UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

If I Ruled the (Minimate) World

Getting the Mojo and Spiral two pack, (and to a very slightly lesser extent, the Silver Samurai), from Marvel Wave 72 knocked my 2 biggest Marvel wants and another top 10 want off of my list. That kind of toy fun left with me a really good feeling about the hobby. It's very gratifying when you buy into a company and their wares and then they deliver something that you really want, even if it's a good bit down the line from when you started. I know that those figures were it for me, but everyone is very different, and the thing that I would least like to see might be the thing that the next person down the line has been waiting for. That line of thinking led me to wonder about what the ultimate couple of years of Minimates would be for me... if I could hand pick the licenses and lineups for a year or two. The following is an exercise in following those thoughts. I know that some would hate some of the licenses, and some would probably rejoice in them, but this is what would make me an extremely happy fanboy Minimates collector.

*While this is a pie in the sky wishlist, I'm leaving off the triad of licenses that just seem a bridge too far to hope for, even in fantasy land. Those would be Star Wars, GI Joe, and Masters of the Universe.*

***MARVEL***

I am not going to try to foresee the number of movie releases in a given year. I'll stick to the comic and animated style releases.

Animated Line: The support and new character selection that Walgreens has provided has been great, even if distribution and online access to the products has been a challenge. Continuing with WG being the home for the Animated style, I believe that they could pull off a nice move to really draw folks into their stores. In addition to the current animated shows, what if Walgreens had one pack per wave, or even a couple of full waves, of the Fox X-Men cartoon from the 90's? It has a huge nostalgic following, is filled with characters that are still active and relevant today, and would be a good outlet for DST to get figures that are absolutely over-priced on the secondary market into the hands of new and old collectors alike. This would give Walgreens a very attractive sales asset that would drive a number of different Minimate collecting factions into their stores and would allow DST to fill this sorely needed hole in many collections with new and updated figures while not having to use a Greatest Hits wave or a regular wave to get figures with low supply and high demand into the hands of their customers.

Wave 1:

-Professor X & Magneto

-Cyclops & Jean Grey

-Gambit & Rogue

-Wolverine & Sabretooth

Wave 2:

-Beast & Morph

-Storm & Juggernaut (almost made this Shadow King)

-Mr. Sinister and Psylocke

-Bishop & Shard

If this proved to be successful, the 90's Spider-Man and/or Iron Man cartoons could also get this treatment.

Comics Line: Lots of needed classic figures have been delivered lately, and are much appreciated. I tend to heavily lean towards classic characters over the newer story lines. Mostly because I worry about the classic stuff being eschewed in favor of the latest hot thing. But I actually find myself looking forward to the newer stuff with each classic checklist figure being crossed off the list. I'll assume that there are four comics based waves in this year of fantasy releases. Here are what my choices would look like:

Wave 1: Classic Covers

-X-Men #251: Wolverine (X-Crucified) & Bonebreaker - X-Men 251 is a very iconic cover. A simple plastic "X", slightly larger than a figure, could be included for Wolverine. It could come with a pain of attached hands on the tops of the X to mount Wolverine. Could look really cool. Bonebreaker is the next "amazing" Minimate that I'd love to see. I say amazing as it would follow in the line of characters being made that take the Minimate base to a new level, (MODOK, Mojo, etc...). Plus, I'd really love to see another classic ToyBiz figure get a Minimate update.

-Iron Man #128 (Demon in a Bottle) - Disheveled Tony Stark w/ Alt. IM Pieces, including Rhodey Head & Jarvis - Perhaps the most iconic Iron man cover. Puts another A Lister in the wave and lets us make a James Rhodes Classic Armor Iron Man without having to use the Wave 23 Variant War Machine Rhoes head to do so. Also, Jarvis, because Jarvis. Every Batman collection should include an Alfred and every Iron Man collection should include a Jarvis.

-Incredible Hulk (v2) #95 (Planet Hulk) - Green Scar & Silver Savage How could this set not be awesome?

