UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2017 Marvel Minimates!

minimatt

51 minutes ago, Gillbob316 said:

Not sure this is the right thread, but I figured no one here would begrudge me for mentioning Toysrus.com now had the SDCC Exclusive Spider-Man Homecoming two-pack available for purchase:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=118953686&prodFindSrc=rv

They also have several other exclusives. I myself also ordered the Marvel Legends set (still in-stock as of this posting.)

I forgot all about that! Thanks for the reminder. There's a couple of Pops out there that I want to try and pick up too.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

"....a nice figure...it could've been better IMO "  I feel your pain.

Shanna ? Oh I remember  ...she was packed with The Savage Land Reaper   . Just saying .

There are quite a lot of figures that were good enough, but with some tweaking, could've been better. MK, IMHO at least, is one of them. Godo enough, but... eh.

5 hours ago, bofox said:

All I can see with the Walgreens exclusive civilian Loki...

the-disaster-artist1.jpg

How's your sex life man?

4 hours ago, hellpop said:

Kostis: Seriously, you are FINALLY getting a new Moon Knight, for which you have campaigned for YEARS, and your reaction is to complain!? :wallbash:

So just because I wanted a figure, I have to be 100% content with it, even if it hasn't been translated well? I'm not really sure how that works. I mean, I'm nothing more than a customer posting on a board. It's not like my opinions will make or break the fig. I was expecting a hood like Hobgoblin's, a cape like the Wave 54 HYDRAs with a sculpted chestplate, and sculpted boots and gauntlets. This figure has nothing but a very static looking hood and makes the costume look more like a cosplayer wearing pajamas instead of a sleek bodysuit with armored pieces.

It looks good, sure. It has muscle detailing, something I love in figures, and the face is very well painted, to the point where it seems it jumped right off Declan Shalvey's paper. But the rest of the fig is, IMO always, underwhelming. I'll buy it, probably. I've been out of the Minimate game for a while, but this is MK, so I'll get him. That doesn't mean I have to praise it however. It looks, again, IMO, underwhelming. In my opinion, and my opinion alone.

And since I'm on a nitpicking/complaining spee:

-Frank would've looked better with gloves, since it's what he wears for the majority of the Edmondson run. Or, alternatively, the black bodysuit would've worked better.

-Luke's vest is too blocky. It would've looked better if it was just a "closed" version of the JJ/GB Mayor vest.

-The Reyes head looks good, but it would've worked better as a sculpted piece. In this instance it looks far too big and blocky, which is ironic considering in the comics his skull was very sleek and anime-esque.

-Iron Fist could use some detaling on his mask, like the Wave 28/29 Wolverine.

-Civillian Loki & Civillian Banner are a waste. 

-Age of Thunder Thor looks boring, and Unworthy would've been better.

-OML should've been replaced by Daken's Dark Wolverine costume.

-Ree-Ree should be killed by... I do not know. I just want somebody to kill her. Maybe Millar. He has a knack for these things. Oh, and Bendis should never work on a high profile title again.

Spoiler

I'm obviously joking with most of these... or not. I'm definitely not joking with the last one though...

Props for including the Glorious Leader's "Tattoo" Chest though. And ANAD Daredevil does look pretty darn snazzy. Purple Man looks creepy as well. I mean, both 74 & 75 look good, but they could've been better IMO. Then again, my opinion depends on my tastes, and my tastes don't translate in sales, so... eh. Whatever, it's a free board, I can complain as much as I want.

Edited by Kostisfire

11 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Quake is a build a figure for Series 75. No TRU comic on display. Maybe at panel.

If Thor does well at Walgreens, maybe we'll see more Minimates there. They're taking some other DST stuff, and animated will continue.

Sorry but massively hung over. Did you just say a build figure.... You mean every other set is going to have a part for her?

For a wave of mostly redos, I'm super stoked for it.  That Purple Man alone is gangbusters, not to mention that fantastic Ghost Rider.  And for what it's worth, I'm totally in for that Moon Knight.  In those panels you showed, kostis, his armor looks more sleek than bulky and ultimately a big chest piece would spoil the essence of the figure.

Not that it matters all that much for me, cause I'm gonna kitbash an OG Moonie as soon as I get ahold of that new cape.  

Two questions: 1- Was there anything else on display? 2- When is the panel?

5 minutes ago, funkguerilla said:

For a wave of mostly redos, I'm super stoked for it.  That Purple Man alone is gangbusters, not to mention that fantastic Ghost Rider.  And for what it's worth, I'm totally in for that Moon Knight.  In those panels you showed, kostis, his armor looks more sleek than bulky and ultimately a big chest piece would spoil the essence of the figure.

Not that it matters all that much for me, cause I'm gonna kitbash an OG Moonie as soon as I get ahold of that new cape.  

I agree with all of your comments on the figures.

I don't know about the display, but the panel's on the 22nd. As far as Marvel goes, we're supposed to see the Netflix Defenders stuff, and maybe TRU 24 and/or 25.

18 minutes ago, funkguerilla said:

I'm going to end up with three of these because I want the capes! One for the same reason and another one so that I can be one step closer to uxm_a10_fashion-police-arrest_art-adams.

18 minutes ago, funkguerilla said:

I'm going to end up with three of these because I want the capes! One for the same reason and another one so that I can be one step closer to uxm_a10_fashion-police-arrest_art-adams.

Just now, Heinous said:

I wish they would reuse the wave62 hobgoblin hood. I love that hood, it'd probably look better on that moon Knight. Also on a new doctor doom *wink wink*

That hood piece had a bit of extra hood on the back. It'd need an entirely new piece anyways.

