UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Pacific Rim: Uprising

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/2017/07/diamond-select-signs-license-for-pacific-rim-uprising/

"Diamond Select Toys (DST) will offer a wide range of Pacific Rim Uprising products starting in 2018, including Select action figures, Minimates mini-figures, Vinimates vinyl figures, Gallery PVC dioramas, vinyl coin banks, replicas with lights and sound, and housewares. The movie will premiere in U.S. theaters on February 23, 2018, and DST plans to have the first products ship in time for the premiere"

I'm curious to see what DST will put out. I thought the first movie was a lot of fun and had some really neat Jaegers and Kaiju designs, so I'm hoping to see the same for the second movie.

Edited by Smashmaster12

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me extremely excited for this announcement, hope the 2nd movie lives up to the ridiculous giant-robots-fighting-giant-alien-monsters action of the first film. Hoping the minimates will be focused on the Jaegers and Kaiju, because let's be honest, I could care less about the humans in this film.

16 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

The only way I think I'd care about getting the humans is if they put them under the armor of the Jaegars. Just make them alt looks. 

That would be a neat trick since it takes at least two people to pilot a Jaeger.

33 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Kaiju & Mecha minimates......SOLD!

Please skip the humans DST.

Just the opposite for me. I'd love to see the humans as Minimates and the Jaegers and Kaiju as Vinimates. Heck, I'm even jazzed about the potential electronic offerings.

I do have to admit that Minimate-scaled Pacific Rim vs. Godzilla is pretty fun.

This is almost as surprising as the fact a sequel is being made to begin with. I don't see the jaegers working very well as minimates but at least they would provide some new armor pieces so Iron Monger and Hulkbuster parts don't have to be reused constantly.

Interesting choice for a license. I will be curious to see what they end up as. I'd loved to get some of the human characters from the first movie, but I don't think I'll want any from the second. I could totally go for Pimp Daddy Ron Perlman though.

I'll be curious to see what they do in the Select line as well.

I'm kinda surprised that NECA didn't fight harder for this license given how successful the first movie was for them.

I have to wonder if the Select line will feature a diorama of a city to build. That could be fun.

And if Hannibal Chau is in this movie, he's not listed on IMDb yet. I'd totally go for that Minimate though. (With some pilots, of course.)

While I want humans (it'd be awesome to have hunnam and Perlman as mates but that prolly won't happen) I guess if I had a spare couple dollars I'd buy the Jaegers they could be cool robot guards for Fisk or something since we know they're not gonna be in scale (if that was possible it would warrant a definite purchase). Cool human designs are more of an instabuy for me than not in scale big stuff. Times is tough and the $10 price point on 2 packs ain't Helpin. 

On 7/17/2017 at 8:34 AM, MisterPL said:

That would be a neat trick since it takes at least two people to pilot a Jaeger.

Just the opposite for me. I'd love to see the humans as Minimates and the Jaegers and Kaiju as Vinimates. Heck, I'm even jazzed about the potential electronic offerings.

The humans would be SO TINY inside the little Minimates!

Aren't Vinimates just statues, though?  That's no fun.

Here's a thought: Is there anything keeping DST from making Pacific Rim Vinimates a little more articulated? I thinking maybe six points (neck, shoulders, hips, waist) on a humanoid figure.

Or simply making larger Deluxe Minimates, similar to the ridiculously underscaled Enterprise ships offered in the Star Trek Legacy line. Something at the $19.99 MSRP since the $9.99 MSRP is already covered by 2-packs and Vinimates.

From the panel: it sounds like DST is having issues coming up with ideas on how to tackle this line. Chuck said he had no idea what form they would come in, and mentioned a few preliminary ideas they had; the most specific idea he mentioned being a jaeger minimate-stylized vehicle (?) with a smaller Rocket-sized human to go with it, but as previously mentioned he was very unsure of the approach they were going to take.

Another interesting tidbit; maybe it was understood by others from the initial announcement (I didn't catch this), but DST does have the license for both films, and are choosing to focus on Uprising first, meaning we could see 'mates from the first movie later on down the road.

Jaegers and Kaiju as vinimates or a wave of regular minimates would make sense too. Any of those options would be a better idea than making a smaller human figure to fit in a stylized (does anyone want that?) jaeger, that just seems like overthinking it.