UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Unnamed X-Men boxset

Mnemosis

On 6/21/2017 at 1:07 PM, buttheadsmate said:

eXceptional .

If we're going to get this Toad then he really needs a better expression on his face....he needs to be looking a little more nuttier .

As for the upright stance ......I'd be happiest if I knew this particular 'mate was able to crouch more than( I'm told)  all other minimates can crouch .:whistling:

Do this DST....... please.

Yeah, I think Toad needs a different expression too something like the grin wave 4 Bullseye or wave 7 Rhino have.

For Toad crouching maybe just modified feet with the peg on a slant would make Toad look more like he is crouching instead of just squatting, instead of creating a totally new leg piece.

For the Quicksilver adding lime green Captain America gloves and cap boots that covers up the white and a lime green crotch piece would probably work. If that’s the case I would probably buy two sets for both the classic Quicksilver look and Mastermind.

Otherwise the extra arms from wave 47 Dazzler and extra legs from Shape-Shifter Sandman should work for the Mastermind. Then the Mastermind head, torso and coat are in this set would complete the quick custom.

Edited by Scorpion

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, CortherX said:

i really can't believe the hissy fit being thrown over Toad not being able to crouch...

...you're only speaking for yourself, right? 

13 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

...When I post...& please listen fucking carefully......very fucking carefully.......I am speaking for myself. Try it ,you might like it

Someone didn't follow the fucking directions!

I'm normally one to nitpick little things that could be improved upon but this is the first set where I like all 4 characters and have no qualms whatsoever.  I think they all great and as someone who doesn't need another Professor X, I love that we can make him into Mastermind!

On 6/21/2017 at 0:37 PM, JeffBohn said:

Soon is... Today!

xmenbro.png

I like the Professor X ,it's also clever that we get an extra ....Mastermind , no issues with either ,they're just fine . I think Marvel Girl is great & I particularly like the way her belt is portrayed making her appear far more slender than many female minimate portrayals . Quicksilver ...terrific & I wouldn't have even noticed other peoples' opinion that the colours might be inexact . 

That left me with the disappointment...my personal disappointment which I'm now wishing I hadn't shared with the rest of the forum ....of the Toad . 

On 2/24/2017 at 8:49 AM, buttheadsmate said:

It's difficult not to agree with that either ..........:D

DST do a pretty good job but it doesn't hurt to ask why ?.......... sometimes. 

I always start with "look how many Iron Man variations we've had "...........currently 71 . That's a lot of Iron Man .  I love Iron Man but that's a lot of Iron Man .

Each of us has our personal (Marvel especially for me) minimate grail & I understand that that figure might not be too 'commercial'  but there is a seriously long list of saleable missing characters . 

That said, I may well write my own comic series & get it published by Marvel ......seems easy enough from what I've seen recently .

it would revolve around a WW2 Nick Fury sans eye patch teaming up with a 60's Swordsman (Duquesne), Deathlok  & Green-skirted Marvel Girl going in search of Ghost Rider's motorbike which has been stolen by The Toad ,The Enchantress,The Executioner & The Super Adaptoid .   Not much of a plot ........ but that's the idea these days isn't it :whistling:

Once published I reckon ol' Chuck will never being saying never ....er....ever.

This ought to be in another thread ...there undoubtedly is one or was one but I'm happy here .

4 months ago ,way before this thread began, I just dreamed of having a Toad & a Green-skirted Marvel girl in my collection .

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

Quicksilver ...terrific & I wouldn't have even noticed other peoples' opinion that the colours might be inexact .

The funny thing here is that the complaint regarding Quicksilver is based entirely on demonstrable costume details that could be addressed with existing Minimate parts. It's not an opinion that the colors are inexact; it's fact. The opinion is how important it would be to represent the short lived non-white trimmed version of the costume. For me, it's a non-issue. This Pietro is going straight into my parts bin.

Oddly enough, if I had ANY complaint about this set, it would be Jean's hair, BUT... that is only because I wasn't a reader back then and any exposure I have to this costume was drawn by modern artists who gave her a more modern hair style. I realize it is inaccurate to the era, but it's what I picture when I picture this look.

Just now, Minimatetastic said:

Might want to tell him that with his whole "When I post...& please listen fucking carefully......very fucking carefully......." on the previous page.

Agreed.

Looking at that list, Zach said that two characters would be made. We're obviously getting Toad and Marvel Girl, so does that mean Executioner is out for wave 74, since he was listed too? 