Much as I like the Hob hood, it wouldn't have worked as is. But it did have the "fabric flaps" at the bottom, that the new one doesn't have:

mk4.jpg

Hey, I just noticed; the fig doesn't have the holding places for the battons... It does look better from a distance though. I guess I could sculpt those add-ons. But hey, I'm glad to see muscle detailing and shadows making a return. What can I say, I love the look.

Sooooo... Would K.I.T.T. or the Delorean make a better base car to modify for Ghost Driver?

They look good though. (Full opinion later; on vacation and hate typing long messages on my phone.)

Hobgoblin's hood without the point on the back would have been a great piece for Moon Knight. The one shown is shaped kind of weird and it doesn't work with the cape very well, that might be more the cape than the hood. I think a thin armor piece for the chest, like the Dark Elves (criminally underrated minimates) had would have been perfect. Wouldn't batons and throwing moons be better accessories than a staff?

Since I'm mostly pointing out the shortcomings of the figures I will say I think Punisher looks awesome even if it might not be accurate to any particular comic look. He does seem a bit short on guns though.

Hulk still needs a green hand on his left arm instead of a sliver one.

5 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Sooooo... Would K.I.T.T. or the Delorean make a better base car to modify for Ghost Driver?

They look good though. (Full opinion later; on vacation and hate typing long messages on my phone.)

I picked up the fast and furious charger for $15.00 at TRU. the scale is pretty good. I'll try to get a pic up(I haven't had good luck with scaling them to the right size).

5 hours ago, stack32 said:

Wouldn't batons and throwing moons be better accessories than a staff?

He uses the staff to an annoying degree of effectiveness in the contest of Champs phone game. Might be a factor.

And for those keeping score at home Moon Knight has two minimates, Janet Van Dye has one.

Just sayin'.

13 hours ago, stack32 said:

Since I'm mostly pointing out the shortcomings of the figures I will say I think Punisher looks awesome even if it might not be accurate to any particular comic look. He does seem a bit short on guns though.

Punisher is from the Edmondson run:

1409652_orig.png

I've wanted one for a while now, so I'm really glad we're getting him, packed with MK no less.But I was kinda hoping for this look:

punisherblackcamo_zps2e3c8860.png?t=1424

It's just a black body & arms so it can easily be kitbashed, but it could've been added as an extra. I guess BAFs might have prevented that. Still, for the look it's depicting,it's a near perfect fig. I'd have given him fingerless gloves though, and maybe a more neutrual expression. Frank was surprisingly "chill" during that run.

7 hours ago, Mirymate said:

He uses the staff to an annoying degree of effectiveness in the contest of Champs phone game. Might be a factor.

And for those keeping score at home Moon Knight has two minimates, Janet Van Dye has one.

Just sayin'.

He barely uses the staff in the books, whereas he uses the battons and crescent darts constantly. I'm not complaining since I do have plenty of extra battons, but I'd have liked a crescent dart. Problem is figuring out how to put them on the fig, as the white holders like Bullseye's aren't easy to find.

As for the staff being in the games, it's just a way for them to give him a different style than just a brawler. Over at Future Fight he uses both the staff and the darts, depending on the special move.

MK V Wasp:

1.MK is a boy, and Wasp is a girl. Girls are icky, so point goes to Moon Knight.

2.MK has a hood and cape, while Wasp has skirts. Skirts are stupid and hoods are cool, so point goes to Moon Knight again.

3.MK is an army vet backed by an Egyptian God, whereas Wasp is just a fashion designer. Point goes to Moon Knight once again.

4.MK has had 4 volumes, when Wasp is a glorified "team member". Point goes to Moon Knight, of course.

5.MK is friends with Punisher. Wasp is friends with Sue Storm. Sue is and F4 member, and thus banned from the Marvel playground. Punisher is bad-ass. Point goes to Moon Knight, and the superior friendship wins.

I could go on and on, but the math checks out... We do need a new Jan though. My vote wouldgo to either the 2000s Black & Gold costume, or the recent ANAD/NOW! 2.0/Uncanny Avengers Vol.3 one.

8 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Just sayin'.

Just a little heads up ...............http://www.minimatedatabase.com/acc.php?i=65&n=Zombie+Wasp+Head

I'd like a new Wasp . I'd like any version anybody would care to suggest but what I'd like is a torso that allows her wings to be directly attached .

Now that's what I'd like :happy:

I love that Hulk , I can't wait to pose that guy next to Hulkbuster .

Edited by buttheadsmate

There are so many Janet van Dynes I'd like to see...

-60's red & black redo

-70's yellow & red

-Secret Wars green & purple

-80's yellow & black

-WCA two tone blue

-Perez/Busiek blue

-modern black & gold

-Uncanny Avengers vol. 1

-Uncanny Avengers vol. 3 (honestly I want this whole team, especially now that Jim Zub is writing the book)

I wouldn't mind the Pym Wasps, either...

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

Random thoughts on the implications of Build-A-Figures:

If DST is offering BAF to specialty, that means cases will be evenly packed, correct? That would solve the retailers' issues with lingering stock because a short-packed variant only comes one per case and allow them to order full sets per case for more than one customer. (I'm the lucky customer who the LCS owner smiles upon whenever I need a full set but I also tend to ruin it for anyone else who wants that chase figure.)

If this is successful, I wonder if DST would consider implementing it in other lines, particularly lines that aren't restricted by the 2" scale. (Yes, I'm still pining for a larger Minimates figure for larger characters, like Engineers from Prometheus.)

I'm also wondering if the packaging is getting any bigger to accommodate the BAF parts or if sacrifices are being made, like no more stands or fewer sculpted parts (Moon Knight, Jessica Jones, Quake).