UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2017 Marvel Minimates!

minimatt

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, minimatt said:

Here's the Marvel minimates displayed at this year's SDCCon. I snapped them as quickly as I could. Sorry for the quality of some of the photos. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4253_4GSsGTZVp0SHE1eDJDY1E

So presumably Quake comes with Reyes for obvious reasons, so who goes with Daredevil? Theres 9 figures so presumably a tru wave so whose the last figure?

Edited by FightTheDead118

Well, Zach did say we might see TRU 24 & 25, so Quake is probably part of them. While 75 is what I was looking for, I do have one gripe.

-Why does Moon Knight have no sculpted parts? His costume is supposed to be armor. Why is the chestplate printed? Why does he not have sculpted gloves/gauntlets? I mean, Daredevil got sculpted "bandages", but MK can't get sculpted armor?

The rest do look good, especially GR & DD, but does anyone think they look a bit... Animated? Quake and the Reyes head, mostly. Dunno, it might just be the lightning. Anyway, cool wave, and I hope 24 & 25 are more of the same.

16 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Quake is a build a figure for Series 75.

BAF?! Well, that is interesting.

16 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

No TRU comic on display. Maybe at panel.

Darn. Well, let's hope they're at the panel.

6 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

And Moon Knight has a new cape, I think? Not sure what more sculpted parts would accomplish other than bulking him up unnecessarily.

If Daredevil got sculpted parts for his bandages, I think Moon Knight, who wears armor should've gotten at least a sculpted chestplaste as part of the cape.

ANAD Daredevil:

ejhodl8ylg6brevdkhjz.png

NOW! Moon Knight:

Moon-Knight-2014-Armor-1-580x438.jpg4277938-portrait_uncanny-1.jpg

It's pretty clear that the... crescent moon...thingies, are armor/raised. If you're going to make the bandages/wrapped cloth around Matt's hands sculpted, then you might as well give MK armor-like features. I get the point was to make him lean, but the sculpted parts would be slim enough to not inhibit any movement I think. The chestplate could've been part of the cape, the crescent moons on the leg part of a boot, and same thing with ones on the arm, as a sort of gauntlet.

Edited by Kostisfire

The bandages were a re-used part -- I don't believe we sculpted new bandages. And a cape with a hood can get re-used, but a cape with a highly specialized Moon Knight chest armor would never get re-used. There is a certain amount of planning involved.

19 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

The bandages were a re-used part -- I don't believe we sculpted new bandages. And a cape with a hood can get re-used, but a cape with a highly specialized Moon Knight chest armor would never get re-used. There is a certain amount of planning involved.

Yeah, they were Shanna's IIRC. I get why he doesn't have as many new pieces, I just wish he did, you know? It's still a nice figure, but it could've been better IMO.

57 minutes ago, Kostisfire said:

Yeah, they were Shanna's IIRC. I get why he doesn't have as many new pieces, I just wish he did, you know? It's still a nice figure, but it could've been better IMO.

"....a nice figure...it could've been better IMO "  I feel your pain.

Shanna ? Oh I remember  ...she was packed with The Savage Land Reaper   . Just saying .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Just noticed that Jessica has an avengers coffee mug, which is amazing, and the approach to the jacket on this one is miles better than the netflix versions. I would assume that comic quake and reyes probably means we still aren't getting aos figures anytime soon unfortunately. The rest of the ragnarok figures look great, but was 3 lokis really necessary? And I'm confused about the tru assortment, whats the third pack gonna be?

BAF MINIMATES?!?!?!?

WHAAAAAAT O_O
This is AWESOME news! I very genuinely hope this becomes a regular feature moving forward. A BAF across a wave is a great way to knock out a character who doesn't need a lot of extra sculpting.
I very much hope to see DST walk the line between including characters who might not have the recognition to move a 2-pack on their own (what the long term collectors most likely want) and including 'must have/high profile characters' that encourage people to buy the whole wave (what retailers want).

Whatever happens, I'm chuffed to see Quake get some love and at the announcement of BAFs. That Ghost Rider is also brilliant looking! I'm loving what I see so far. Keep it coming!

This wave is so sexy.

I don't need that Luke and Danny, but I do need Quake, and I'll be happy to take the extra parts in the process. This should help keep any one set from peg warming. When you consider a loose mate on eBay will go for ten dollars, it's really not a stretch to think someone would buy an extra pack - or even two - to complete their BaM.

