UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 75

mav-man

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

Zach, I'm digging these new backdrops you've been using;  What are they?

Also, that face on the Punisher is the best.

Luke cage and iron fist is the Gotham Select Mr. Zsasz alleyway wall, and I think the Bullock floor, they are not all interchangeable, but I made it work.

Punisher/Moon Knight is the Wolfman Select base with the pillars, and the wall is the Alice in Wonderland Select street base.

Jessica's is that Wonderland base with some railings and benches I found at Michaels. I got some cool bridges, too, but I haven't used them. Background is a paper New York skyline we once used at Toy Fair.

Daredevil is the Homecoming Spider-Man Select rooftop base on top of I want to say the Zsasz wall. Same backdrop --depending  on how the light hits it, it can look pretty real. I imagine printing a photo on a piece of cardstock would give you the same results.

Edited by DSTZach

I just opened one of each 2-pack I got in my case from Luke's Toy Store.

I really like the Moon Knight and Punisher set.

I have not been following any of the Netflix shows, so I am not familiar with Jessica Jones, Power Man, Iron Fist or Daredevil as they are on those shows.  But I will say that I am impressed with the minimates.  They are some good looking mates.  The Ghost Rider in this wave is one I really can't say much about as I have no idea to the story of this version of the character, but it is a nice looking mate.  I would say my favorite mate in the set is Purple Man followed closely by the BAM Quake.

Just thought I would share my views of this wave.

I do hope that the Buld-A-Mate, theme continues to other waves.  As it would work well for lots of other franchises not just for Marvel.

2 minutes ago, Heinous said:

Any one else have a problem with Robbie's hair fitting? Mine doesn't sit flush, there's a pretty big gap actually 

same here, and the peg is too small so it doesnt "stick" in  the hole.

on a side note anyone else think   Jessicas head/hair looks alot like Chloe Bennett aka sky/daisy/quake on the agents of shield show,  if anyone still cares it would make a nice looking custom

11 hours ago, Mattallica said:

same here, and the peg is too small so it doesnt "stick" in  the hole.

on a side note anyone else think   Jessicas head/hair looks alot like Chloe Bennett aka sky/daisy/quake on the agents of shield show,  if anyone still cares it would make a nice looking custom

Weird no, I have always thought she looks more like the Shannon Dorothy Renee from Clerks but then again it's been a while with the new hair piece.  ALthough I did use the "approved" face with my version but still kept the Renee hair on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhG9D-iHXEy/?taken-by=minimated

I prefer costumed Punisher, but this version is impressive. I wasn't expecting the skull shirt underneath the vest, and this 'mate's face/hair is pretty much perfect, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have chosen this version of Moon Knight, but the design works really well. The cape sort of limits posing, but it looks really nice.

Making Jessica's jacket painted instead of sculpted was a good call, and Purple Man adds a lot of colour to a group that's mostly black and grey.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I prefer costumed Punisher, but this version is impressive. I wasn't expecting the skull shirt underneath the vest, and this 'mate's face/hair is pretty much perfect, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have chosen this version of Moon Knight, but the design works really well. The cape sort of limits posing, but it looks really nice.

Making Jessica's jacket painted instead of sculpted was a good call, and Purple Man adds a lot of colour to a group that's mostly black and grey.

How does moon knights cape limit posing? It's way better than the last one 

Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of the skull mask? I thought the purpose of the skull on the chest was to get people to shoot him there where he has body armor? Wouldn't the skull on the mask do the same thing except he just dies? 

On 4/6/2018 at 10:44 AM, BuffaloDelorean said:

They don’t have a choice with the hairpiece selected as I painfully learned with Supergirl

I placed a large order with Luke the other day and decided to throw this wave in despite not being the most enthusiastic about it. I guess the excitement of a new wave won out. Overall I think I liked it better than 74 though that might have a lot to do with low expectations. My thoughts:

Punisher: This figure is the star of the wave. First, one negative: The Punisher should never come with just one gun; this figure is crying out for a pistol and a holster. Other than that it’s nearly perfect. The vest is an awesome piece even if the paint could be a little sharper. The skull tampo on the torso is a nice bonus that adds a lot of value. If someone complained that the skull has three “teeth” instead of four I would understand it but I don’t find it to be an issue. I also like that the design lends itself to tweaking, it looks good replacing the short sleeves with black arms and gloves. I don’t picture Frank wearing a mask but I do think the included mask is kind of cool even if it makes me think of Crossbones a little. The face and hair are very good. Overall an excellent figure.

