UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

tru wave 24

Dave

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine a while back, but did these ever hit stores widespread? I just checked the TRU website and all three sets are still available (hint, they're listed as Wave 23).

For those of you who did get these at physical locations, did they all move? Any pegwarmers?

My store hasn't gotten any new Minimates since Marvel 23. No Predator 5, no Marvel 24, no Ragnarok, no Dark Tower, and no Alien: Covenant. GhostbustHers and TMNT are on clearance. Spider-Man: Homecoming has half a peg collecting dust.

I was happy to see Marvel 24 at TRU.com. More of their exclusives should be there, as I've repeatedly told them at every opportunity.

19 hours ago, bigvis497 said:

I got mine a while back, but did these ever hit stores widespread? I just checked the TRU website and all three sets are still available (hint, they're listed as Wave 23).

For those of you who did get these at physical locations, did they all move? Any pegwarmers?

Gwenpool sold out at my store, but I think that I am the only one that bought the other sets.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:00 PM, bigvis497 said:

I know the Schaumburg, IL Toys R Us sold out one case and restocked them at least once, and I didn't even buy any. (I picked up this wave at the Golf Mill TRU relatively near the Schaumburg one)

But then I know that for whatever reason, several of us multiverse collectors (not to mention Menagerie) frequent stores in the Chicagoland area... so... the first wave of Minimates usually doesn't seem to warm pegs long around here. (Though restocks sure do.)

But I check Schaumburg frequently for stuff, so I did notice they had them, then they had less of them, then they didn't have them, then they had them all again. All my local TRU stores seem to have stocked them at least once by now, if not more than once. As has already been mentioned, the Gwenpool set tends to move faster than the other two, and is usually the first one to sell out.

Oh and PS. They ring up $5.99 in-store too. Because of the same sku, Toys R Us' system thinks they're Wave 23. You'd think they'd be more on top of that... selling brand new toys at clearance prices seems foolish. But. Ya'know... whatever. Their loss our gain I guess.

Edited by Gillbob316

Huh... I also technically work just down the street. Go figure. Though only recently, I used to work in Elk Grove, but my company moved to the Rolling Meadows/Schaumburg a couple months ago. Though... technically I also worked down the street in college (because in college I worked in Woodfield Mall, but that was a job or two ago.)

Half the reason I check it so frequently is just because it's quasi-on the way home (with a very minor detour)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is really petty.. but Gwenpool's cancellation really made me laugh hard. It's like they shoved this character so far down our throats and they still couldn't make it happen.  Anyway, I'm looking for a skirt that matches the pink so I can male a boomer from the Liefeld era.

688713-1.jpg

I really want to get pretty close to this line up:

9a698977009ce92cc1432c8157b14201--rob-li

Edited by thereasonsy

7 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I know this is really petty.. but Gwenpool's cancellation really made me laugh hard. It's like they shoved this character so far down our throats and they still couldn't make it happen.  Anyway, I'm looking for a skirt that matches the pink so I can male a boomer from the Liefeld era.

688713-1.jpg

I really want to get pretty close to this line up:

9a698977009ce92cc1432c8157b14201--rob-li

Great minds think alike, I'm planning the exact same thing with Gwenpool.

Although the great thing is Liefeld was such a crummy artist, the designs were always fluid and changing... so you can take so many liberties with matching Boom-Boom's design or making a composite of various of Liefeld's takes with that Gwenpool. Like I'd feel sticking with the trunks instead of trying to find a skirt or painting a skirt would be justified as Liefeld very likely drew her with trunks instead of a skirt in a panel.

I'm aiming to recreate a similar line-up from a poster featuring a roster that never appeared in the actual book.

tumblr_ol7m0re8GY1vt2ynno1_1280.jpg

I'd even love to be able to make a Rusty and Skids in those two costumes they never wore...

Edited by AFMcGill

9 hours ago, AFMcGill said:

Although the great thing is Liefeld was such a crummy artist, the designs were always fluid and changing... so you can take so many liberties with matching Boom-Boom's design or making a composite of various of Liefeld's takes with that Gwenpool. Like I'd feel sticking with the trunks instead of trying to find a skirt or painting a skirt would be justified as Liefeld very likely drew her with trunks instead of a skirt in a panel.

I'm aiming to recreate a similar line-up from a poster featuring a roster that never appeared in the actual book.

I'd even love to be able to make a Rusty and Skids in those two costumes they never wore...

Yeah, I've been debating this for a LOOONG time. I always have wanted to use this as a base:

fig1220flg.jpgmarvel-minimates-wave-23-series-gwenpool

This skirt is almost there but the wrong shade of pink

fig1617flg.jpg

Since the GB figure has the perfect glasses and just need to paint the hair. I'm just stuck with the leg situation To me Boomer isn't a "thong" wearer like Psylocke etc but she would wear a skirt. otherwise I might just do basic white legs and then pink boots. I agree with you about his costume design. I remember reading an issue of Marvel Age and he talked about the elements of the costumes and how they were supposed to be adaptable (like pants turn into shorts in the savage land or hoodies pop out in the rain). These Legion knock offs work though. Sadly, the part about this run that is most frustrating was the characters that got side lined even though they were in the promo pieces like Magik, Rusty, Skids and yellow girl who "may" have been Magma?

GOod find on that skirt, i'm actually gonna aim for that. The break at the waist should off-set the change in colours a bit and who knows, maybe they'll be a lot closer in person than in those photos.

She did at least wear a solid pink skirt (no white line) in New Mutants Annual #6

tumblr_oy3edwswoJ1vt2ynno1_1280.jpg

As for legs, honestly, the Gwenpool legs are fine for me, i can see boom-boom wearing those shoes and lets not forget the feet were the bit liefeld struggled with so who knows what boom-boom was actually wearing for shoes most the time.

I'm just gonna go for the Boomer hairpiece we've got rather than paint any. that Ghostbusters one though looks great base for ANOTHER of liefeld's boom-boom costumes - the one she wore in New Mutants 93...

tumblr_osh1skZrg91vt2ynno1_1280.jpg

On 12/22/2017 at 2:20 AM, AFMcGill said:

GOod find on that skirt, i'm actually gonna aim for that. The break at the waist should off-set the change in colours a bit and who knows, maybe they'll be a lot closer in person than in those photos.

She did at least wear a solid pink skirt (no white line) in New Mutants Annual #6

tumblr_oy3edwswoJ1vt2ynno1_1280.jpg

As for legs, honestly, the Gwenpool legs are fine for me, i can see boom-boom wearing those shoes and lets not forget the feet were the bit liefeld struggled with so who knows what boom-boom was actually wearing for shoes most the time.

I'm just gonna go for the Boomer hairpiece we've got rather than paint any. that Ghostbusters one though looks great base for ANOTHER of liefeld's boom-boom costumes - the one she wore in New Mutants 93...

Yeah the colorist messed it up! Lol in other parts of the ssue yu can see where the lines are for the white portion of her dress. I dpn't reember if it was like that in the paper version but when I checked the digital one it looked great but no white.

10 hours ago, stack32 said:

I can't believe there have been this many posts on a theoretical Boom Boom custom. I'm not sure whether it's depressing or awesome.

Especially a Boomboom in a Liefeld costume! What a time to be alive.