UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wonder Woman Movie

Mattallica

I just saw it,

It was alright some are saying the best DC movie so far, I'm not sure it is, but could see an argument made for it.

the first chunk of the movie, although necessary to establish the character, is a bit boring.

its Not nearly as good as any Marvel movie  IMO.

I was totally surprised by the twist at the end, all the advertising etc that ive seen totally had me set up to think Danny Hustons General Ludendorf would be revealed in the final battle to be Ares

Ares looks just like his comic counterpart, what the hell was Lego thinking??? wrong look and not Gi-ant man sized in the movie

Edited by Mattallica

I liked it. Wasn't great. I'll agree that it's the best DCEU movie we have yet. Certainly tops MoS, BvS and Suicide Squad. The first act did drag, the second act was near perfection, and the third act lost me. The chemistry between Gadot and Pine was superb, as well as the interactions between their "Howling Commandoes." 

I'm excited to see more of Diana in Justice League. 

Edited by NerdyTrev

As someone who actively avoids the overabundance of repetitive and often spoilerific marketing, I was pretty jubilant with what I was seeing on the big screen. Gadot proved in Batman V Superman that she could exude the power of the Amazonian princess and she delivers here in spades. She's smart, strong, naive, inspiring, and beautiful inside and out. I'm looking forward to her further adventures throughout time.

That said, it was a little clunky in parts. When director Patty Jenkins insisted there were no deleted scenes, she wasn't kidding. Some scenes ran long. I can't think of any that needed to be cut altogether but by the third act, I was nodding off and that's definitely not the time to be doing so.

I still give it four out of five star-spangled panties.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was definitely the best DC movie but that's not saying much considering Suicide Squad was hot garbage in my opinion. However, I really liked this movie except for the very end. 

Lupin looked really goofy as Ares. The mustache was not very god like. I think his transformation was a little delayed because his voice deepened and he got bulkier later on but every scene with his normal voice and face during that fight scene had me laughing. 

I did think Gadot was amazing as Wonder Woman and all the scenery was great and the amazons were badass. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

This was the best DC movie so far. 
I have a few little disappointments. As far as feminist film-making goes, this fell a little short. Had it not been for the first 20 minutes, I don't think this would have passed the Bechdel test. For a film staring a woman, directed by a woman and about the strongest woman in the world, that's disappointing.
Which isn't to say it wasn't a fun movie - I was just hoping for the powerful, female vibe to continue through the whole film. To be fair, Avengers wouldn't pass that test either, and it was also a fun, action packed film directed by a feminist. 

Wonder Woman had a lot of flaws, but was still fun. If the DC trend continues in the direction it's going in, then hopefully JL will be quite a decent film.

3 out of 5.

It's not entirely fair to apply Bechdel here, as she is a woman thrust into a male-dominated world, where few if any women are even allowed in the places she goes. She talks to Etta Candy about clothes, an unnamed woman about Nazis, and she never even comes face to face with Dr. Poison. But the first 20 minutes probably render the test moot, unless you count Ares and Zeus as men, in which case they do talk about them (and Steve) a lot.

4 out of 5 for me! Maybe 4.5!

I liked it, but it felt like a Chris Pine movie to me. After all the hype I heard about how this was gonna be all about a strong female character, she didn't feel like the star to me. Gal was fine by all means but didn't get to show much range, I mean the first act of the movie she's a kid who barely talks and the second (and longest act) of the movie she's Chris Pine's funny sidekick who occasionally talks or says something goofy and the third act, she's just a bunch of CG.

And Pine even gets the more heroic climax in the 3rd act.

It was a good flick though, bout 20 mins too long and really had no inspiring villains but still the best DC movie in a long time, and better than a couple of the lower tier Marvel movies like Iron Man 2. 

I'd watch another just to see how they manage to do it without Steve Trevor to carry things. 

I also thought some of the CG was particularly bad. Like a lot of times in the Marvel flicks you can tell everything is CG but it's not so disorienting, but here, there were several parts where it just looked like Gal running around on a blue screen with CG stuff everywhere. That scene where she runs through the German base was particularly offensive. I was a bit surprised that such a big budget movie would have that sort of shoddy CG work.

13 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Iron Man 2 is fantastic. Sam Rockwell. The Suitcase Armor. Russian Mickey Rourke. "Please exit the donut." 1st Black Widow. Somehow making Whiplash cool without the use of a lavender costume and a green ponytail.

Thank you! I've never understood IM2's hate. Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer rivals Loki as best MCU villain.

I know Kevin Feige is waiting for Ike Perlmutter to die so that the TV and film divisions can properly crossover but in the meantime I'd love to see Rockwell's Hammer show up on Agents of SHIELD. And at some point Tim Blake Nelson's Leader needs to make an appearance somewhere. I hate dangling plot threads.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, DSTZach said:

Iron Man 2 is fantastic. Sam Rockwell. The Suitcase Armor. Russian Mickey Rourke. "Please exit the donut." 1st Black Widow. Somehow making Whiplash cool without the use of a lavender costume and a green ponytail.

