UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2017 Marvel Minimates!

minimatt

36 minutes ago, Chazwinski said:

LOL Yes I would say that. I have become a bigger fan of him in the last few years. NerdyTrev is probably right though. I know people want Kaine to be made and it's my own fault I haven't sought out and paid for the original release. My thinking has been "Well, I can't get EVERYTHING I want." 

As someone who has used the secondary market, mainly eBay, to purchase a lot of my collection that I missed out on I can appreciate people wanting things remade. Hell, I paid waaaaaaaaaay too much for Martian Manhunter than I should have. But, thanks to someone on this board, I paid waaaaaaaaaaaaay too little for my Gambit/Psylocke than I should have. I know the struggle of important characters costing an arm and a leg on the after market. I hope the hunt goes well!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bunch on classic spidey villains are on my list of "way too much on the aftermarket". Shocker, Kraven, vulture, bullseye, scorpion, rhino, morbius and kingpin. I thought the Netflix kingpin would do fine, but he's just not the same 

Edited by Heinous

Hydroman.

I was collecting mates when that 5 pack came out. Way before Luke opened for business. Only one or two places carried minimates online, don't know if BBTS even had it. Waited just too late to pull the trigger on it, and it sold out. Like within a day of coming out. I don't have many actually bugs me regrets in collecting in general, but I get a knot in my stomach every time I think about this one.

When I became unemployed in 2013, I gave up minimates, comics, and basically all nonessentials except for the occasional 3.75" Marvel or Star Wars figure which is my first love...and I missed a lot of really great minimate waves, including being oblivious to a few licenses that I wanted such as Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Aliens, Sin City, and Buck Rogers. I started getting some that I missed, like the superb wave 60,but I'm still kicking myself for missing out on an updated Fantastic Four, Baron Zemo, Baron Von Strucker (really that whole wave 54), updated Scarlet Witch, Powerman & Iron Fist... It will be impossible to catch up completely. That's okay though, as I have most of my minimates stored away in their original packages (Except for the carded ones...I OPEN mine) and I've run out of room. Never thought of selling them though, not even once during the last few years of not collecting. Once I love something, I usually love it forever.

Edited by Chazwinski

19 minutes ago, Heinous said:

A bunch on classic spidey villains are on my list of "way too much on the aftermarket". Shocker, Kraven, vulture, bullseye, scorpion, rhino, morbius and kingpin. I thought the Netflix kingpin would do fine, but he's just not the same 

Are both Morbii (?) overpriced on the aftermarket?

I'm personally happy with my headswapped zombie versions of Vulture and Bullseye, but they (and most of the others) could definitely use redos. I like that Netflix Kingpin isn't overly tall (the guy's supposed to be an even 6', IIRC), but he doesn't really work for 616.

There are a lot of looks and characters that I just won't get minimates of unless they're redone. I'm not willing to pay that much, and it doesn't hurt that I'm not really a fan of Spidey villains or 90's X-Men.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Are both Morbii (?) overpriced on the aftermarket?

I'm personally happy with my headswapped zombie versions of Vulture and Bullseye, but they (and most of the others) could definitely use redos. I like that Netflix Kingpin isn't overly tall (the guy's supposed to be an even 6', IIRC), but he doesn't really work for 616.

There are a lot of looks and characters that I just won't get minimates of unless they're redone. I'm not willing to pay that much, and it doesn't hurt that I'm not really a fan of Spidey villains or 90's X-Men.

Honestly I haven't looked up morbius in quite a while, bc he's at the bottom of the list, maybe he is cheap now. I also used the zombie bullseye and vulture with parts swapped out. I feel the same way about some Minimates have to redone for me to get them, off the top of my head, hydroman.

Edit: just looked up morbius and he is cheap, kingpin too

Edited by Heinous

5 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Lord have mercy, that was a disappointing boxed set.

Truer words have never been typed. That should have been an all-time great boxset but instead every one of those characters needs a redo because the quality was so poor.

As for Superior Foes, I think they would definitely be packed with Spider-variants. Speed Demon would need a new figure. Shocker should be easy enough, it would be great if he came with an extra crotch cover (or whatever you want to call it) with a Thunderbolts logo. My only fear is that any of the foes would end up like Beetle: The unique parts of the costumes simplified so they don't need new tooling. Instead of really good minimates you end up with a set of figures that's mediocre. I do like the Silvermane as a BAF idea, that would be perfect.

Kraven is very worthy of an update and could be much improved with a sculpted vest. Hydroman could also be so much better with a water base.

In general I'm surprised with how old most of the Spider-villain minimates are. You'd think at least the Sinister Six would be in the rotation regularly but it's mostly been Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and Venom. I guess that's the result of having very few Spider-Man waves, which seems odd as Chuck always says he such a big Spider-fan.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Yeah I've never gotten why some of the older mates cost so much, I get rarity and stuff but the quality of the mates has increased DRASTICALLY. I have that hydro man and I still think he needs a redo. 

