UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2017 Marvel Minimates!

minimatt

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

@The Scarlet Spider Dormammu's could work. But he's too pricey to buy merely for a custom.

Yeah I don't even have one that's not for a custom

"Right here we'll apply the paint... anddddd $20 mistake"

I know this isn't the wishlist thread but I'm still waiting for a supernatural comic wave that coulda been a great release near the Strange movie. Another Dormammu would be great and an updated Blade. 

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Yeah I don't even have one that's not for a custom

"Right here we'll apply the paint... anddddd $20 mistake"

I know this isn't the wishlist thread but I'm still waiting for a supernatural comic wave that coulda been a great release near the Strange movie. Another Dormammu would be great and an updated Blade. 

I still find it weird that DST prefers to do Zombie sets instead of releasing a Halloween themed 4-Pack every year. D-listers aside, you could pack them with a Doctor Strange, Blade or Ghost Rider, or even a "monster" A-Lister, like Capwolf.

I would love those 'mates but pleeeeeasee let us have some improved tooling for Man-Thing ......the current animated version looks ( to me) like he has a green McDonalds logo on his face.

"Whatever knows fear burns the veggie-burger "

...& look at the eyes in MisterPL's pic ......those eyes are the eyes required .

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

Now that we've got a Man-Thing tooling:

5554cfb6c3f62.jpg

And these would be fun:

rotator_xlarge_uncanny.jpg

Obviously they can't a box-set themselves, but I can come up with tons of combinations between D-Listers, B-listers & A-List Variants. I really do wonder why DST is not doing this, and keeps releasing Zombie Sets.

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

I would love those 'mates but pleeeeeasee let us have some improved tooling for Man-Thing ......the current animated version looks ( to me) like he has a green McDonalds logo on his face.

"Whatever knows fear burns the veggie-burger "

...& look at the eyes in MisterPL's pic ......those eyes are the eyes required .

I doubt we'll ever get a new Body-Mold, even if we get another MT, but I'd love some sculpted arms and legs as well.

15 minutes ago, youbastards said:

I agree, my ideal Man-Thing would be more tooled and less tampo printed.  Make his arms and legs more rigid and veiny viney.  Man-Thing needs girth!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

1 hour ago, youbastards said:

Man-Thing needs girth!

:rimshot:

23 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I placed a second order for the Spider-man Homecoming set and it shipped (got my first order yesterday). So it doesn't look like they are limiting the number of times you can order one, just only one per order.

I'll look into this. It seems odd. Sorry I did not hear about this before.

Regarding the woes of paying for aftermarket minimates:

I'm actually rather fortunate I guess in that I've only very rarely encountered this phenomenon. 

I can honestly say I've been collecting Marvel Minimates since Wave 1. I'm pretty sure Chuck sold me a whole set of the line at Wizard World Chicago whatever year this line launched. The only way he'd sell me the Black Spidey Variant was if I bought the whole set, lol. And at the time it was just 3 waves and 1 con exclusive. I kept my whole collection in a single ziplock sandwich bag back then, lol. Been at it ever since. But I always buy all the new Marvel releases while they're relatively new... and thus, I've never paid a whole ton for most items.

There is OCCASIONALLY a random exclusive (usually from Toys R Us) that for whatever reason I just CAN'T locate... and I'll end up having to pay a slight markup for it. I think the absolute most I ever paid for a minimate was that pesky TRU Exclusive Warpath. Bought him loose. I want to say for like $40. But then someone very kind on this message board traded me X-Factor Angel (his partner figure) for practically nothing, so it evened out. Never paid a huge markup for a regular non-exclusive wave or boxed set though.

I never did get a Martian Manhunter, but I'm not a huge DC fan, so it doesn't keep me up at night. There are a couple other DC minimates I'd still like. Wouldn't mind putting together a set of Teen Titans, but Cyborg seems pretty expensive these days. But again, DC doesn't keep me up at night.

It blows my mind sometimes when people mention minimates I paid retail for, once common when I bought them (like say Kraven) go for like $40 now. Although Hydro Man is on ebay for $25... I expected more. Granted, that's not a GOOD price... but if it stuck in my craw that much, I'd pay it. (See Warpath comment earlier in post). Blows my mind more that ones like Warpath or Gambit go for double or triple ($40 was a lot when I paid it!, lol)

BUT... all in all, I think I've mostly come out ahead on these things. Price wise.

