UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pacific Rim: Uprising

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, it's not like Minimates were solicited and then canceled due to low sell-in. They were just mentioned in a press release as a potential category. It's not like Minimates is a significant brand for DST. They acquired Art Asylum so they could offer Star Trek pizza cutters, not so they could make block figures.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

Just when it’s scabbed over ya rip it back open!

The Godzilla wound will never heal.

Never.

I miss Godzilla minimates. I miss having an affordable articulated Godzilla collectable. It seems Godzilla merch is just... so damn expensive.

i don't know when the decision to make the D-Formz before Minimates occurred, but Minimates are a standard thing we ask for with any license, if available. Superdeformed figures are a common merch category for Godzilla, so it certainly made sense, while Minimates are a harder nut to crack conceptually, as you can see.

It may have been a TRU preference -- not sure how far back this was planned -- but I know they were also designed by the team that made the action figures, so it may have simply been an expedient way to supplement our figure line. We have a licensing guarantee to meet, and that means selling a certain amount of product.

It's not really a bait and switch, since we didnt sell you anything, or entice you to invest in something else in anticipation of Minimates.

And like I said, these are not meant to be a substitute for Minimates, just a different area we're exploring. They are actually 3-4 inches tall. So they may actually work with human Minimates, like Vinimates, although not with Godzilla. i wonder if some later Halo Mates might work for customs...

That makes sense. I am curious, did you guys ask for the option to make SD Godzilla figures? I know Bandai released some in the states, so maybe you were blocked, but it would have been cool to see what DST did with those.

Man what I would’ve given to get Godzilla Selects. Something less than the absolute insanity that is the Monsterarts price point but with more character diversity than that one line you can find at TRU that only seems to make variations of Godzilla and no other characters. 

On 3/27/2018 at 11:50 AM, SCW said:

That makes sense. I am curious, did you guys ask for the option to make SD Godzilla figures? I know Bandai released some in the states, so maybe you were blocked, but it would have been cool to see what DST did with those.

I imagine SD banks would have been possible if we'd gone that route, but I don't know for sure. I imagine non-blocking action figures of any type were right out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch. That's disappointing. I hope you find satisfaction.

DST's customer service seems to largely depend on who you're dealing with, which I suppose is true with many companies. Mattel is the most positively consistent in my experience. 

The only Select figures I own are The Munsters and Netflix Daredevil. No problems with any of them. 

There is only one customer service rep, and she has other responsibilities as well, so give her some time to respond. Obviously she doesn't work on the weekends. I see all e-mails, so if it's been a while, feel free to follow up and I will check on it. If anyone received poor service when it was just me doing it, I apologize.

For what it's worth, I've dealt with three different CSRs and none were you, Zach.

The first was marvelous. The second seemed confused and after a couple correspondences I gave up. (No hard feelings. It was actually kinda comical in a "bless her heart" kinda way.) The third was responsive but unable to help because stock for replacement parts hadn't come in yet. I was told I'd be put on a waiting list but was never contacted again. I ended up finding another solution so I dropped it.

So between personnel turnover and circumstances beyond the control of CSRs, it's much like companies that do have employees (and entire departments) dedicated to customer service. Well, except we have Zach. :) And that's a good thing.

• 6 months later...

That headline is misleading. They'll have it on US Netflix as well. All five of those series.

The action figures have been doing well for us, and the first  D-Formz just hit this week. Hopefully we expand our offerings, but we'll see. I have trouble imagining what a Minimate or Vinimate would look like. 

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Pacific Rim Minimates would look like 2-packs of Jaeger pilots and other main characters.

Do we think the human characters would sell? Either they're civilians or all wearing the same kind of suit. I assumed the ideal, dismissing Jaeger Vinimates, would be to do sets of three Jaegers and a Kaiju. I figure to save on a CRAZY amount of new tooling, basic humanoid Jaegers would be plain Minimates, with different shoulder pieces (if needed) and either heads or headpieces. And gauntlets. Bracer Phoenix would be bulkier. It's a lot of tooling regardless.