Unnamed X-Men boxset

Mnemosis

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, elhonez said:

Bwahaha. Awesome. 

Yeah I don't get the crouch hate. I do second the motion that SW and QS merit a classic two-pack for their proper Brotherhood/"Cap's Kooky Quartet" Avengers looks. 

But I don't want to detract from this awesome moment of a great 4-pack reveal that over-delivers on some key fan demands. Kudos!

Long thought that a Cap's Kooky Quartet set with Cap, Hawkeye, Wanda and Pietro would be a good idea. Costumes are all different enough to justify it in my mind, and I'd love to see a Cap 'mate styled to look like Kirby drew him.

Coloring is a weird thing. Early coloring really didn't have much thought put into it. White in particular wasn't used much because you could see through the newsprint paper. Everyone probably knows the story about how Dave Cockrum originally intended Phoenix to be white instead of green. Printers couldn't use that much white without the final product looking "cheap."

When Cory and the crew restore stuff for Masterworks, Epics, etc, they use a "warts and all" approach to the coloring. So stuff like red and green Galactus or purple Dr Doom make it to the final product. But when these tales are revisited in later comics that's often what is considered canon. So when Galactus shows up in Marvels (in continuity!) he's the Big G we all recognize. Hope I made sense.

So is green Quicksilver supposed to have white or green trim in canon? You could go either way. I haven't read Avengers: EMH in years. What did he look like there? 

46 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

there is no 'crouch hate' just crouch wish :confused: Big difference .

-notintheherdmate

5 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

If anybody has a Minimate that can crouch 'comme a crapaud' then pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase fucking post a picture & then I swear I'll shut the frog up.

We always get so bleeding close to perfection so often with so many Minimates that it really makes it so important to get it right  .......or please just don't bother .

:confused: I bet Gepetto never wished like this.

...Wait, who is the "herd"? People who understand Minimates articulation and its inherent limitations?

21 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

My two cents, if you want super articulation that allows squats/crouches/etc then you're collecting the wrong line.

:yes:

32 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

My two cents, if you want super articulation that allows squats/crouches/etc then you're collecting the wrong line.

32 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I don't recall saying that I wanted all Minimates to be able to crouch ? I would like the long-awaited Toad to be able to demonstrate his ability to crouch .

Maybe I should've collected a line that has every character sitting in a wheel chair . Oh sorry I remember the wheelchair has something to do with prof.X 's character :glare:

34 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

I don't recall saying that I wanted all Minimates to be able to crouch ? I would like the long-awaited Toad to be able to demonstrate his ability to crouch .

Maybe I should've collected a line that has every character sitting in a wheel chair . Oh sorry I remember the wheelchair has something to do with prof.X 's character :glare:

A wheelchair is an accessory. If you are specifically asking for a crouching-leg accessory, then that was not in the cards for this set. But to make the Minimate itself crouch more than a crouching Minimate can crouch, his legs would need to be different from all other Minimate legs. Which we do not do often, certainly not for fully humanoid beings.

33 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

I understand inherent limitations Zach don't worry about that :yes:

DST produced a whole new line ....Battle Beasts......that just threw the rules right out of the window......you might recall that line Zach ? 

They were animal hybrids, and even with the new hooves and spider legs and snake tails and such, the legs mostly moved in the normal manner. If the line had done well, and we'd gotten to a crouching frog-person, maybe we might have frogged those legs up, and had them to use here, but the line did not do as well as we'd hoped. If only there was another hopping character we could do in the Marvel line...

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_266.jpg

Leap-Frog leapt to my mind, too.

Looking at the Minimates legs, modifying them wouldn't help. If the knees bend more than 90° it messes with the center of gravity and throws off the balance the figures need to get into that delightful squat.

If you want a decent, articulated crouch, it looks like it's the feet that would have to change as well as the head in order to get the figure to look forward instead of down.

47 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

I think a crouch leg piece would amazing.

Maybe it could be in that never gonna happen accessory pack with thwip hands (seriously you make spiral thwip hands and not spidey's???) and a web net/chute. 

As we ...that is ....all of us...everyone....knows ......... a crouch leg piece is completely unnecessary .

I forgive you for suggesting otherwise.

Thanks again & please send me your paypal addy :thumbsup:

This fandom always makes me chuckle. Maybe I'm too simple of a man. People hate special pieces because they ruin the simple aesthetic. People hate the lack of special pieces because without them, the figures aren't accurate enough. Meanwhile, I'm over here liking a toy line that offers an insanely wide array of properties and characters within those properties coupled with an amazing play feature at a ridiculously reasonable price. Are there things I'd like to have that don't exist? Sure! But everything I get is a thing I didn't used to have and that's pretty cool.

"Show me crouched miniatures and I'll shut up."

::multiple pictures of crouched Minimates are posted::

::griping continues::

And, as regards "If you can't get it right, please don't bother"...

Please kindly speak for yourself; because I'll take DST "not getting it right" over the crap most toy companies pump out any day.

And might I suggest putting Toad, in the crouchiest crouch you can manage, on a jump/flight base? I bet it'll look superb even to the most critical eye.

