UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Vinimates

MisterPL

I've shied away from all other vinyl figures because, when it comes to stylized pieces of plastic, Minimates is my aesthetic. I typically go for photorealism when it comes to my collecting, which is why I like movie-based products, but Minimates are the only block figures I care for. Not LEGO, not Kubricks, not MegaWhatever, and certainly not Mez-Itz; Minimates.

Consequently (and fortunately for my wallet) I've managed to stay away from Funko Pop figures and others that may have scratched an itch, or in this case a phantom limb. However, in the absence of DC Minimates, my interest in DC Vinimates is growing. Characters like Dr. Manhattan are a given because they're larger and complement my Minimates. Even a Plastic Man might find a place in my collection. But the more I see of what DST has in store for DC Vinimates – covering the gamut from films and television to comics and video games – the more I'm compelled to give them a shot. 

I mean, look at these:

Watchmen_ManhattanVinimate.jpgWonderWoman1.jpg

1dctop-816x454.jpg

That's just the tip of the DC iceberg. How can I resist?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one change I'd make is to the packaging. While I'm generally an opener, since these things are totally static, I'd probably be more inclined to keep them in the package. A window in the top of the box that lets light in would be spiffy.

On 5/19/2017 at 4:44 PM, MisterPL said:

A window in the top of the box that lets light in would be spiffy.

While at Hot Topic yesterday I noticed a Nightmare Before Christmas Vinimate that did indeed have a top window. I'm not sure where I saw one without a window but I was happy to see it was there. I also discovered Vinimates have the same packaging footprint as Funko Pop figures. For some reason I was expecting it to be smaller.

I'm not sure we have ever done a Vinimate without a top window. The early Kevin Smith ones had it, X-Files had it, Alice, Aliens, Beetlejuice, BTTF, Dark Tower, GB, IG, FP, LiS, all have it. It's not a huge window, but it lets light in.

AntiMatterVinimatePkg1.jpg

Edited by DSTZach

I honestly don't know where I got the impression that the boxes didn't have windows in the top. It may have been a prototype at a con that didn't have it cut out yet. After Googling for a good part of the morning, I'm at a loss but happy I was mistaken.

JLAmovie_BatmanVinimate.jpg

JLAMovie_TheFlashVinimate.jpg

JLAMovie_WonderWomanVinimate.jpg

A Diamond Select Toys Release! Unite the League with this assortment of Vinimates vinyl figures based on the new Justice League feature film! Batman, the Flash and Wonder Woman team up to take on the forces of evil in the first batch of figures from the highly anticipated movie. Each 4-inch vinyl figure is sculpted in a block-figure style, striking a pose straight from the movie. Each comes packaged in a full-color window box.

Yeah, CW Flash looks much more promising. It's still good to be getting a Batfleck.

It's interesting that JL Wonder Woman looks like she has the exact same pose as WW Wonder Woman. Are the weapons removable?

I'm assuming the next wave will be Supes/AquaMomoa/Cyborg. If we aren't getting Ares for WW I can't see us getting Steppenwolf.

IMO, the DCEU Vinimates are some of the most promising Vinimates thus far. Not quite as interesting to me as classic comic or more CW DC Vinimates, but still. I'm not sure how likely it would be, but it would be nice if DST made Vinimates for previous DCEU movies as well. I like Aquaman's BvS costume much more than his JL costume, and while I didn't like a lot of Suicide Squad's designs, it would still be nice to get those characters.

• 4 weeks later...

Supes looks nice, I like his BvS/JL costume, definitely more than the MoS suit. I think it would be even better with more red and less light blue. That's not DST's problem, though.

Aquaman is making me really hope for BvS Vinimates, since I'd much rather have that costume for him than this one.

Cyborg, on the other hand, looks surprisingly good as a Vinimate for a design that looks so bad in the movie. I still find it weird that he's a member of the Justice League.

56 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I still find it weird that he's a member of the Justice League.

Yeah. Sorry, DC. He'll always be a Teen Titan to me. I'm waiting for them to say, "It was a shape-shifting Martian Manhunter all along!"