-Web of Spider-Man #32 (Kraven's Last Hunt) - Black Suit Spider-Man (w/ alt. Kraven head) & Kraven - And as a bonus, DST could include Spidey's tombstone! Get Kraven back out there, (with lots of good weapons), and have a good reason to get a Black Suit Spidey back as well.

TRU Tie In Wave

*-Uncanny X-Men #139 (Welcome to the Team) - Kitty Pryde Sprite & Wendigo - This is a must have unmade X-Men version of Kitty, (with alt unmasked head, please), and th WEN-DI-GO that the two Alpha Flight sets really need.

-Incredible Hulk (v2) #95 (Planet Hulk) - Green Scar & Silver Savage

-Web of Spider-Man #32 (Kraven's Last Hunt) - Black Suit Spider-Man (w/ alt. Kraven head) & Kraven

Wave 2: Cosmic X-Men

-Corsair & Ch'od

-Hepzibah & Raza

-Vulcan & Gladiator

-Lilandra & Deathbird

I know those aren't (star)jam(mers) packed with A-Listers, but good grief would that knock out a lot of missing characters from the X-Men mythos. And they would all be very toyetic. Put them in black colored packaging with star dots, include a M'Kraan crystal, baby you got a stew going!

Wave 3: Avengers Under Siege

I know what you're thinking... WAIT, THE WRECKING CREW IS IN THE STORY LINE! Yes, they are. But no, they won't be in this wave.

-Wasp (Black and Gold) & Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara) - Have we had an all female two pack in the Marvel line? I don't remember it if we have, but this would be a great way to start! B&G Wasp is a needed costume for a character we haven't had in a long time. DeMara Yellowjacket would be a really cool MoE addition and works perfectly in a Janet two pack.

-Hercules & Goliath (Erik Josten) - We need an updated Herc, and the evil Goliath would be a sweet addition from one of the most dangerous incarnations of the Masters of Evil. Maybe even throw in some mix and match parts to make Goliath Power Man? Is that obscure enough for ya?

-Bearded Thor & Grey Gargoyle - We need a Grey Gargoyle. And no, I don't count Mokk!

-Baron Helmut Zemo & "Broken" Captain America - I know we've had a fairly recent Zemo, but this theme has to have the leader of the MoE involved, plus it needs another A-Lister. This Zemo could include an unmased head and the battle damaged Cap could come with a tied up rope accessory and maybe an alt head with a tear on it. That would be a first, right?

Wave 4: Asgardian's Delight

-Odin & Destroyer Armor - We need a classic Odin, (with a couple of crows), and a comic, bulked up Destroyer. Add in a an alt Odin head for the Destroyer Armor

-Volstagg & Executioner - Because we need the Warriors Three and Wave 69 Amora is lonely.

-Fandral & Malekith - We now have 2/3 of the W3, and one of the best Simonson Thor villains.

-Hogun & Hela - W3! W3! W3! And the mistress of Hel.

TRU Tie In Wave (Going with two new packs for this wave, because why not?)

*Heimdall & Surtur  - wheeeeee, this set rocks!*

*King Thor & Gorr the God Butcher - A cool story with an awesome Thor design.*

-Odin & Destroyer Armor

So there are my four Marvel waves. I could make 104 Marvel waves, but I'll move on...

...to Marvel Box Sets! I'll only do three, because even in fantasy land, you shouldn't be greedy.

Box Set 1: Wrecking Crew

-Wrecker

-Thunderball

-Piledriver

-Bulldozer

We just need to get them all in one shot and call it a day. Luke's Toy Store exclusive, anyone?

Box Set 2: Marvel Horror

-Blackheart

-CapWolf

-Frankencastle

-Jack O'Lantern

Step 1: Release it at Halloween. Step 2:... Step 3: Profit!

Box Set 3 : Modern Guardians of the Galaxy (Disney Store Exclusive)

-Drax

-Gamorra

-Groot  

-Rocket Raccoon

-Star-Lord

DnA style. Nothing else will do.

