UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Unnamed X-Men boxset

Mnemosis

Giantsize1.jpg

Giant-Size X-Men #1 wasn't my first comic book by a long shot... but I consider it my first REAL comic book... and the one that put me on the X-Men path.

My dad owned a pet store around the corner from a comic book shop when I was a kid, so I spent a lot of time going to said comic shop, but I was very young, so I mostly just read TV Adaptations. Very early 90s things like Sonic the Hedgehog, The Simpsons, Beavis and Butt-Head and X-Men Adventures (which was the comic adaptation of the 90s animated series)... any time I tried to read a "Real" X-Men comic (right around the Jim Lee Era), the more serious and continuity-riddled tone and story largely flew over my head and I lost interest. I loved the X-Men Cartoon, but struggled with the comics at that age.

One day I found re-prints of X-Men #1 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 in the quarter bin. I didn't realize re-prints were worthless as a child, so I thought it was a real amazing find, lol. I fell in love with Giant-Size X-Men #1. So many pages. So many mutants. Some familiar, some brand new to me. Even if I wasn't reading a ton of X-Men, I loved the characters, collected the toys and trading cards, watched the cartoon, and learned all I could about these mutants.

I bought a lot of old books out of those quarter bins. Old books were easier to understand at the time. Plots were simpler 40-50 years ago. Thing and Bill Foster went to a carnival with their girlfriends and bad guys attacked, so they beat them up. Simple. Some burglar stole a kid's Hostess Fruit Pie, so Spider-Man beat him up. Simple. lol

Then later in the 90s, after the Jim Lee Era, I had finally aged enough that I could dig into X-Men proper and understand it. Which is why I want a Marrow minimate so danged much.

I think the first issue I dove into in the "Modern" Era (of the time) was X-Men #70. Two guesses why it jumped out at me...

latest?cb=20080914022310

More or less kept reading from there until I ran out of money in college and could no longer keep up weekly... haha. I'm now an adult, with a fancy paycheck, but remain a few years behind present day. Trying to catch up through Marvel Unlimited. Slow going.

Edited by Gillbob316

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first comic I owned. I have a cousin about 3 years older than me. So I remember reading his comics, mostly Avengers and Spider-Man, I'd seen Batman 66 reruns, I'd seen Spidey on Electric Company and the Super Friends. But apparently when I saw this giant thing at a grocery store news stand I had to have it, and they gave in. I remember memorizing every page till it literally fell apart. 

2012-05-20_190953_Marvel_Treasury_Edition_v1_007.jpg 

Shortly after, someone found this...

spectacular.jpg

And a lifelong obsession was born.

For those of you too young to remember these, Marvel and DC both used to publish these a couple times a year. The pages were 10" by 14" and the contained multiple issues. And to a 5 year old kid, they were magic.

Scarlet Spider - Wow. It is amazing you stuck with it lol

Gill - I've made a custom Cecilia and Joseph, but Marrow and Maggot are HIGH on my want list.

How about:

Cecilia/Bastion

Maggot/Joseph

Heroic Marrow/Prime Sentinel (w/transformation parts to put on civilian Minimates)

Villainous Marrow/Prime Sentinel (w/transformation parts)

17 minutes ago, Mnemosis said:

How about:

Cecilia/Bastion

Maggot/Joseph

Heroic Marrow/Prime Sentinel (w/transformation parts to put on civilian Minimates)

Villainous Marrow/Prime Sentinel (w/transformation parts)

I would be all over that. 

My first comic that I remember owing.

101-1.jpg

The issue (pun not intended) for me and my memory is that my parents used to make my brothers read me bed time stories growing up. They used to be thrilled with this so instead of the standard Dr. Seus fare they would stick comics in the books and then read me them. This horrifically backfired when Phoenix died but hey, it was fun while it lasted.  

post-638-0-74235200-1420290476_thumb.jpg       This was about the first comic I ever bought, the comic ran for about fifteen years & I still have every issue ...quite why I'm not sure ? :no:

This was the first US comic I read back in 1965 .  post-638-0-76792200-1420290423_thumb.jpg                                                                  

