Dave

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, elhonez said:

I wonder who the character is that's "been in a movie?"

(but is otherwise fairly obscure)

Hmmm, of all the characters who have been in the movies recently i think a Baron  Mordo comic character would be fantastic! He's fairly obscure.

4 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Collector's still pretty obscure, even if he was in GotG.

Just because a character is obscure doesn't mean TRU won't take them. They picked up the Mojo / Spiral pack. That's two obscure characters. Even if you remember Mojo from the 90's X-Men toon, Spiral is still C or D-List. Plus, the popular mobile game "Contest of Champions" gives Collector a bit more closure.

Edited by NerdyTrev

35 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

Just because a character is obscure doesn't mean TRU won't take them. They picked up the Mojo / Spiral pack. That's two obscure characters. Even if you remember Mojo from the 90's X-Men toon, Spiral is still C or D-List. Plus, the popular mobile game "Contest of Champions" gives Collector a bit more closure.

Oh no, I think it is Collector. I thought someone was saying he wasn't obscure because of the movie, but I guess I might have misunderstood.

Mojo & Spiral are C-list at best. I think Collector definitely has a shot.

29 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

Really? Spiral was a pretty big player in the X-books for more than 10 years, far longer than Mojo was around. She was in the Facebook Avengers game and was active pretty recently in the comics until all heck broke loose in Marvel continuity with the Secret Wars events.  She certainly isn't A-list anymore but I think that she is pretty familiar to older comic readers (I am now in that category). Mojo has faded into obscurity but has such a unique look that it was begging for a figure. 

I think another reason Mojo was shared was to cost out all the new tooling. There is no way DST would have dropped all that coin on a new tool for him if they were only making a couple thousand.

17 hours ago, Ronan The Accuser said:

Good callback Stegron, if it's a cosmic villain I'm hoping Grandmaster. Wouldn't be disappointed with Collector or Korvac either. I hope we find out at sdcc. 

Thanks, nice wishlist!B)   In fact to be honest I only remembered it because your list so closely matched the era and character choices that I would love to see. 

Oddly enough though and I'd rather collector or korvac than grandmaster, though I'd be happy with all three.  Having just seen that gm is in the ragnarok assortments at sdcc I'm now thinking he's unlikely to be here too so I guess collector is most likely if it's one of those three?

Edited by stegron01

I'm just gonna point out the fact that Collector now has an E-Ticket themepark attraction at one of the most heavily trafficked tourist destinations in America themed almost entirely around him and his collection. I won't argue that he isn't obscure... but his stock is growing... How obscure can a Marvel character really stay when there's a life-sized gold statue of them outside a building that has their name on it in the middle of Disneyland?

0525_nws_ocr-l-dcagotg-202.jpg?w=620

Rode it at the grand opening 7 times btw. Great ride.

12 hours ago, Padrino said:

Really? Spiral was a pretty big player in the X-books for more than 10 years, far longer than Mojo was around. She was in the Facebook Avengers game and was active pretty recently in the comics until all heck broke loose in Marvel continuity with the Secret Wars events.  She certainly isn't A-list anymore but I think that she is pretty familiar to older comic readers (I am now in that category). Mojo has faded into obscurity but has such a unique look that it was begging for a figure. 

I'm not trying to discredit Spiral from any of her awesomeness. She's one of my favorite X-Baddies and I'm ecstatic that we have her. I'm just saying that to today's general audience (which is what the Collector conversation seemed to be about) Spiral is relatively unknown. 

So this is wave turns out to be a mixed bag for me.

Like the new Black Cat... Gwenpool does not, nor was she intended to, appeal to my demographic of comics reader. Could not be more meh on a figure. If she were paired with another character I happened to care less about, It'd be warming a peg at my TRU.

Carrion is out of left field a bit. Sure a form of Carrions have been featured recently, but not the hood wearing, thinks they're Miles Warren kind. It's welcome, but feels out of the blue. The OG Scarlett Spider getting some modern tooling love. I like it.

Unworthy Thor was as unsurprising as his pack mate was surprising. Everyone figured Odinson to show up soon, but the Collector? On my want list, but waaaaay off my radar. Now I need to find a spare blue head to 616 up the upcoming Ragnarok Grandmaster.

And since 25 doesn't have a thread of it's own...

All spidey-goodness!!!

Jack O'Lantern! Beetle!! Excellent! Modern Spidey-Armor? actually high on my list! Doesn't look like he's still in high school anymore Peter Parker? In his Romita Sr blue suit, yellow shirt and red tie? Even better!!! 
And it's not a bathrobe, you rubes, it's a smoking jacket. Chameleon is the updated minimate I didn't know I wanted until I saw it.

And Negative Zone Spider-Man is kinda there. A name on the list of Spider-Variants to be checked off. Couldn't have put a non-Spider supporting hero there, Jack's not enough of an anchor on his own, none of the villains in this wave are. But that's okay. Glad to have them.
Does this mean we're closer to getting a classic Beetle now, Zach. Just tell me yes even if you're lying, it's been a long, long weekend.

8 hour drive up 95 with a barely working AC yesterday. Came home to a lot of little electrical repairs/replacements in the house do to lightning storms shorting stuff out while we were gone. Does not put a pleasant topper on one's vacation. 
But the modem, TV, and both laptops still work (invested in great surge protection there), and the major house systems like HVAC just needed new fuses which I can replace myself. So could have been much, much worse.

:thanks:  :highfive:

Liar.

;)   

(and if you don't get the BtVS reference, I can't help you)

Edited by Mirymate

Just echoing the love for the Spidey wave. It's a been a while coming, and I am super stoked to see the villains in this wave, especially Carrion. 
Great partnering. If we're going to get 3 Spideys in a wave, I'm glad they are paired with some very cool villains.

EDIT: I'm also not mad about the Neg Zone spidey. Very happy to see this variant. 

Edited by Nessex

8 hours ago, bigvis497 said:

I think Negative Zone Spidey may be the first thing ever merchandised from the post clone saga-pre editorial upheaval era.

Didn't Toy Biz or Hasbro do one of these already ages and ages ago though?

On 7/24/2017 at 2:29 PM, DSTZach said:

I assume we'll get one eventually! He's not on the schedule, but some crazy Spidey villains are coming, as you can see.

Yes, and I'm STOKED. Jack o' & Carrion were on my hot list, and they look great. Like Miry I never expected smoking jacket Chameleon, but it's a must-buy for me.

If/when you do get to a classic Beetle, DST may like to casually peruse the Marvel Legends figure that just came out. It's pretty perfect, with both wings and the carapace pieces (technically "elytron" pieces, I suppose).