Definitely a must have set! Although I'm perfectly happy with my Jim Lee era Prof. X, adding the parts to make him Mastermind is genius. That way new fans can get a Professor but old fans still get a new character. Even though I never cared for Quicksilver in green, I can still use him to update the first Quicksilver minimate, which I have. Toad is a welcome addition too, but the star of the set for me is Jean. That's the costume she chose to wear when she fought for her life (and ultimately sacrificed herself) at the end of the Dark Phoenix saga. We can finally recreate the cover to Uncanny X-Men # 134. :)

As regards "If you can't get it right,please don't bother" .....I was...kindly :yes: ... speaking for myself ...not for you. You'll notice when you post you're speaking for you &...thankfully .... not for me .

When I post...& please listen fucking carefully......very fucking carefully.......I am speaking for myself.              Try it ,you might like it

Go back it's all there ...I was speaking for myself .... never unusual for me, a way simpler man than thou.

Multiple pictures of minimates crouching ?  Have you any of those pictured 'mates ? Lucky ol' you 'cause none of them exist in my tiny little collection .

49 minutes ago, Mnemosis said:

This fandom always makes me chuckle. Maybe I'm too simple of a man. People hate special pieces because they ruin the simple aesthetic. People hate the lack of special pieces because without them, the figures aren't accurate enough. Meanwhile, I'm over here liking a toy line that offers an insanely wide array of properties and characters within those properties coupled with an amazing play feature at a ridiculously reasonable price. Are there things I'd like to have that don't exist? Sure! But everything I get is a thing I didn't used to have and that's pretty cool.

"Show me crouched miniatures and I'll shut up."

::multiple pictures of crouched Minimates are posted::

::griping continues::

And, as regards "If you can't get it right, please don't bother"...

Please kindly speak for yourself; because I'll take DST "not getting it right" over the crap most toy companies pump out any day.

And might I suggest putting Toad, in the crouchiest crouch you can manage, on a jump/flight base? I bet it'll look superb even to the most critical eye.

Repeated for posterity.

Just now, buttheadsmate said:

As regards "If you can't get it right,please don't bother" .....I was...kindly :yes: ... speaking for myself ...not for you. You'll notice when you post you're speaking for you &...thankfully .... not for me .

When I post...& please listen fucking carefully......very fucking carefully.......I am speaking for myself.              Try it ,you might like it

Go back it's all there ...I was speaking for myself .... never unusual for me, a way simpler man than thou.

Multiple pictures of minimates crouching ?  Have you any of those pictured 'mates ? Lucky ol' you 'cause none of them exist in my tiny little collection .

Repeated for ridiculousness.

Personally, I'm fine with the squat-crouch. Double hinged or hollowed out minimate legs don't sound like a good idea to me, and I'm not sure how well pre-posed doubled over legs would work with the minimate aesthetic.

There were definitely some inconsistencies with Pietro's first costume, especially with the limbs and gloves, but by the time he lost the shoulder pads and elf boots (not long before he joined the Avengers), the design pretty much stabilised. It isn't surprising that he has the white instead of the bright green, since that's often how the costume's been represented in more recent "flashbacks".

It's not really a big enough issue to bother me, but if the minimate is supposed to represent the classic costume it's technically inaccurate. It would be nice if it could be corrected (bright green boots, gloves, and trunks), especially since this set is a fair ways off. However, that would probably be more trouble than it would be worth, especially since, like I said, it's not that much of a problem.

I really can't wait for this set. Between this and wave 68, the classic X-Men are doing really well.

And, lo, when the amphibian croaks among us and one master of minds replaces the other and the blurred and the grey both become green, the poster shall be complete, and there will be peace in the multiverse.  

The Book of Minimates 6:22

In the book of Minimates, isn't Toad the endbringer? Hasn't it been foretold that Toad will be the last Minimate in the longest running line of toys in the history of Minimates? May the prophets be wrong.

15 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

IIRC, that cover isn't accurate to the interior of the comic. She wore a more magenta and pink costume, an entirely different headpiece, and straps on the "bathing suit" part.

I was being a tad facetious. I don't actually expect a *green* Scarlet Witch. :P

Learning that Mastermind comes with the OML Duster is icing on the cake. Looks like i'm going to get to cross another couple of characters off my 'Top 10 wishlist' :D

So first Mastermind anywhere ever, right? Not exactly a guy who is easy to make into a toy. The Professor X swapping stuff is genius. That's why I love this line so much. The innovation is second to none. I've noticed Legends do a lot more alternate character part swapping now, I wouldn't need surprised to see them do the same thing. 

10 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

i really can't believe the hissy fit being thrown over Toad not being able to crouch. why would you expect them to create a whole new piece, just because we've waived so long for him? the poster doesn't show him crouching, so it's not like they teased us with the possibility and then took it away. just be happy you're getting Toad. and Master Mind. and Marvel Girl. ...and Prof X, i guess, if you don't already have him... just be happy that minimates have been around for 15 years. and the comparison to the wheel chair is pretty weak... Prof X literally cannot stand. he requires a wheel chair. what kind of sense would it make not to include it? crouching is something that Toad may do often, but it's not his defining feature or mutant power. i jumped on with wave 16 and i'm still along for the ride. instead of telling DST not to bother making something, why don't you just suck it up and if it bothers you then don't buy it. i'm like "take my money." and calling the first Scarlet Witch a failure? you're only speaking for yourself, right? cuz i'm not sure how much weight your opinion holds. she was great for her time, and i think she will stand in just fine to complete the brotherhood.

Edited by CortherX