You see the headdress on Wanda in that cover? That's the only thing this set is really missing. We've had several versions of Wanda, But none match that early headdress. I'm really hoping its a 2-pack with First Appearnce Wanda and Graduation Angel.
Yeah, I'd like a set of all five X-Men in their Graduation costumes, but Beast's and Scott's aren't that different from existing mates (X-Factor Beast is in the same colors, but a different pattern, the difference between Scott's GSXM#! costume, and his graduation suit is the visor), and Iceman... well you have to get to very much more modern looks before there's a ton of variations in Iceman's appearance. (and while I'd buy them, there isn't a lot of call for a de-iced Bobby Drake costume collection)

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

post-638-0-74235200-1420290476_thumb.jpg       This was about the first comic I ever bought, the comic ran for about fifteen years & I still have every issue ...quite why I'm not sure ? :no:

This was the first US comic I read back in 1965 .  post-638-0-76792200-1420290423_thumb.jpg                                                                  

I would love that swordsman!  He was in the first marvel comic I ever read but it was a reprint of the avengers/defenders crossover storyline published in the UK's "Super Spiderman and Captain Britain" comic.  The same issue also featured...you guessed it...Spidey fighting Stegron on the front cover.

Since I'm a DC boy, I had to think long and hard about what my very first Marvel comic was. While I think it had to be a Spider-Man title, without a doubt, my first X-Men comic was this:

X-Men_God_Loves_Man_Kills_cover.jpg

I distinctly remember classmates talking about this story when it first came out, as well as The Death of Captain Marvel.

1 hour ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Classic Swordsman and BoEM/Kooky Quartet Wanda would both be fantastic.

So would I, Buff. But every once in a while, they used to slip a companion 2 pack into like a TRU wave for a boxed set. Or a wave. (You should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Angel was the chase figure you needed to finish the X-Men #1 boxed set. Oh the Humanity!) So I was thinking more in that vein.

Although, I also wouldn't mind Swordsman with a Kooky Quartet Hawkeye (eye pieces used to bet smaller and more triangular than any mates we've gotten), comics Mantis, or Eric Josten's Power Man (a frequent partner in crime in the early SA) either. 

3 hours ago, Chigarillo said:

Time, do you have a better pic of that Maggot? Would love to see that and get the recipe for it! Looks great.

I'll have to dig him out and take one, and I'm not 100% certain where he currently is, lol (the majority of my toys ended up in bins when I moved from a house to my current apartment).

22 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

I'll have to dig him out and take one, and I'm not 100% certain where he currently is, lol (the majority of my toys ended up in bins when I moved from a house to my current apartment).

Well he looks stellar!

1 hour ago, Mirymate said:

So would I, Buff. But every once in a while, they used to slip a companion 2 pack into like a TRU wave for a boxed set. Or a wave. (You should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Angel was the chase figure you needed to finish the X-Men #1 boxed set. Oh the Humanity!) So I was thinking more in that vein.

Although, I also wouldn't mind Swordsman with a Kooky Quartet Hawkeye (eye pieces used to bet smaller and more triangular than any mates we've gotten), comics Mantis, or Eric Josten's Power Man (a frequent partner in crime in the early SA) either. 

Old school Hawkeye and Mantis are great choices, but if we got Josten Power Man I'd want Black Widow in her villain costume, too.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

IF (please note the big "if") they ever make swordsman I think he'd most likely be paired with hawkeye, though him and Mantis would be a dream 2 pack for me.  I agree that the kooky wanda would also be welcome though.

Oh and I have that comic laying around somewhere too BHM, though of course since then I've read them all in the US versions - I think colour works so much better!!

1 hour ago, stegron01 said:

IF (please note the big "if") they ever make swordsman I think he'd most likely be paired with hawkeye, though him and Mantis would be a dream 2 pack for me.  I agree that the kooky wanda would also be welcome though.

Oh and I have that comic laying around somewhere too BHM, though of course since then I've read them all in the US versions - I think colour works so much better!!

Weird question... would you Wanda enthusiasts be contented with a head? Like if they just stuck they Kooky quartet head in with a Classic Black Widow and a Swordsman would that be ok or do you guys want the complete figure?

1 hour ago, thereasonsy said:

Weird question... would you Wanda enthusiasts be contented with a head? Like if they just stuck they Kooky quartet head in with a Classic Black Widow and a Swordsman would that be ok or do you guys want the complete figure?

There are a few elements to Wanda's early costume that go beyond just the headdress

sw-bigcostume1.jpgsw-bigcostume2.jpg

But personally, yeah I'd be happy with just a hairpiece so I could get close to that look. I'm not speaking for anyone but me. And that's the kind of thing more likely be found in a boxed set than a 2 pack.