UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2017 Marvel Minimates!

minimatt

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious how the whole baf thing plays out past this wave. My concern is having to buy multiple packs I don't want for a classic character baf. I can do without Quake but if that had been say, classic Unicorn, i'd be looking at $24 to own him and a lot of figures I don't want. Hopefully if it continues classic and modern baf's will be paired with similar waves.

Here's what I'll be looking to acquire from what's been revealed. 

Wv 75: Purple Man

Tru Ragnarok: Hela 

Walgreens Ragnarok:  Executioner

Walgreens 6: Medusa hair

Tru 24: Carrion

Tru 25: Jack O Lantern, Chameleon

Lcs: Brotherhood box set x 2

There are a couple other possibilities but those are the definite buys. Surtur looks good but I don't think I need him at that scale. If the tail works for a custom i've got in mind I'd buy one and use the red standard body and head for other customs. Collector also looks nice but I'm unfamiliar with that look. As others have stated I'll just qc a classic one. Maybe the face could work for that but I'll have to wait for clearer pics. I may also be interested in that Moon Knight hood to finish off another custom. 

Executioner looks great and even looks like he has a skirt piece which really helps give it a push towards a classic comic look. If I add skin colored arms and legs he should be a perfect match. That head is outstanding. Chameleon/MJ set will be very welcome as I never got an MJ minimate and I'm eager to see Chameleon up close.

Not a ton of stuff for me but I'll be adding a nice handful of characters to my collection.

I"m going to be Walgreens busy at this rate. I can already think of 3 kit bashes for Medusa that I can't wait for. This time around y'all may not be able to blame Walgreens distribution it may just be me.

So when will series 24 and 25 be hitting Toys r us? What about the sdcc exclusive spiderman homecoming set? I know its online to order but when will it hit stores? Same goes for the Thor Ragnarok walgreens mates? Sooo excited for all these minimates!

12 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

LOL The robe is giving me serious Hugh Hefner vibes.

Thanks for the Lego update. That saddens me to no end. 

13 hours ago, youbastards said:

LEGO recently put the tv version of STAR Labs in as an Easter egg in LEGO Dimensions, so it is safe to assume that whatever license LEGO has for DC properties extends to the CW shows in some capacity but not Gotham on Fox.

We already know they have the movie license locked up.

There was a downloadable Arrow add on for Lego batman 3 game too... still, a guy can dream 

11 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I"m going to be Walgreens busy at this rate. I can already think of 3 kit bashes for Medusa that I can't wait for. This time around y'all may not be able to blame Walgreens distribution it may just be me.

care to share your plans for medusa?

2 hours ago, Dave said:

care to share your plans for medusa?

ABSOLUTELY. I'm not a good customizer so I am hoping someone here will be able to do the real work.

Medusa 1:

Jean Grey X-Factor base and Medusa hair for:

cc606899fbc4c78e85997f8c9e87eb1b--medusa

with different boots and gloves.

A second one for a Fantastic Four uniform (I know she never wore this one but I'm OK with that)

With bare arms and legs from whom ever and these Black Boots and Cuffs:

fig1227flg.jpg

and this mask:

fig1188flg.jpg

Number 3 is just the Walgreens figure

Fantastic+Four+136-JohnBuscema-Medusa.jp

with a Jean Grey First Class head again (I have about 5 at this point)

fig1188flg.jpg

Bare arms and legs and depending on the Purple a Green Goblin set of boots and cuffs

fig1398flg.jpg

The last one I'll keep in her regular official format. I'm sure far better modifers will be able to kill this but for me and my displays this should be ok.

Haven't seen anything in from TRU or LCS waves I won't be getting. And since one son collects Marvel movie mates, and the other gets most of the Animated Walgreens stuff, DST will be getting quite a bit of my money the next few months.

Some one asked about Carrion... There have been many. The first one was a clone of Miles Warren, specially designed to take revenge on the world should the real one die. (which of course happened... maybe... Warren and his clones have been retconed over and over and OVER, so even once known events are murky) It had a wide variety of powers, levitation, limited telepath, density control, life draining decaying touch powers, poison dust weapon. Spider-Man killed it. But Warren's backup plan had a backup plan... He created a virus that could transform someone into a Carrion, including a limited amount of Warren's memory. But these Carrion's were much less powerful, no density powers or telepathy. One of Peter's grad school rivals, Malcom Macbride, became the first known infected Carrion. He was eventually cured, mostly. But there were others. Their last incarnation was as the latest example of clone degeneration, and the Carrion virus degenerated into a pretty standard zombie plague, except Carrions kill and infect by touch, not biting.
Since our upcoming minimate Carrion comes with Scarlet Spider, it actually muddies the waters of which Carrion it is considerably. Ben/Jackal is responsible for the unstable clones that degenerated into Carrions without constant medication. 

15 hours ago, spidermatt said:

So when will series 24 and 25 be hitting Toys r us? What about the sdcc exclusive spiderman homecoming set? I know its online to order but when will it hit stores? Same goes for the Thor Ragnarok walgreens mates? Sooo excited for all these minimates!

I'll keep everyone posted. 

22 hours ago, force2099 said:

This might have been answered already, but does anyone know if series 75 will be evenly packed? so no 1 per case set? (dumb question)

I am fairly certain that is an absolute necessity, but I will confirm.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:05 AM, Chazwinski said:

... also the lack of X-Men merchandise (comic-con wide, not just DST) has been very tough for me...