On 6/17/2017 at 7:54 AM, NerdyTrev said:

Thank you! I've never understood IM2's hate. Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer rivals Loki as best MCU villain.

Thank you both. I've always enjoyed it, and never understood why anyone doesn't like it.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:59 AM, DSTZach said:

It's not entirely fair to apply Bechdel here, as she is a woman thrust into a male-dominated world, where few if any women are even allowed in the places she goes. She talks to Etta Candy about clothes, an unnamed woman about Nazis, and she never even comes face to face with Dr. Poison. But the first 20 minutes probably render the test moot, unless you count Ares and Zeus as men, in which case they do talk about them (and Steve) a lot.

4 out of 5 for me! Maybe 4.5!

Yeah - I take your point. Don't get me wrong - I still found it a very enjoyable movie. The clothes that she talks to the sectretary about are bought at the insistance of Steve though. And I would count 100% Zeus and Ares as men. Ares took the form of a man in all appearances.
Dr Poison is a bit of a classic B villain for Wonder Woman, and she was kind of relegated to hench-woman. I don't remember if she and Wonder Woman actually exchanged words. 
Failing the Bechdel test by no means makes the film a failure in all aspects. It was very entertaining. But, as someone who owes a lot of their comfort and freedom to feminism, I wanted a bit more.

It absolutely failed the Bechdel test, BUT when women set out to make a movie and don't use that as a benchmark of any kind, I'm not sure it's completely fair to hold it against them.  "Hey, women, be more feminist!  No, not like that kind of feminism, THIS kind of feminism." I know where you're coming from, Nessex, but when a Blockbuster like this has more women seeing it than men, I think it's safe to assume they're doing it right.

Re IM2: it's not a great movie.  It's decent, but not great and relies on RDJ instead of telling a good story.  Plain and simple.  Strangely, it's Tony Stark's plans that come crashing down instead of the villain's.  Because he essentially was the villain.  I remain convinced that Gary Shandling was Hydra in CA:TWS to justify Tony bring a dick to him.  Otherwise he and Rhodey were the heroes.  

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

It absolutely failed the Bechdel test, BUT when women set out to make a movie and don't use that as a benchmark of any kind, I'm not sure it's completely fair to hold it against them.  "Hey, women, be more feminist!  No, not like that kind of feminism, THIS kind of feminism." I know where you're coming from, Nessex, but when a Blockbuster like this has more women seeing it than men, I think it's safe to assume they're doing it right.

Oh - 100%. Like I said, I enjoyed the film. I think it's a success on many fronts. And Feminism is LOTS of different things to lots of different people. There's certainly no definitive model. I was just wishing for a little bit more. Maybe I'm too idealistic. Baby steps.

Loved Wonder Woman. Didn't come out of it ticked off or let down, which I cannot say about any of the other three recent DC movies. Probably enjoyed it as much as Batman Begins in over all DC ranking.

And I liked IM2 a lot too. In fact my biggest problem with IM3 was that it's ending made the main plot thread of IM2 seem utterly pointless. (that and IM3's utter lack of AC/DC, but that's neither here nor there)

3 hours ago, MiniFiend UK said:

I enjoyed Wonder Woman  and I agree it did seem to lag at times. For me I think they missed a trick with the "Commandos" as a SGT Rock cameo would have been a cool titbit for DC fans.

Sgt. Rock is a WWII-era character. Maybe he'll show up in the sequel. I'm just glad they included Apache Blackfoot Chief.

It's weird because WW was created during WWII but the film takes place during WWI. They could have easily made Rock a WWI character, I suppose, but I'd have preferred Enemy Ace.

The director has said she wants to make a contemporary sequel but one of the producers simply stated it would take place between 1922 and 2017. Either way there's plenty more opportunity for Easy Company to show up. Hell, bring on the Blackhawks while we're at it!

No, thematically WW1 and it's historically accurate and ironic tagline "the War to End All Wars" was a better thematic fit for what they were trying to do. Plus we've (the audience) have seen so many WW2 movies over the years, so this gave us the familiar "war in Europe" setting with unique situations that were only found in that much less familiar conflict.

I'd rather the next one be set in the 70's with a vibe similar to the old TV show. But that's just me.

There's also the fact that WW needed to be inspired by the end of the war.  Seeing a sacrifice to save the peace agreement (Peace at any cost!) gave her faith in humanity.  I just can't see the end of WW2 having that same effect- holocaust, nuclear bombs (dropped by the "good" guys no less), birth of the Cold War- none of that really fits with the theme.  And it was nice to get a different world war than the one we normally get.