***DC TV***

I don't feel like we are quite to the return of the DC Comics Minimates, (yet), but the next step to getting there is the Arrowverse. Let's show our support for DC through some box sets. I'll only really cover the first couple seasons of Arrow and Flash, and maybe first seasons of Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow.

SOME OF THE DC TV LISTS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

The Flash Box Set 1: Team Flash

-Season 1 Flash w/ alt Barry parts

-Cisco Ramon w/ alt Vibe parts

-Dr. Caitlin Snow w/ alt Killer Frost parts

-Detective Joe West w/ alt... wait, Joe is Joe, no alt parts needed.

The Flash Box Set 2: Rogues Gallery

-Season 2 Flash w/ unmasked head

-Captain Cold

-Reverse Flash w/ alt Harrison Wells parts and Thawne head

-Zoom w/ unmasked head

The Arrow Box Set 1: Team Arrow

-Green Arrow w/ alt Oliver parts

-Felicity Smoak

-John Diggle w/ alt Spartan parts

-Laurel Lance

The Arrow Box Set 2: Deadly Enemies

-Deathstroke w/ alt Slade parts

-Dark Archer w alt Merlyn parts

-The Huntress

-Deadshot

Supergirl Box Set

-Supergirl w alt Kara parts

-Hank Henshaw w/ alt Martian Manhunter parts

-Livewire

-Red Tornado

DC Legends of Tomorrow Box Set

-Rip Hunter

-The Atom w/ alt Ray Palmer parts

-Heatwave

-White Canary

DC TV SDCC Two Packs

-The Flash: Flash & Earth 3 Jay Garrick Flash

-The Arrow: Green Arrow & Shado

-Supergirl: Supergirl & Alura w/ alt Astra parts

Ok, that's it for DC TV, now onto some more new licenses. This next one would be a dream get for me. From 2001 until 2013, I was watching at least one of the TV shows of JJ Abrams, (Alias, Lost, and Fringe). These licenses could be done in box sets much like the Tarantino Films, with a mix of waves and box sets for Lost, due to character list size. Call it the Bad Robot Collection. And it goes a little something like this:

***JJ Abrams-Verse***

Alias Box Set 1:

-Sydney Bristow (Blue Dress)

-Michael Vaughn

-Arvin Sloane

-Jack Bristow

Alias Box Set 2:

-Sydney Bristow (Black outfit w/ Red Hair)

-Irina Derevko

-Julian Sark

-Marshall Flinkman

Throw in some Rimbaldi artifacts, some alt looks for Sydney, and make some awesome sets.

Lost  Wave 1:

-Jack Shepard & Kate Austen

-Shannon Rutherford & Sayid Jarrah

-James "Sawyer Ford & Hugo "Hurley" Reyes

-Michael Dawson & Walt Lloyd w/ Vincent the dog

Lost Wave 2:

-John Locke w/ wheelchair & Boone Carlyle

-Charlie Pace & Claire Littleton w/ baby Aaron

-Jin-Soo Kwon & Sun-Hwa Kwon

-Danielle Rousseau w/ baby Alex & Rose Nadler

Lost Box Set 1: (The Others)

-Benjamin Linus 

-Richard Alpert

-Juliet Burke

-Ethan Rom

Lost Box Set 2: (Flight 815 Tail Section)

-Ana Lucia Cortez

-Mr. Eko

-Libby Smith

-Bernard Nadler

Lost Box Set 3: (The Freighter)

-Martin Keamy

-Daniel Faraday

-Frank Lapidus (JEFF FAHEY MINIMATE, WOOOO!)

-Miles Straume

Lost SDCC  Two Packs

-Jacob & The Man in Black

-Desmond Hume & Penny Widmore

This would be an expansive line. I've left out some important characters just to narrow it down to where it is now. The included stands could be the Dharma symbols for each of the stations, as well as black/white stands for Locke and Jack. The main cast would also be excellent candidates for Vinimates.