Certainly beats having to buy six $20 Marvel Legends. Aside from Juggernaut/X-men, I honestly can't recall the last time I wanted enough of a wave to make a BaF make sense. I was able to build onslaught thanks to some great deals, but whirlwind and copperhead went straight into a parts bin

Minimate BAFs?

I was not expecting that. While I was hoping to get a more classic alt. GR, that's incredible news. I really hope it isn't just a wave 75 anniversary thing.

I didn't think I needed another Punisher, but this one turned out well, and I'm definitely getting Moon Knight.

Purple Man is fantastic. Getting Jessica makes sense, but she looks so close to her MCU version. This jacket's nicer, I guess.

Matt's ANAD costume is a really nice design and it translated well. Ghost Driver looks great too, and it's always good to get new characters.

To be honest, I kind of hate Adidas Iron Fist & Uncle Phil Luke Cage as costumes, but their minimates look fine, and it's good to complete the current "Defenders".

I'm not that interested in Quake, as I'm not a fan of SHIELD or the Inhumans. Still, she looks like an easy modification to Maria Hill (who I never got) and there's no way I could pass up a minimate BAF. I guess she's in the wave because of Reyes also being on AoS, but she still seems a little out of place.

The Walgreens Ragnarok minimates look nice too...

The question for a BAF is what you're sacrificing to get those extra parts. There are still alternate heads for some of these figures and a few new parts so I suppose it's worthwhile from that perspective. Unfortunately they're debuting the idea in a wave with a bunch of ugly costumes. I loathe that look for Iron Fist and Daredevil is similarly awful. Reyes reminds me why they changed up his appearance for TV. Punisher and Moon Knight is definitely the star pack of the series though Kostis is completely right about Moon Knight. I've been thinking about how to design that figure since I got the ML and this one definitely took the easy way out. The hood and cape don't work too well together either for being new parts. "Could've been better IMO" indeed, but that seems to be becoming a theme.

Walgreens... ugh.

Thanks to minimatt for the pics.

Good stuff. Thor waves look great, so colorful and well done.

Wave 65 is looking good too. I'm not familiar with Iron Fist's tracksuit costume but it's so ridiculously over the top it's awesome.

Glad to see DST trying out the BAF system. Quake doesn't do much for me since she's an easy custom but I hope it leads to more sales.

7 hours ago, Kostisfire said:

Well, Zach did say we might see TRU 24 & 25, so Quake is probably part of them. While 75 is what I was looking for, I do have one gripe.

-Why does Moon Knight have no sculpted parts? His costume is supposed to be armor. Why is the chestplate printed? Why does he not have sculpted gloves/gauntlets? I mean, Daredevil got sculpted "bandages", but MK can't get sculpted armor?

The rest do look good, especially GR & DD, but does anyone think they look a bit... Animated? Quake and the Reyes head, mostly. Dunno, it might just be the lightning. Anyway, cool wave, and I hope 24 & 25 are more of the same.

Kostis: Seriously, you are FINALLY getting a new Moon Knight, for which you have campaigned for YEARS, and your reaction is to complain!? :wallbash:

Zach: You guys are really doubling down on Iron Fist, huh?

Can't wait to see Skurge out of the package, but that head looks great. He'll definitely stand in for the comics version for me (which has been a nice thing about the Thor movie 'mates in general). Build a 'mate is a long requested innovation, so I'm glad to see it finally being adopted.

Not sure this is the right thread, but I figured no one here would begrudge me for mentioning Toysrus.com now had the SDCC Exclusive Spider-Man Homecoming two-pack available for purchase:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=118953686&prodFindSrc=rv

They also have several other exclusives. I myself also ordered the Marvel Legends set (still in-stock as of this posting.)

Thanks for the pics minimatt!  Loads of interesting stuff here, after what I thought were very disappointing toyfair & C2E2 this year this makes up for it!  It's quite hard to assess it all straight away but at first sight really liking the Jessica Jones/Purple Man set.  Also some of the new ragnarok stuff looks cool, especially the skurge/grandmaster pack, though I would also like to see them out of package.

Oh, and the more I see Medusa the more I like her!  Really hope we do get to see TRU waves at the panel though, especially 24!

3 hours ago, bofox said:

All I can see with the Walgreens exclusive civilian Loki...

the-disaster-artist1.jpg

"I did naht hit Thor it's not true it's bullsheet I did naht hit Thor I did naht. Oh hi Hela"

so gonna make a Tommy Wiseau out of that Loki.