My biggest minimate regrets are that Wave 15 never came out, and that I can't get an Astonishing Emma Frost that stays white for longer than 20 minutes (And I've owned like... 4. The last two came pre-yellowed before I even opened them, lol.)

Edited by Gillbob316

2 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

My biggest minimate regrets are that Wave 15 never came out, and that I can't get an Astonishing Emma Frost that stays white for longer than 20 minutes (And I've owned like... 4. The last two came pre-yellowed before I even opened them, lol.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Astonishing Emma and Photon yellowed pretty quickly (and Stay Puft Marshmellow Man to a lesser degree)... Ifelt I had done something wrong, but then I noticed I didn't have that problem with my Moon Knight, or any of Storm's hairpieces...

On 8/1/2017 at 4:59 PM, Mysterious Stranger said:

Its not a big deal Zach. They sometimes limit the quantity on their exclusives. I honestly wasn't expecting the second order to go through. I got enough extra 'mate fodder in each order to get the free shipping. And I get Rewards points so its all good.

I understand why they do it, but if it affects sell-through...

4 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

But I always buy all the new Marvel releases while they're relatively new... and thus, I've never paid a whole ton for most items.

This. I'm in the same boat as you. There are a few i've passed on, mostly newer stuff that I knew I'd never want but if there's any doubt in my mind I buy it. I would die if I had to pay some of the aftermarket prices on Spidey villains. Only figure I've kinda got burned on was Aim agents. Back then I only bought two each of army builders and i've since changed that to four of each. Hydra and Aim are the only ones i'd go for more of. I covered my butt on the Hydra troopers even though TRU 18 never hit my area. Aim agents are much costlier to come by and I'm too cheap to pay aftermarket prices for them. If they ever do them again I hope it's a straight re-release as they were spot on.

And now you've got me thinking maybe I should grab a Surtur to keep, just in case.

13 hours ago, Chazwinski said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Astonishing Emma and Photon yellowed pretty quickly (and Stay Puft Marshmellow Man to a lesser degree)... Ifelt I had done something wrong, but then I noticed I didn't have that problem with my Moon Knight, or any of Storm's hairpieces...

I haven't looked at Photon in a while... I honestly don't know what her current condition is. Now you've got me curious to check mine.

It's my understanding that defects in the plastic used during production at the time it was made are what eventually cause certain figures to yellow, which is why it only effects certain minimates but not ALL white minimates. I've noticed it's usually Emma's crotch and lower left leg blocks that get the worst of it, which makes me think those two pieces in particular had a run of bad plastic.

Blue-Suit Xavier (the Target exclusive variant of the Original Xavier minimate) is also one prone to big discoloration, but not a lot of people own him in the first place. And he's not even white, he's blue! But anyway, his limbs have darkened to a tackier darker blue that no longer matches his torso and crotch. I own two of him and it's happened to both.

The original clear variants of White Queen and Sue Storm seem to have yellowed up some too, but they're both clear, so it's harder to distinguish. They both feel tacky to the touch now, which I hate (I've read that has to do with oils being relased from the plastic over time? Notice it in lots of old toys. Iunno.)

I tried soaking both a Spare Xavier and a Spare Emma in peroxide for a couple weeks after reading the tip on the internet. It brightened them up a little, but didn't brighten them up enough. And it took a bit of paint off their crotches, which is bad. (But again, they were spares, so I was experimenting).

7 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

The original clear variants of White Queen and Sue Storm seem to have yellowed up some too, but they're both clear, so it's harder to distinguish. They both feel tacky to the touch now, which I hate (I've read that has to do with oils being relased from the plastic over time? Notice it in lots of old toys. Iunno.)

Yes, I hate that tacky feel. It happened to my Ilia Probe for some weird reason and she isn't even clear and her face darkened quite drastically. My clear Invisible Woman did the same as yours, and being my only Sue Richards minimate, it makes me even sadder I missed out on all the FF updates.  (sorry for going so off topic.)