UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 75

mav-man

My case from Luke's Toy Store is on its way to me.

I hope to get it Tuesday when I get back to my office since I sent it there due to theft in my neighborhood form doorsteps.

Can't wait.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Heinous said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to find at least a new hood for MK, if not a cape also. Just such a weird comboĀ 

I dunno man, I'm digging that cape way more than the old capes. Ā There's so much room for movement and action, I wish all the capes looked like this. Ā Hell, combined with the original moon knight, it makes an almost perfect silver avenger. Ā Check it out:

OKnmi0J.jpg

D7z0UbG.jpg

I'll give you that the hood is weird, but I'll take it for a cape that gives me this much posing potential.

Also, as a bonus, here's a shot I took of that new Ghost Rider.

nRxIMQo.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, stack32 said:

Huh, it's almost like social media only represents a small portion of fans...

The number of people commenting is about the same, but I'mĀ willing to bet the number of likes I'll get on a Series 75Ā InstagramĀ post is more than the number of people following this thread. Nothing against this forum, which is the only one I really spend time on, but it is fairly specialized, and I think it's naive to think there is a more diverse and varied group of opinions here than, say,Ā Facebook.

My point was that despite the character repetition and clear mass media tie-ins, this series was clearly designed for comic fans, albeit currentĀ ones, and I just assumed that would appeal toĀ most MarvelĀ Minimates fans, I.e. youĀ guys.

But then, I didn't choose the line-up, although I weighed in on an earlier version.

Ā 

You assume that most of us are current Marvel Comics fans, and considering the state of their comics right now...

I kid. I like a lot of their comics! Well, maybe not a lot. but certainly some. I think. Anyway, I personally just don't like most of these designs. I don't like that Daredevil costume, don't like that Ghost Rider look, don't like Luke Cage in a vest, and I *HATE* that Iron Fist...thing.Ā  That's half the wave. As for the other half, I never really liked Jessica Jones, and I'm happy to have the Netflix one stand as my Jessica.The Punisher figure is pretty cool, but he's also one of my least favorite characters, so I'm not rushing out to get it. That leaves the Purple Man (which is nice, but not one I'm dying for) and Moon Knight (and I'm not any more sold on his cape and hood than anyone else is).

So no, this isn't a wave that speaks to me all that much. But that's fine. It's a clever way to tie into a fairly prominent Marvel property. No doubt it will sell better than my beloved Wave 69.

i think most of the comic shops in Portland, Or have stopped carrying mates - if anyone here knows otherwise, please speak up - and I'm really only looking for the Jessica/Purple Man set. so if anyone is army building and has extra and wants to make a deal or trade, give me a holler!

9 hours ago, DSTZach said:

My point was that despite the character repetition and clear mass media tie-ins, this series was clearly designed for comic fans, albeit currentĀ ones, and I just assumed that would appeal toĀ most MarvelĀ Minimates fans, I.e. youĀ guys.

I am a current comic fan and collect mostly Marvel Minimates but I just don't feel like these need to be in my collection.Ā  Out of wave 74 and 75, the only two that I really wanted were the Spencer Captain America and Spider-Girl.Ā  The other ones look great (except for maybe Moon Knight) though.

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

The number of people commenting is about the same, but I'mĀ willing to bet the number of likes I'll get on a Series 75Ā InstagramĀ post is more than the number of people following this thread. Nothing against this forum, which is the only one I really spend time on, but it is fairly specialized, and I think it's naive to think there is a more diverse and varied group of opinions here than, say,Ā Facebook.

The opinions are probably more diverse and varied, I have doubts about the level of engagement when I actually look at the posts and read the comments at Instagram and FB. When you take out the comments asking questions about other DST product and complimenting your photography (which is excellent) there's not much left. If this forum had a "like" function I'd be curious to see what the totals would look like for a comparison. Regardless, whatever the size and mix of the group of fans here we do actually spend money on product (maybe not enough to move the needle), I don't know if that's the case with the Instagram crowd.

The issues people have had with the wave have been pretty thoroughly discussed here since the reveal. Since DST hasn't made any changes to the figures (not that I'd expect this to happen) I'm not sure why our opinions would change.

I know our positive reactions don't necessarily result in sales but I'm trying to think of a Marvel wave that wasn't well-received and still seemed to sell well. The only possibility I can think of off the top of my head would be some of the Best Of or Greatest Hits assortments, though those are a different beast and many of those got a positive reaction here. Maybe there's one I'm missing?

