UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Vinimates

MisterPL

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, yes. I believe the NYCC 2019 B&W Batman Who Laughs and the GID Mechagodzilla did sell out. The SDCC 2019 ones (Wick, Zim, Robbie, B9) all sold out at the show, although some inventory was found later. Hopefully we can bring some of GL and IT back with us.

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I will try not to sell multiples to people at the show, and If I have any left over I will list them in the store and let you know here.

Nobody would expect you to do anything other than sell your wares , you're a retailer ...you sell....that's the way it is.        I'm a collector ,my job is to moan......that's also the way it is.

You're between a rock & a hard place Zach.

12 hours ago, DSTZach said:

OR con exclusives introduce new collectors to a line and promote the sale of non-exclusive figures. All companies do it, including many very successful lines, like ML, 1:12 and POPs. It doesn't seem to hurt them, although they obviously have a little more history and momentum. It's a variant, not a unique character, and Anything we can do to promote Vinimates is  welcome. 

I will try not to sell multiples to people at the show, and If I have any left over I will list them in the store and let you know here.

Sling one towards the dude on toy galaxy on you tube he loves translucent stuff.

4 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Nobody would expect you to do anything other than sell your wares , you're a retailer ...you sell....that's the way it is.        I'm a collector ,my job is to moan......that's also the way it is.

You're between a rock & a hard place Zach.

Agreed. With the low production numbers I've seen them run for shows, I'd be surprised if they didn't sell through.

I hope the number of collectors brought into the category are worth the ones who are frustrated by such exclusives. It's all part of the game, I suppose.

Personally, I'd prefer attendees to buy more than one just in case they're picking one up for someone who can't attend but I'm not sure what that reasonable middle ground should be.

I specifically stopped collecting POPs because the exclusives were such a pain. I think companies don't adequately account for the downside of this strategy. If I was actually into vinimates (I've only picked a few up at deep discounts) I'd be pretty upset by the Green Lantern exclusive.

5 hours ago, stack32 said:

I specifically stopped collecting POPs because the exclusives were such a pain. I think companies don't adequately account for the downside of this strategy. If I was actually into vinimates (I've only picked a few up at deep discounts) I'd be pretty upset by the Green Lantern exclusive.

If you WERE into Vinimates, you might be willing to pay a slight markup for a resold exclusive, because you like the character and the original price is pretty low, compared to the price of similar products. But I guess we'll never know...

Not spin, just helping someone who's not into a line see what someone who IS into a line might think.

i totally understand people get frustrated about exclusives. I saw someone quit the hobby because they couldn't get a Steve Geppi Minimate. 

Edited by DSTZach

:offtopic:If we are talking about the same guy .......he didn't quit because he couldn't get a Steve Geppi Minimate , he quit Minimates because of his principles , Zach acknowledged (exactly) that in a post he made here on July 31 2017 in a SDCC2017 thread.   

Back on topic ......if we are talking about the same guy .....he quit Vinimates on principle because of the SDCC2017, DC Vinimate Superman promo :superman: .......the one given to the same party-goers who got the Steve Geppi Minimate .   :thud:

I shan't even mention the .....er.....SDCC2017......... exclusive Donatello promo Minimate which by sheer coincidence was the last TMNT Minimate ever made .......& probably the one that is missing from many people's TMNT Minimate collection.

You couldn't make this up!!

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I shan't even mention the .....er.....SDCC2017......... exclusive Donatello promo Minimate which by sheer coincidence was the last TMNT Minimate ever made ...

But think about all the new collectors who were brought to the line because of that promotional item.

I understand the frustration with exclusives, but its been part of the Minimate collector experience since day one.  At this point, it is part of nearly any collector line.  I feel bad for guys outside the US because there is added levels of difficulty, but it is what it is.  I collect pre-production Minimates.  If you want to feel true frustration, try collecting those!