Moon Knight: Well, this figure is a giant disappointment. I’m a big Moon Knight fan so I can accept that the figure was never going to live up to my hopes, however, I think there are some real issues that aren’t just nitpicky stuff. First, as has been discussed a lot, the hood looks bad. I thought maybe it was just a bad translation from the control art to the figure but after inspecting the picture on the packaging I think the issues were visible even then. The hood/cape for this costume are somewhat unique and I can see what they were going for, they just missed the mark badly, it’s like they took the art from one panel for reference instead of looking at all of them. If you want to see it executed well in three dimensions check out the ML figure. The shape of the hood and the way it matches up with the cape are just wrong and makes it look like a bob haircut or a bonnet. This is baffling because DST had already done a similar look with the Wave 62 Hobgoblin and executed it perfectly. If you tweak that hood and put it on this figure the improvement would be drastic. The cape itself is good and you can definitely see the inspiration from Shalvey’s art. The white tampos on the black body are slightly gray but not near as bad as I feared. The costume details are pretty decent, he could use some throwing crescents details on the inside of the arm and more detailed gloves but that might be too much to ask. The accessories are a let down, in the book (at least the Ellis run) Moon Knight uses small throwing crescents, and large crescent knife, and truncheons sheathed on the side of his legs. Instead, we get a staff, which is a Moon Knight weapon but doesn’t look near as cool as the others would have with this costume and is extra disappointing since DST made throwing crescents for the last Moon Knight. It’s too bad they missed the mark since it will likely be a long time before we see the character again.

Iron Fist: I loathe this costume, it’s just so lame and unoriginal, and I don’t understand the obsession some artists seem to have with changing the Iron Fist’s colors from green and yellow. That said, the figure is decent. I appreciate the stripe tampo being applied to the legs, waist, and torso. The collar looks okay but flops around a lot, if I really liked the look I would consider gluing it down. The mask is fine but on my figure the eyes are printed high and off to the side which looks ridiculous so if I display it at all it will have to be unmasked. I don’t know if Danny uses nunchucks in the comic this look comes from but it does seem like something he would do so I guess they’re a nice accessory.

Luke Cage: This is another costume I really dislike. On the bright side I think you can break the figure up into some useful parts, the suit pieces going to something else and the shirt, arms, and head for a custom Cage. I do like the head even though I could have gone for a Cage that didn’t have gritted teeth.

Daredevil: There sure are a lot of black costumes in Wave 75. This look has grown on me a little bit, I could almost like it a little if it had the classic DD logo instead of the graffiti one, though it is accurate to the design. The unmasked head and hair are nice enough.

Ghost Driver: This figure is all about the mask. I was worried it would look really large but in person it seems fine to me. I’ve been critical of DST (in my head if not online) for seeming to lose some of their creativity in the comic line, they definitely don’t have that problem here. The flames shooting out of the mask and the face tampo look very good. The body is a little odd, there is so little detailing that it looks almost like an animated design. The chains don’t appear quite accurate to the comics, I guess how much you care about the character will determine how much this matters to you. Robbie’s unmasked head and hair are good but the bottom of the head being black, while great for the masked look, makes it look a little odd if you want to make a civilian Robbie. But then again, this figure is all about that mask so I can’t complain.

Jessica Jones: There’s nothing really to wrong here but I prefer the Netflix version of this costume so I suspect most of this minimate will be relegated to the parts bin. The Avengers mug is a nice accessory.

Purple Man: He sure is purple. It’s nice to get a new (to the comic line) villain. I probably would have preferred a suit and tie with a little more contrast, like the ML figure, but this is still a good look and gives you enough parts to swap if you want to change it up. No accessories, though I’m not sure what would have been appropriate.

Quake: Daisy is a simple character to make, the only thing that really distinguishes her are the gloves and those are pretty weak here. A new piece to represent them and the concussion blasts from Havok would have gone a long way to making this a more impressive figure. The paint on the front and sides of the legs don’t line up very well on my figure.

For me the jury is still out on the build-a-minimate concept. Daisy is just okay and it seems like some of the figures in the wave might have been shortchanged a bit to accommodate the extra parts. I guess we’ll see how it looks after Wave 76.

There was a lot of tape on faces and torsos in these packages, it made me very nervous opening things up.

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

Punisher: This figure is the star of the wave. First, one negative: The Punisher should never come with just one gun; this figure is crying out for a pistol and a holster. Other than that it’s nearly perfect. The vest is an awesome piece even if the paint could be a little sharper. The skull tampo on the torso is a nice bonus that adds a lot of value. If someone complained that the skull has three “teeth” instead of four I would understand it but I don’t find it to be an issue. I also like that the design lends itself to tweaking, it looks good replacing the short sleeves with black arms and gloves. I don’t picture Frank wearing a mask but I do think the included mask is kind of cool even if it makes me think of Crossbones a little. The face and hair are very good. Overall an excellent figure.

Totally agree. I still like the First Appearance Punisher, but this one has definitely become my favorite. Giving him a holster, and knife sheath were the first things I did, and now he's perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...