UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Unnamed X-Men boxset

Mnemosis

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

...& what's going on behind Wolverine ...whose gloved hands are those ? 

I... don't know...
Guess the only logical thing to do is spend some time re-reading the entire Claremont/Byrne era till I figure it out. Nothing immediately springs to mind. Having observed Byrne's sense of "thumb in your eye" humor, it could be some plot he wanted to do, but got vetoed by Shooter, and he snuck it in that picture.

I also note that since Emma called attention to the fact she's had work done, clearly she got them after this "picture" was "taken".

5 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Take note of the Beast's stance ,where he's positioned & why ,that's the Beast I want. 

So Toad, Leap-Frog, and now Beast? Seems like a decent way to leverage a newly sculpted part that allows that kind of "stance."

7 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Take note of the Beast's stance ,where he's positioned & why ,that's the Beast I want.

That's a fantastic picture & I almost started to look for Wally .

...& what's going on behind Wolverine ...whose gloved hands are those ? 

Right? I can't figure it out since all of the X-men are accounted for and it can't be Kitty! 

Iceman had wandered into Marvel Limbo for a lot of the Byrne/Claremont years. Literally quit heroing to become an accountant. 

Still not closer to ID'ing what looks for all the world like an apeman in an X-Men training uniform.

Fun fact: Stephen Merchant is actually a large bio-mechanical robot suit.  That's why he's so... off-putting?  awkward?  The real Stephen Merchant is actually a small fur-ball my cat coughed up that somehow gained consciousness.  It was a bit of inspired casting, really.  

:headslap:
Gosh... so hard to see why Jim and Chris didn't go for that brilliant idea... Nothing scarier that tribble on steroids that animates chairs. Sorry we didn't appreciate your genius, John.
:rimshot:

3 hours ago, Mirymate said:

:headslap:
Gosh... so hard to see why Jim and Chris didn't go for that brilliant idea... Nothing scarier that tribble on steroids that animates chairs. Sorry we didn't appreciate your genius, John.
:rimshot:

I agree, his powers working like that makes no sense. But the more deformed body would have been interesting

11 hours ago, CortherX said:

that absolutely is the original Caliban concept. how interesting that it got included but there are no signs of the New Mutants... he must've been pretty close to making the cut?

I've been a fan of Byrne's a long time. Sticking a character like he really liked but got turned down for into the background of a piece like that is totally in character for him. 

The New Mutants formed after Bryne had left the X-Men. The Paul Smith era. The X-Men were exiled to space, carrying Brood embryos. Then literal new mutants began emerging and Emma Frost starts recruiting some for her Massachusetts Academy/Hellions. Charles reluctantly begins counter recruiting for his school. And that's how the New Mutants team begins, with Charles pretty adamant that they are not going to be a combat team, but only be trained to control their powers. In truth, Charles too had been Brood infected with a Queen embryo, and it was subconsciously influencing him to keep the new team close so they could be infected when Xavier fully transformed. Of course, the X-Men "get better", come home, and with the Starjammers defeat the Xavier-brood. Charles mind is transferred by Sikorsky into a new younger cloned body, which is why Xavier is walking around in the Secret Wars. And ultimately Xavier decided that despite the Brood influence, creating the New Mutants was a good idea, and the X-Men continue their education.

I think my first X-Men comic... IIRC I thought Nightcrawler looked neat and followed him back to his home title after a guest spot in Amazing Spider-Man. Think Cockrum was still drawing at the time. Problem is I back issue read around that period so much It's hard to remember which of those was my first, the issue itself long since disintegrated and was replaced.