Fringe Box Set 1:

-Olivia Dunham

-Peter Bishop

-Walter Bishop

-Astrid Farnsworth

Fringe Box Set 2:

-Phillip Broyles

-Nina Sharp

-David Robert Jones

-September

Fringe Box Set 3: (The Other Side)

-Dr. William Bell

-Fauxlivia

-Walternate

-Fringe Division Lincoln Lee w/ alt Prime Lee Parts

Fringe would be one of my two dream licenses to make into Minimate form. I really loved the show and would love to see figures from it. And speaking of a show I'd love to see figures from-

***Twin Peaks***

Twin Peaks is my other dream license. It could benefit from the Vinimate treatment as well. I'll look at box sets to get a few of my most wanted figures.

Twin Peaks Box Set 1:

-Special Agent Dale Cooper

-Bob

-Sheriff Truman

-Dead Laura Palmer (wrapped in plastic)

Twin Peaks Box Set 2:

-Leland Palmer 

-Laura Palmer w/ alt Maddie parts

-Audrey Horne

-FBI Deputy Director Gordon Cole (David Lynch minimate!)

Twin Peaks Box Set 3:

-Man from Another Place

-Giant

-The Log Lady

-Maj. Garland Briggs

This is just a small step into the Twin Peaks library. I could probably make 25 box sets and still want more.

***Robotech***

Here's something out of left field. I really enjoy the deformed vehicles that we get from DST. One of my favorites is the MAX Jet. I started thinking about how it could be incorporated into a license I wanted Minimates from, and that led me to Robotech. While you wouldn't be able to have the jets transform into the GERWALK or Battloidmodes, a pilot and jet would be a really cool set. Plus, DST could make Vinimates for the other modes!

Robotech Deluxe Jet Sets:

-Rick Hunter w/ fighter

-Roy Fokker w/ fighter

-Max Sterling w/ fighter

-Ben Dixon w/ fighter

-Miriya w/ fighter

I think a Skull Leader paint scheme on a  MAX Jet would be so freaking cool. And the pilots would be a huge upgrade over the Toynami I-Men minis.

***Stranger Things***

Here's another pop culture license that I would love to add to my collection. I feel like we could get a full wave of Season 1, a box set, and an additional SDCC 2 Pack.

Stranger Things Wave 1:

-Eleven (dress/jacket) w/ wig & Mike

-Dustin & Lucas

-Chief Hopper & Joyce Byers

-Will (w/ Upside Down alt head) & Demogorgon (Closed Head)

Stranger Things Box Set:

-Jonathon Byers

-Nancy Wheeler

-Dr. Brenner

-Eleven (Hawkins Lab, w/ underwater helmet)

Stranger Things SDCC Set:

-Demogorgon (Open Head) & Barb (w/ Upside Down alt parts)

These are the figures what I would love to see *the most* from all of the licences that I wish DST would acquire. All of these are ones that I would love to see deep dives on, even beyond what I wishlisted above. 

Nice dream... largely commercially impractical, but I love several of the waves and the DC TV mates.

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

A tiger wouldn't hurt.

Ah yes, I completely forgot to get a tiger in there. How's this:

PL's Panthera tigris Wave1:

-Richard Parker & Hobbes

-Tigger & Cringer (w/ alt Battle Cat parts)

-Tony the Tiger & Shere Khan

-Rajah & Ty Cobb

PL's Panthera tigris SDCC Box Set:

-Siegfried

-Roy

-Montecore

-Mauled Roy

12 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

*cough* Rocky 3 *cough*

Oh, if I ruled the minimate world Rocky would have his own series of four 2-pack waves with every variation, every character and every movie fully represented. I'd even have an extra Peter Pitrelli for my inevitable Heroes line of figures. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2017 at 2:45 AM, pk13 said:

Wave 1: Classic Covers

-Web of Spider-Man #32 (Kraven's Last Hunt) - Black Suit Spider-Man (w/ alt. Kraven head) & Kraven - And as a bonus, DST could include Spidey's tombstone! Get Kraven back out there, (with lots of good weapons), and have a good reason to get a Black Suit Spidey back as well.

You predicted wave 77! Or plainly DST just stole your idea ?