My beef with exclusives is when they are impossible to find (not just difficult). Example: the Donatello SDCC EX that BHM mentioned.  Either like two dozen were made (I jest) or someone is sitting on a giant stash of those.  Where the heck are they and why do all other exclusives show up on the secondary market but never a EX Donny?

If I can help anyone outside the US get an EX Vinimate, let me know.  I promise to do all I can.

I don't remember the principles bit, but then I don't remember what I posted a month ago, let alone 2.5 years. There may have been principles involved.

But if it was the Superman Vinimate, then the item in question was a bagged, metallic version of a widely available Vinimate, with no red underwear. I certainly understand the completist's desire to get one, but not the idea that it SHOULD be available to everyone for a non-secondary-market price. It may have peaked in value the week after it was given away, but now it goes for $15-30. 

Donatello was tricky. We wanted to complete the set of four for fans, and Nick was willing to do a giveaway. But we weren't able to promote it in advance, so everyone who got it was a random TMNT fan or possibly just someone walking by the booth. But we did include a brochure for other TMNT products, so it did a small amount of advertising for us.

11 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I don't remember the principles bit, but then I don't remember what I posted a month ago, let alone 2.5 years. There may have been principles involved.

But if it was the Superman Vinimate, then the item in question was a bagged, metallic version of a widely available Vinimate, with no red underwear. I certainly understand the completist's desire to get one, but not the idea that it SHOULD be available to everyone for a non-secondary-market price. It may have peaked in value the week after it was given away, but now it goes for $15-30. 

Donatello was tricky. We wanted to complete the set of four for fans, and Nick was willing to do a giveaway. But we weren't able to promote it in advance, so everyone who got it was a random TMNT fan or possibly just someone walking by the booth. But we did include a brochure for other TMNT products, so it did a small amount of advertising for us.

Regards Donatello & its scarcity , I'm inclined to believe Shane's premise that someone is sitting on a stash .......& it's not me . Over the years several Minimate promos have arrived on eBay .......long after their initial release ......often in multiples, sometimes in eye-rolling numbers . I'm not saying that DST is at fault for this but there is no denying it has happened , if anybody does want to deny it then please give me the platform & I'll elaborate.     

I'm not sure where anybody said that anything SHOULD be available to everyone for a non-secondary-market price  ?   For the record ,& unfortunately I'll be brutal , the secondary-market price for most vinimates (USebay) is ,more often than not, LESS than the original retail price ($9.99?). I hope that Luke doesn't mind me saying it but he is currently selling Bane , Black Manta & Black Canary for a $1 each .......he also had the Joker* for a $1 but that's now sold .  

* obscure DC character not particularly in the public eye of late.

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.

I assumed the aforementioned principles involved availability of said Vinimates, and the price thereof, as the gentleman was no stranger to the secondary market. BUT I have been wrong before, and I'm sure BHM knows the date and time.

i won't deny that I have held back promos in the past and made them available for giveaways here, but we have never sold them in bulk to anyone, and I don't see how anyone could amass multiples, unless they went up once per day and brought three friends.

The Donatello giveaway was a one-shot deal, I believe, and MAYBE someone snagged a couple by going back, but I honestly believe the people who got them were simply, unfortunately, not resellers.

Hopefully there will be some resellers at ECCC, and also at PRCC.

My memory is average ,it is so much easier to use the search function at the top of the page .......tap in 'SDCC2017' & bingo you'll find the thread.

Regards 'promos ',I am not suggesting for one minute anything untoward from DST , let me make that quite clear & what Nickelodeon does with Nickelodeon's property is also up to them .

No otherwise inference was intended & I apologise unreservedly if you thought I implied otherwise.

There may also be confusing terminology ? Promos or exclusives ? Was ,for example, either of the Spock exclusives .....promos.......or exclusives ?  Ivan (Hail) lists them as exclusives , I would consider them to be promos........Geppi was a promo (MMDB) as was no-shorts Superman .