UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Unnamed X-Men boxset

Mnemosis

On 7/8/2017 at 8:53 PM, Mirymate said:

ooooo... Stonewall... there's an idea...

Come to think of it are we just missing Commando, Stonewall, and the speedster to make up Freedom Force? They would be a fun four pack with a black legged and arms Mystique.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Sabre.
Yep. That's all we're missing.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:24 PM, bigvis497 said:

Coloring is a weird thing. Early coloring really didn't have much thought put into it.

Ho-boy are you speaking some truth!

On 6/22/2017 at 0:24 PM, bigvis497 said:

When Cory and the crew restore stuff for Masterworks, Epics, etc, they use a "warts and all" approach to the coloring. So stuff like red and green Galactus or purple Dr Doom make it to the final product.

Picked up the latest Captain America epic collection, Bucky Reborn, man are there some coloring gaffes in those original issues! In issue 124 the Aim agents are in purple and white outfits, which a few pages later turn into pink and white. In issue 127 they were blue and white! At least they're all the classic bucket head design.

Issue 130 is the one that really reaches. Batroc and Whirlwind are on the cover in their classic costumes, colored correctly. But on the interior Batroc is in an all purple outfit and Whirlwind is in a completely different costume (think Bulletman)... and it's purple and blue. Wacky!

I'm up to issue 131 so it'll be interesting to see if there are any other goofs in this volume. I never considered Cap issues in the 120's and 130's to be necessary to my back issue collection and story-wise I'm not seeing much to change my mind. Still, I'm glad to be able to peruse them and some of the Colan artwork is brilliant. He did so much nice stuff.

Also, can't wait for X-Men box set.

I don't have Bucky Reborn yet but I own every Epic to date and I'm looking forward to this one. The Coming of...The Falcon  (volume 2) had the amazing Steranko art and it had excellent reproduction. 

The original Masterworks from the 80's actually corrected the colors! That was a pretty controversial move for those who wanted the "originals" and AFAIK none of their trades do that anymore. 

Cap volume 2 was pretty awesome.

Did not know that about the original Masterworks. I try to avoid hard covers for comics, just feels off to me. Only exception i've made is for the two volumes that reprinted the original Captain Britain run. I do have most of the softcover Masterworks and it looks like they kept the original colors. I'm looking at FF volume 5 right now and there's Galactus in all of his red and green first appearance glory.

I'm glad they seem to be keeping the original colors. Some of them do look ridiculous now but that's how it was.

• 3 months later...