I like this wave much more than wave 74. The selection and execution are much better, even with Quake being kind of a lame BAF.

I found Wave 74 to be boring. Surtur and King Hulk are nice but the rest are just dull to me. I really like the Hydra Cap design but the minimate needs some sculpted pieces, all tampos just doesn't look right to me.

Waves 74, 75, and 76 are all on about the same level for me. They're (mostly) well-executed renditions of costumes and characters I'm just not interested in. In each wave there's one or two I really want (Surtur, Purple Man, Cloak & Dagger), and a few I would prefer more "classic" versions of (Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Black Cat). It's not that there's a problem with the selections, they just don't really appeal to me. I do like the BaF system, though.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Waves 74, 75, and 76 are all on about the same level for me. They're (mostly) well-executed renditions of costumes and characters I'm just not interested in. In each wave there's one or two I really want (Surtur, Purple Man, Cloak & Dagger), and a few I would prefer more "classic" versions of (Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Black Cat). It's not that there's a problem with the selections, they just don't really appeal to me. I do like the BaF system, though.

Is black cat not classic in 76? I realize it's based on the 90s look, but I don't remember it sticking out to me as different than classicĀ 

5 hours ago, stack32 said:

Ā 

I know our positive reactions don't necessarily result in sales but I'm trying to think of a Marvel wave that wasn't well-received and still seemed to sell well. The only possibility I can think of off the top of my head would be some of the Best Of or Greatest Hits assortments, though those are a different beast and many of those got a positive reaction here. Maybe there's one I'm missing?

stack32's excellent post & the mini-debate on the Ā new Ā 'Black Cat' brings back memories to me of the 'Spider-Man friends & foes' box set from 8 years ago . Ā 

I don't expect anyone to trawl through the 'Spider-Man Friends &Ā Foes' thread but if you have the time it is fascinating. Everybody was thrilled with the choice of characters butĀ the actual Minimates Ā were notĀ well-receivedĀ ....as in.... ''all was not well when the MinimatesĀ were received ....in your hand" . Ā  In particular Black Cat's cleavage was a different colour to her face whilst the Spider-Man 'mate might as well have been re-named 'Mr.Tampo-fucked' . Ā  It's all been said . Ā Ā 

Yet they sold.

This looks like a good wave but I just can't get away from the fact that in the post-TRU era we need some great waves & quickly .

The upcomingĀ Black Cat suffices as her classic look for me. It is definitely better than theĀ Friends & Foes mate. I never understood the hate for thatĀ box set though, the Vulture and Doc Ock were well-executed. Especially for the time. I'd even say the Vulture mate still looks holds up today.Ā 

On 3/30/2018 at 12:22 AM, callsign_morlock said:

do you have a favorite character that has yet to be made?

That'sĀ a tough one. AllĀ of my favorite MarvelĀ comics are the funny ones, so I'd love to get Damage Control, although that might be dull. The big What The...?! characters -- Forbush Man, Wolverina,Ā Milk and Cookies -- would be amazing. And obviously NextWave.

Impossible Man I know from maybe one issue of Sllver Surfer, but he's great. Cardiac is just a great design. SlydeĀ I only know from the Official Handbook, but I want one. I'm a big Iron Man fan, so Blacklash, Beetle, Hydro Armor, Soviet Super Soldiers, Man-Ape, Power Man/Goliath, etc.

Hopefully this wave does well with more casual collectors, or more importantly retailers who see the value in all of these characters, because that is how they will get out in front of modern comic fans.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by DSTZach

I used to buy Marvel Age a lot, because the quarter bins at my local comic book shop had tons of them. Being that it was more of a Marvel newsletter than an actual comic book, nobody wanted them, but being that I was a young scamp trying to learn about the history of the Marvel Universe, I'd frequently pull them out and say, "I'll buy that for a quarter!"

That said, Forbush Man and Impossible Man made frequent 4th Wall Breaking Appearances in that. I had no idea who either of them were at the time, and they were used in very non-canon seeming ways in those books... but... It makes them feel like a familiar part of my childhood with Marvel, even if I never read an actual... comic book about them. At the time.

Zach, you mentioned NextWave and - not to derail the thread, but - Aaron appeared in the Brian Reed Ms. Marvel book at the time stillĀ displaying his NextWave persona. If you guys did a comic wave to compliment the release of the Captain Marvel movie,Ā maybe you could sneak him in? Stilt man extensions, robot foot soldier weapon hands, and both masked and unmasked options would be ideal.

Ā 

Edited by Mnemosis