger inducing unobtainable Holy Grail of minimate collecting that breaks wills and shatters dreams into unspeakable madness like no other release before it. Two threads we've now devoted to if not complaining, then speaking ill of about its unavailability.

Come on gang, we took that minimate you could only get it you bought a book no one heard of or care about (or something like that, a little Goth chick looking thing) better than this!

And geez, T, we're not going to start down the "true" this or "true" that road, are we? What are we, Transformer or Star Trek fans? I get the point you're making, but gud gawd almighty, that word in any fan context brings back unpleasant memories of things that descended into board splitting unreadability when a "true" thing is defined. 

 

Edited by Mirymate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

And geez, T, we're not going to start down the "true" this or "true" that road, are we? What are we, Transformer or Star Trek fans? I get the point you're making, but gud gawd almighty, that word in any fan context brings back unpleasant memories of things that descended into board splitting unreadability when a "true" thing is defined. 

 

HOW DARE YOU...... Oh wait... you're just suffering from PTSD from the 'good old days' aren't you? :timbo:
Yeah, feel free to ignore the word 'true' is if brings back any nasty memories Miry.

That wasn't my intention, Mostly the point is 'If you want something you can usually get it, it really just depends on how far you are willing to go to have something special. And if nothing was special we'd all have exactly the same stuff and no one would have any reason to talk to one another or be collectors.

That forum would sound like this:
Hey Newbie welcome, My collections exactly the same as yours, I was talking to BHM and he has exactly all the same stuff too but keeps it all in Marmite so the badgers don't run off with it. (Those British people are weird!).

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just like that Superman comic some guy had done for his kids birthday party. A private, never to be released to the general public item that was produced as a gift. If collectors are upset that they weren't made aware of it or have ready access to it then they need to check their priviledge.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long for Geppi to get a Minimate. Though he doesn't have the best of reputations in the industry, if what gets reported is true.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TBT! said:

HOW DARE YOU...... Oh wait... you're just suffering from PTSD from the 'good old days' aren't you? :timbo:
Yeah, feel free to ignore the word 'true' is if brings back any nasty memories Miry.

Yes I am, and yes it does. But I'm feeling much better now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

If collectors are upset that they weren't made aware of it or have ready access to it then they need to check their priviledge.

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel know that I am being lured back into this thread but I'll try to stay out of it if I can because I said what I personally feel in the title . 

The only thing I would apologise for is my use of the word 'we' in the 'tag' .....not my style'''' I should have said " I " .

If I were to be lured back into this I'd have to start quoting Timbo's posts & then I'd dissect Zach's posts .......then Timbo would probably & eloquently tell me that I was wrong whilst Zach ....let me see ...well Zach would probably say that he didn't understand what I was saying...whatever I was saying  :yes:

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

  

   

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

If I were to be lured back into this I'd have to start quoting Timbo's posts & then I'd dissect Zach's posts .......then Timbo would probably & eloquently tell me that I was wrong whilst Zach ....let me see ...well Zach would probably say that he didn't understand what I was saying...whatever I was saying  :yes:

Do it... You know you want to... You definitely qualify as one of the collectors who has to have 'everything', so would be interested to hear your thoughts.
I think that as long as we all play fairly nice & don't take it personally then it's a interesting conversation to have & I'm assuming part of the reason you started the thread?

 

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

IMG_Bombermate35.jpg

 

Has anyone quit the hobby over these yet?

It's a shame we don't still have the AA boards around as the conversations were probably pretty close to the one we're having now, but with more shouting (see Miry's PTSD for proof). We must have all gotten old & mellowed or something. One or two folks were pretty salty there for a while over the whole thing back then though.

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BHM, I don;t even know what the title of this THREAD means. But yes, sometimes your posts follow the rules of good poetry, the first one being obfuscation. 

I really am allowing one fan's response to this situation to color my understanding of this situation and/or make me sad. But it sounds like some people are talking about Geppimate availability ON PRINCIPLE, even when they have no interest or stake in the item. I think that colors everyone's perceptions, including ours, and is ultimately not helpful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×