Only one Hydroman in 15 years, and it was produced in smaller numbers than most mates of the era. Of course there are several other characters from the era that got their only release then, which is why I'm not on the Speed Demon needs a new mate bandwagon. Dude, Speed Demon can get his butt in line behind Hydroman.

53 minutes ago, stack32 said:

That should have been an all-time great boxset but instead every one of those characters needs a redo because the quality was so poor.

Well 3 out of four anyway. Ock from Luke's set works for well for me. Poor paint apps, and an honest to God error in interpreting wing color based on chosen reference images... it was such a let down because the designs themselves were awesome. We've seen the odd paint error before, the oddly colored accessory or QC problem here and there, but to have them show up in 4 of 4 mates in the same boxed set with such consistence was just... well...

:other_beatingA_DeadHorse:

i'm pretty lucky in that i have been collecting minimates since wave 16 after randomly picking up Dark Phoenix and Cyclops at a Portland convention. at the time i said i'd only collect the X-Men mates cuz that was when they were still mostly all that i was reading. back then, the hardest mates to find for me were the giant sized x-men box set and i somehow scored it for like 20 bucks one day on ebay.

when wave 28 came out, i snatched up Psylocke and Gambit right away. had the Deadpool set in hand, but went with Sabretooth and Skrull instead. that was the only Deadpool at the time, and it sky rocketted real fast on ebay. it was probably a year or so later when my mother and i were in a comic shop looking at DC stuff for my nephew and my mom asked me to grab something up high. right next to whatever it was was a random Sabretooth/Skrull set. and behind that... Deadpool!

i never got Hydro-Man and will wait for a remake. other than that... my want list is very short and mostly consist of pretty current mates that i just didn't bother to pick up and i'm not stressing too much about.

And once again we've drug a topic waaaay off topic. And it's partially my fault.

:offtopic:

Probably should drag the Supeior Foes wave discussion back to the Wishlist thread. But RedTiger95, Spidey's colorful gangsters are high on my spider-foe list too. Tombstone, Hammerhead, Lobo Brothers, the Rose; yeah I want all those guys.

I might be in the small minority here on a couple of issues but:

• I think that the F&F Vulture displays quite well. The wings *are* a sickly yellow-green, but once he's in a display with other villains, I think the bright colours work well and the wing colour isn't very noticeable. I say this, however, as someone who is not a Spidey-fanatic. I agree that the issues with paint on the other 3 figures are pretty bad, but I actually really like my Vulture.
  • I'd kind of like to see a Spawn-rip-off Kaine, rather than the Scarlet Spider look. (they're the same character, right? Or do they just have the same name?)

Spidey might just have the best represented rogues gallery of all the Minimate heroes out there, and yet  I'll still happily take more Spidey villains whenever they come out. Carrion is just fantastic! And I won't be mad if we see more waves with a 3 Spideys if it means we get 3 villains too. Bring on Doppelganger, Shriek, Demogoblin, Molten Man, Jackal, Silvermane, Hammerhead, et al

48 minutes ago, Nessex said:

I might be in the small minority here on a couple of issues but:

• I think that the F&F Vulture displays quite well. The wings *are* a sickly yellow-green, but once he's in a display with other villains, I think the bright colours work well and the wing colour isn't very noticeable. I say this, however, as someone who is not a Spidey-fanatic. I agree that the issues with paint on the other 3 figures are pretty bad, but I actually really like my Vulture.
  • I'd kind of like to see a Spawn-rip-off Kaine, rather than the Scarlet Spider look. (they're the same character, right? Or do they just have the same name?)

Spidey might just have the best represented rogues gallery of all the Minimate heroes out there, and yet  I'll still happily take more Spidey villains whenever they come out. Carrion is just fantastic! And I won't be mad if we see more waves with a 3 Spideys if it means we get 3 villains too. Bring on Doppelganger, Shriek, Demogoblin, Molten Man, Jackal, Silvermane, Hammerhead, et al

2158893-Kaine3.jpgThese two? They're the same. 

2121421-s7.jpg

Even though Kaine  is one of my favorite characters and Scarlet Spider is my favorite hero (Ben first but of course Kaine is a close 3rd? After Pete) I'd prefer to get Kaine in his 90s attire.

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

42 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

I know a lot of people don't count Animated as "real versions", but we did just get the red & black Kaine:

fig2758flg.jpg
Hail Ivan.

So, yeah, I'd also like to see the purple caped version as well.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that figure. I have it too, but it's still in the box. That's probably why I forgot about it.

3 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

I know a lot of people don't count Animated as "real versions", but we did just get the red & black Kaine:

fig2758flg.jpg
Hail Ivan.

So, yeah, I'd also like to see the purple caped version as well.

3 hours ago, stack32 said:

Looks more like red and gray.

How come it seems impossible to get thwip hands for Spidey but a figure like that can get a dedicated hand sculpt?

I'd definitely prefer a darker version of that Kaine but it'll do for the next few years probably :P

And especially when they've basically made thwip hands for Strange, Scarlet Witch, and Spiral before him :splode:

Grey.jpg