UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2017 Marvel Minimates!

minimatt

40 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Yeah I'm expecting to see a lot less accessories now that baf has been implemented :/ 

Honestly, between having more accessories than one figure could hold at a time, or getting an extra character each series, I'd much rather have more characters. Bring on the BAF!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, slipstream said:

Honestly, between having more accessories than one figure could hold at a time, or getting an extra character each series, I'd much rather have more characters. Bring on the BAF!

To me I'd rather have a bunch of accessories, I mean if it's one more figure a wave or missing out on multiple weapons for Punisher or Moon Knight I'm gonna want the weapons. Some characters need accessories to even warrant me buying them. I mean go ask all the crossbones/hawkeye packs at Walgreens. Especially since DST has already been doing a decent job giving us obscure characters already. 

In summation I love BAFs as a concept but if it restricts accessories I'm not a fan. It'd be different if we could get big characters out of it. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

2 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

I like that they're going to do bafs now but I hope that there wont be a baf of someone I really want in a wave that I have no interest in. 

The new Marvel Legends Moon Knight looks amazing.  The new Minimates Moon Knight doesn't quite look right.

That's what I am struggling with. I like this wave and will be buying it but, I just want to open The Jessica Jones set and Moon Knight (mostly for the cape) but I am not positive I want to open the other packs because display space is limited but I want a Quake. This means buying two sets at the minimum. Although if the chest piece is in either of the sets I'll be happy since I can make more female SHIELD agents. 

Some great looking figures for the upcoming waves. I wasn't sure I needed or wanted another Punisher till I saw this one. I'm happy to add Quake to my SHIELD display. I would love more of the Secret Warriors but i doubt the others will make the cut. 

4 minutes ago, bigvis497 said:

Moon Knight looks perfect, can't think of any possible way the Minimate could be improved. 

I'm wondering how BAM will be spread over four two-packs? I'm guessing right arm/leg, left arm/leg, head, torso/waist?

I was thinking the same but I was thinking legs in one, arms in one, head w/torso, waist with accessories.

Good point, Mr. Tiger. If they offer assortments to specialty, TRU, and [Target], that's potentially three more characters they could squeeze in. Of course the crappy part would be getting duplicates of the usual shared figures between specialty and TRU.

In response to the accessories issue with BAF/BAM, packs with more accessories needed could take the smallest bit. I can see the Punisher/Moon Knight set taking Quake's head giving more room for guns and crescents. The Purple Man/Jewel pack would be a good candidate for the chest block or a set of legs on account of the only known accessory being the Avengers mug. 

Sure, but the whole wave has a budget. You can see a big difference between 74 and 75 when it comes to alternate parts and accessories, or the fact that bulked-up characters are included. Would Moon Knight have been better if they didn't have to cost out Daisy? Could someone else have had an alternate look? And Daisy is just a notch above a quick custom. I think a lot of the best minimates have been so good because of the extras and the creativity those extras allow. That's a major trade off for a BAF. I don't think I'd want it to become standard as I much prefer quality over quantity. Apparently I have unusually high standards in regards to minimates though.

Good to see Punisher is mostly comic accurate. Looks like a great base to make mods to as well.

19 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Sure, but the whole wave has a budget. You can see a big difference between 74 and 75 when it comes to alternate parts and accessories, or the fact that bulked-up characters are included. Would Moon Knight have been better if they didn't have to cost out Daisy? Could someone else have had an alternate look? And Daisy is just a notch above a quick custom. I think a lot of the best minimates have been so good because of the extras and the creativity those extras allow. That's a major trade off for a BAF. I don't think I'd want it to become standard as I much prefer quality over quantity. Apparently I have unusually high standards in regards to minimates though.

Good to see Punisher is mostly comic accurate. Looks like a great base to make mods to as well.

This. 

It'd be alot cooler if the Baf was on a 3 inch body or larger. That'd have to be a way to get around the 2 inch body restriction, since it would just be pieces called "accessories". Then we could get redo of sentinels, giantman, hulkbuster and galactus then new characters like celestials, a huge crimson dynamo, a bigger groot, spider slayers and super adaptoid

12 hours ago, Kostisfire said:

Punisher is from the Edmondson run:

1409652_orig.png

I've wanted one for a while now, so I'm really glad we're getting him, packed with MK no less.But I was kinda hoping for this look:

punisherblackcamo_zps2e3c8860.png?t=1424

It's just a black body & arms so it can easily be kitbashed, but it could've been added as an extra. I guess BAFs might have prevented that. Still, for the look it's depicting,it's a near perfect fig. I'd have given him fingerless gloves though, and maybe a more neutrual expression. Frank was surprisingly "chill" during that run

He appears to HAVE the mask

21 minutes ago, stack32 said:

I doubt the license restrictions are that easy to circumvent. A figure is a figure regardless of how it's packaged.

I just don't get how they have a 7" (and probably above because some of those selects are tall) license and they can't give us 7" minimates. Like Is there literally a clause on the marvel contract that says they can't use the minimate style at the 7" scale? That's hard to imagine but I guess it could happen?

Based on what Chuck and Zach have said in the past, yes, they could offer a Minimate Select figure. Understandably they don't want to piss off Select collectors by sneaking an oversized block figure into the line, taking up valuable real estate in terms of how many figures they're allowed to offer. 

I'd love to get a look at that agreement. Especially when it comes to matters of scale, vehicles, and tigers. 

14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I just don't get how they have a 7" (and probably above because some of those selects are tall) license and they can't give us 7" minimates. Like Is there literally a clause on the marvel contract that says they can't use the minimate style at the 7" scale? That's hard to imagine but I guess it could happen?

DST can only make a limited number of Marvel Select figures in a year, so Marvel Select collectors would be angry if one of the slots was taken by a crossover figure from a line they don't collect.

As a big Hank Pym fan, I definitely understand the scale frustrations that go along with Giant-Men, Goliaths, Sentinels, Galacti, etc., but I like the size that the Hulk 'mates are. I wouldn't want them on larger bodies. Most of the 2.5" DCD minimates look too big to me.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

DST can only make a limited number of Marvel Select figures in a year, so Marvel Select collectors would be angry if one of the slots was taken by a crossover figure from a line they don't collect.

As a big Hank Pym fan, I definitely understand the scale frustrations that go along with Giant-Men, Goliaths, Sentinels, Galacti, etc., but I like the size that the Hulk 'mates are. I wouldn't want them on larger bodies. Most of the 2.5" DCD minimates look too big to me.

I've seen the big dark angel ones and I kinda get what you mean. The blockiness is definitely more noticeable at 3" as opposed to 2". However seeing as a 6 foot guy would be 2" a 3" inch 9 foot hulk just makes sense to me.