UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pacific Rim: Uprising

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

This shouldn't be rocket surgery. 

Human characters as 2" Minimates. 

Jaegers and Kaiju as larger Deluxe vehicles. 

I think it's more complicated than you make it out to be. We've already seen a medley of options users would like to see on here:

- 2" jaegers w/ Pilots underneath armor (can't achieve two pilots for one jaeger)

- vinimate jaegers, and minimate pilots

- 2" pilots, and deluxe vehicle jaegers (probably still can't achieve two pilots in one jaeger)

While I agree that minimate-sized pilots, and deluxe jaegers would seem to be the best option for consumers, I don't think it's that easy as a producer. Deluxe jaegers would require completely new molds for every part of their construction (assuming they are articulated), and most likely different molds for every different jaeger considering each jaeger in the film is extremely unique; maybe you could have a shared base construction/molds, and then use add-on parts for customization. As for just vinimate jaegers, I personally would rather not sacrifice articulation for scale. Personally I think 2" jaegers w/ pilots underneath is the most viable option in terms of production, and would be possible to get both pilots with a battle damaged variant of each jaeger (which would also allow for immediate reuse of tooling).

After some considerable thought, I completely understand where Chuck is coming from on this, it's a tough license to approach for their product.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be perfectly fine getting a box set with the two pilots, the Jaeger and a Kaiju. All in 2- inch size. I am usually big on scale for things, but I am fine with 2-inch Statue of Liberty, Godzilla, Galactus, etc. I would be fine here, too.

That being said, if they could reasonably ($40 or less) produce an 8" articulated blank minimate base and use that to make the Jaegers and Kaiju, I would not say no. Release them with two 2-inch mate pilots, perfection!

I like the idea of having the pilot underneath the Jaegers, like the Hulkbuster. Then we could have an extra set of legs, to display the pilot outside of the Jaeger. But there's two pilots so that could be tricky. This all depends how many waves they do.

Edited by RedTiger95

6 hours ago, RedTiger95 said:

I like the idea of having the pilot underneath the Jaegers, like the Hulkbuster. Then we could have an extra set of legs, to display the pilot outside of the Jaeger. But there's two pilots so that could be tricky. This all depends how many waves they do.

Unless maybe they do one Jaegar and one battle damaged Jaegar per pilot. Because you know those buggers are gonna get smashed in this movie. It'd get a few more uses out of the new molds too. 

Or put the other pilot under the set's Kaiju ala Terror Dog. People will buy two sets each as it is for the pilot and the Jaegar alt looks. Can't hurt to have the Kaiju have one too. 

Edited by Trekker 42

I don't think the licensor will go for the idea of putting one pilot into a Jaeger as if it's armor. Fans (IE - potential new consumers) might look at it and wonder if DST knew WTF they were doing.

The Jaegers will require new sculpts but that's obviously a cost DST knew about when they acquired the property. The paired pilots are where they'll be able to leverage toolings more than once.

If only there was a way to offer a cockpit for display. Maybe the packaging for pilots could have a backdrop that looks like the inside of a Jaeger.

maxresdefault.jpg

Personally, I think the best route would be Deluxe sets. Two human characters (pilots?) with a Jaeger, and two human characters (not pilots?) with a Kaiju. Maybe the Jaegers could have in scale Puppetmaster doll pilots that fit inside as well as out of scale minimate pilots.

Depending on the scale of humans to Jaegers/Kaiju, they could also just be bulked up instead of Deluxe.

2 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I don't think the licensor will go for the idea of putting one pilot into a Jaeger as if it's armor. Fans (IE - potential new consumers) might look at it and wonder if DST knew WTF they were doing.

The Jaegers will require new sculpts but that's obviously a cost DST knew about when they acquired the property. The paired pilots are where they'll be able to leverage toolings more than once.

If only there was a way to offer a cockpit for display. Maybe the packaging for pilots could have a backdrop that looks like the inside of a Jaeger.

maxresdefault.jpg

Have to admit a display for the cockpit would be incredible. And I hadn't thought about the pilots having to wear armor too, so in that case, it could be basically impossible (and look rather silly like you said) to have a pilot underneath jaeger armor.

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Personally, I think the best route would be Deluxe sets. Two human characters (pilots?) with a Jaeger, and two human characters (not pilots?) with a Kaiju. Maybe the Jaegers could have in scale Puppetmaster doll pilots that fit inside as well as out of scale minimate pilots.

Depending on the scale of humans to Jaegers/Kaiju, they could also just be bulked up instead of Deluxe.

I like the box set idea: jaegar, kaiju, and both pilots, but I also like this idea for setting up deluxe sets; allowing for more characters that aren't pilots, like the scientist played by Charlie Day or Ron Pearlman.

I'd be interested to see a sculpt allowing those 'doll' pilots to fit inside a head/helmet sculpt, and while it would be a neat addition.

Even a micromate wouldn't be small enough to fit in the helmet of a 2" Jaeger. I sticking with the guess that it will be two pilots, Kaiju, and Jaeger pack and the cockpit will be a tampo under the Jaeger helmet. I'd actually prefer the scale of the Jaegers and Kaiju to be 2" so that they scale with the Godzilla Mates.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I wasn't expecting Chibimates™.

20180217_100411-768x1024.jpg

As if the ‘Pacific Rim: Uprising’ 7″ line wasn’t enough, Diamond Select was also showing off a brand new line of smaller ‘chibi’ style ‘Pacific Rim’ figures! The line hasn’t even been given an official name yet, but DST’s Zach Oat has informed us that these are going to be blindboxed and likely feature little to no articulation. DST also hasn’t yet determined how many figures will be in the first assortment, as this is a new product line that they’re kind of checking out for now.

I was really hoping for Jaeger pilots as Minimates to compliment Vinimates or the 7" line. Now we're going from 4" Vinimates with little to no articulation to 2" (?) non-Minimates with little little to no articulation.

But, hey, they're adorable, they're blind-bagged, and I don't have to give a shit about them because they're not Minimates. B)

Edited by MisterPL

48 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Not sure what these have to do with Minimates. Different product altogether. MM and VM are still possible, if the movie is successful, but I imagine TRU would have to be on board for a tooling-intensive line like that.

I thought there were Minimates planned from the get-go.... ?

On 7/25/2017 at 8:43 AM, MisterPL said:

Create a graphic depicting a Minimate Jaeger cockpit scene.

Reverse tampo it onto the back of a clear, basic noggin.

Slip the sculpted Jaeger headpiece over it to cover it. Slip it off to reveal it.

Add this as an extra head. Tampo pilots in flight suits, cover them with sculpted yeager parts.

11 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Not sure what these have to do with Minimates.  

Clearly they're a replacement for Minimates. They're a sign of the Minimates Apocalypse. DST couldn't get Minimates collectors on board with blind bags, despite what retailers wanted, so it's a classic bait & switch.

July 2017: "Hey, we've got the Pacific Rim license! We can do Minimates and Vinimates!

February 2018: "Whoa! No Minimates or Vinimates unless the movie is successful and only if a struggling retailer is interested. But in the meantime, aren't these two-inch collectible  minifigures adorable?"

This is how the Minimates brand ends.

[/alarmist]