15 minutes ago, Mnemosis said:

I know you've already mentioned it, but this is the cover of Jean's first issue with the new costume:

X-Men Vol 1 39

And here are a few other pictures from the 60's:

Image result for marvel girl jean 1960sImage result for marvel girl jean 1960sImage result for marvel girl jean 1960s

I understand where you're coming from, but this hairstyle is at least as valid as the 90's versions.

Also, this is weird and off-topic, but does anyone else see Alicia Silverstone in Jean's unmasked head?

I'm surprised people haven't picked up on the real flaw in this set: Jean's part in the masked hairpiece is clearly in the center, whereas on the unmasked hairpiece it's clearly to the side. I hope someone gets fired for that blunder.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Dang now I want to read that Jim Lee book. Is it too much to hope that there's a trade with it somewhere? Any suggestions?

I'd start at your local library.  All of the libraries near me have pretty extensive comic books sections now with classic stuff and brand new stuff.

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Looking at that list, Zach said that two characters would be made. We're obviously getting Toad and Marvel Girl, so does that mean Executioner is out for wave 74, since he was listed too? 

What list are we talking about?

1 hour ago, MisterMiracle said:

I'd start at your local library.  All of the libraries near me have pretty extensive comic books sections now with classic stuff and brand new stuff.

Agreed, I've been able to check out some great X-Men comics from my library. And if you can't find it there, my go-to site to read comics is here (assuming you don't mind reading digital).

I'd just like to point out the fact that I'm the guy who had the Toad signature for like 5 years, and I couldn't give a crap that he doesn't come with a crouching leg piece. Would it have been a neat new niche piece? Sure! Did I expect one? No! Before this thread the thought never even crossed my mind. All I ever expect is a basic minimate body, some decals and maybe a hairpiece given the character. Any other bits and bobs that come on top of that are a bonus.

Remember when every minimate was a basic body with maybe a belt, hairpiece and weapon?
Remember when Chuck used to STRIVE to keep minimates as basic as possible?

Sure, we've gotten some crazy crap added to these figures over the years. Just the other day I added a Man-thing and a Mojo to my collection. But lets not lose perspective here.

We're having a hissy fit over whether or not a figure comes with a one-off set of non-poseable niche legs that only apply to THAT character (and maybe 1 or 2 others, assuming the sculpt was generic enough) in a non-play display-only context. I mean COME ON people!

ANYWAY...

Beyond that mini-rant...

I saw a lot of people saying Xavier that turns into Changeling last week and admittedly never believed it. I understood the reasoning behind it... but the two characters don't have a very strong resemblance. Changeling wore a blinged-out baby blue and purple jumpsuit with the stupidest headpiece ever. Xavier wears suits in dull neutral colors. I'm not saying it would be impossible to make the leap, but you'd need to put Xavier in a pastel blue suit at the very least... which... seemed unlikely. Add to that you'd have to add all kinds of gloves and straps and purple accesories, to get him to Changeling and... it always seemed like a stretch.

Though I admittedly never even considered Xavier to Mastermind.

Personally I'd prefer Changeling, as I always enjoy getting new X-Men. But new X-Men villains are a close second.

Quicksilver is the yawner for me on this one. Never really been much for the classic brotherhood personally. Prefer the freedom force era version. Blue Quicksilver does just fine for me. BUT... whatever, I'll take him. Would have preferred Changeling or Mimic, but I'll take him.

A must-buy set all around for me. But that should be obvious. My only question at this point is do I get one, and just change Xavier into Mastermind permanently, or get 2, so I can have both at the same time.

Edited by Gillbob316

3 big time wants for me.  Very glad we're finally seeing them, but I'm sorry BHM isn't happier about it.  Certainly, after waiting so many damn years for Toad, it's easy to understand high expectations.

12 minutes ago, karamazov80 said:

3 big time wants for me.  Very glad we're finally seeing them, but I'm sorry BHM isn't happier about it.  Certainly, after waiting so many damn years for Toad, it's easy to understand high expectations.

I mean come on. It's toad. If you have high expectations for him you deserve to be let down. 

30 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Nice. I definitely don't mind digital if it's free, haha. Unfortunately my library doesn't stock more than like 6 or so trades that I've long since read. Thanks for the link though ovenproof!

I guess I'm pretty fortunate when it comes to the amount of trades my library stocks. I was able to read Whedon's Astonishing run, the Bendis Uncanny run,  90% of Bunn's Uncanny run, and the Bendis All New X-Men run. And let me tell you, I am now a pretty big fan of Bunn as a writer, especially after also reading the first few issues of X-Men Blue.