I 100% feel you, bro. However, the last couple of years have been *VERY* good to X-fans. In the last 2 years we got the Brotherhood/Strike force wave, Brotherhood box set (Toad & co), Deadpool wave, GSXM wave, Wolverine wave, plus random figures in waves like Disco Dazzler, Apocalypse, & MN Magneto. We might have to wait till next year for the X-Love to return to SDCC, but we've had a couple of very good years outside of the cons. 

Thoughts on the reveals:

First – WOW! I am LOVING the comic book looks on display here. Great to Spidey get some comic book love. I think it’s a been a while since he had his own wave (Maybe not since Wave 43 – Jean DeWolff?)

Negative Zone Spider-Man – If DST are going to offer a Spdiey, I’m always happy if it’s something wildly different from his regular look. This one fits the bill.
Jack O’Lantern looks great. Love me some classic villains. Beetle looks good too, although I agree that a sculpted mask would be nice. If we ever see a new Wasp, I’d really love to see separate upper and lower wings, but the re-use of the old model here works pretty well. 2-4-1 Chameleon/MJ is a great idea!

The Collector is a freaking great choice! I love seeing obscure Marvel get some love. I’m hoping Unworthy Thor comes with his ace and a bare-chested block to display his other look.
Scarlet Spidey was due for an update. The only version we’ve had of him was an exclusive waaaaaaay back when. This looks like a really nice update.
Is it weird that I’m most excited for Carrion? Perhaps because the Spider-Man ’94 trading cards were being pined for recently. What I can see from the pictures, he looks great – in all his Maximum Carnage glory!

16 hours ago, Nessex said:

I 100% feel you, bro. However, the last couple of years have been *VERY* good to X-fans. In the last 2 years we got the Brotherhood/Strike force wave, Brotherhood box set (Toad & co), Deadpool wave, GSXM wave, Wolverine wave, plus random figures in waves like Disco Dazzler, Apocalypse, & MN Magneto. We might have to wait till next year for the X-Love to return to SDCC, but we've had a couple of very good years outside of the cons. 

That's a good point, Nessex. It's one of the main reasons I've been drawn back into collecting minimates again... DST has been very good to X-fans recently.

All this SDCC goodness has got my wheels turning and I think that we are in a great spot for a new Spidey wave. 

Since we have Beetle (Lincoln) and Speed Demon, I think we ca get the rest of the Superior Foes pretty easily here. Firstly with a Shocker / Overdrive pack. And for Boomerang, we could throw him with another Spider-Man variant, maybe a redo of his first appearance costume. A redo I think would be beneficial is a Jessica Drew Spider-Woman. It would ive the assortment some female representation and give new customers the opportunity to get their hands on some characters that haven't been to available.  That could be packed with a Vulture redo since he's a hot character right now. Finally, two other villains that need to be redone are the Rhino (in a more classic outfit) and Kraven the Hunter. But I doubt DST would be kind enough to give us those two in one pack. So instead of that, I have Kraven packed with a redo another alien costume variant of Spider-man. Although it seems redundant, the previous one isn't perfect, and the original is outdated. So, by combining the two, we could have a perfect Symbiote suit. Plus, the pairing is great for the "Kraven's Last Hunt" story. Maybe even throw in a gravestone for Spider-Man. 

So, we have: "Amazing Fantasy 15" Spider-Man / Boomerang; Shocker / Overdrive; Spider-Woman / Vulture; Kraven the Hunter / Alien Costume Spider-man. 

But, with the recent news that Minimates are capable of doing Build-A-Figures, I think the perfect character for this assortment would be, Silvermane. Put his head with Shocker and Overdrive and everything else would be aces. 

Trev... I like where your head is.

There were several Spider-costume variants over the course of Peter's time at Horizon labs that have not been used. There was a black and yellow bullet proof version, a red and black anti-sonic/stealth version. In addition, Kaine was relatively recent killed by Kraven as well, so whether in his original costume, or his Scarlet Spider suit, he would also make a good pack-mate for a reissued Kraven. And the updated Jessica Drew would include her underarm wings, right? Oh why did I ask, of course it would.

If we get an updated Jessica Drew, I would hope she comes with alternate Queen Skrull parts....

Always liked that look... not the youth stealing gimic, but liked the suit.
A black Vulture would work too.

Image result for Black Vulture MarvelImage result for Black Vulture Marvel

I'd be happy with a classic Vulture without bright neon green wings. Lord have mercy, that was a disappointing boxed set.

3 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Always liked that look... not the youth stealing gimic, but liked the suit.
A black Vulture would work too.

Image result for Black Vulture MarvelImage result for Black Vulture Marvel

I'd be happy with a classic Vulture without bright neon green wings. Lord have mercy, that was a disappointing boxed set.

I just wish we had that kinda black cat. We finally get a redo of one of my favorite spider characters and the design I'm not a fan of. Who knows when they'll get around to her again too :/ 

the rest of that wave is great though!

12 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Kaine was relatively recent killed by Kraven as well, so whether in his original costume, or his Scarlet Spider suit, he would also make a good pack-mate for a reissued Kraven. 

I think a Scarlet Spider Kaine would work better, yes. It gives us another costume variation, and another character. 

1 hour ago, Freaqualizer said:

So, you're saying you have a cravin' for Kraven? ?

LOL Yes I would say that. I have become a bigger fan of him in the last few years. NerdyTrev is probably right though. I know people want Kaine to be made and it's my own fault I haven't sought out and paid for the original release. My thinking has been "Well, I can't get EVERYTHING I want."