UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 75

mav-man

1 hour ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

For me it's less the individual prominence of the character or whether they had their own title, and more about the significance they had on the team. Moondragon and Hellcat are both fairly prominent characters in the Marvel universe, but they were probationary members who never became full Avengers. Darhawk and Machine Man had their own books, but aside from stories with all of the Avengers, between them they were members in less than a half dozen issues.

On the other hand, Mockingbird was a founder of the WCA, and a core member of that team and the Heroic Age New Avengers. AS well as being Avengers villains, Mantis and Swordsman were members of the main team for some time. Characters like Starfox, Sersi, and Quasar had pretty long runs with the Avengers too.

After Avengers Disassembled, too many characters joined the team for me to really keep track of. Shang-Chi is definitely deserving of a minimate, but how important was he as an Avenger?

I hear you from a personal level. To me, Crystal is one of the top ten most important characters in the Marvel Universe in addition to being one of my favourite characters. An Inhuman that married into the Mutant family and the Cosmic family. An Avenger. A member of the Fantastic Four.  Other people, aka toy companies and other fans probably, don't see her as that significant. She has never had a movable action figure and only has hero click figures. To me this is a huge injustice. But, I get it. Everyone has their own holy grail. But from an objective toy level, Minimates has done a great job of covering off several pockets of the MCU in at least one figure. I'm a team guy. I love the X-Men, Avengers, Defenders, New Warriors and never really gravitated toward the solo series for too long. Daredevil, Spider-men, Punisher, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, etc aren't my jam. I still buy the mates though for parts or because they crossed into the team worlds and I have an overwhelming panic of if I skip an assortment the whole thing will shut down (Thanks Toy Biz and Palz).  Hopefully as the line continues to gain success we will see more of the list of "smaller" characters take flight.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sliding into :offtopic:really fast.
There isn't a character on that list that isn't on my wish list, reasonsy. But at a certain point "important" becomes too darn subjective a term. Shang, Mantis, and Crystal were all Avengers for about the same length of time, whether you consider them "important" or "essential" depends on whether you're a fan on that era. Avenger wise, my two favorite eras are the run between #150-#200 and then the 80's Stern era. So Mockingbird and Jocasta  are "important" Avengers for me. So really the only logical answer is to make a minimate for Every Single Member of the Avengers roster EVER, so there will be no conflicts over who does or doesn't deserve a slot.

1 hour ago, Mirymate said:

There isn't a character on that list that isn't on my wish list, reasonsy. But at a certain point "important" becomes too darn subjective a term. Shang, Mantis, and Crystal were all Avengers for about the same length of time, whether you consider them "important" or "essential" depends on whether you're a fan on that era. Avenger wise, my two favorite eras are the run between #150-#200 and then the 80's Stern era. So Mockingbird and Jocasta  are "important" Avengers for me. So really the only logical answer is to make a minimate for Every Single Member of the Avengers roster EVER, so there will be no conflicts over who does or doesn't deserve a slot.

I like your logic. Hopefully we will get there. In the meantime this wave will give us an Avenger in Peter and an honorary in MJ.

If nothing else, BAF parts in the Minimates line can be used as fodder if someone doesn't get the entire wave. Unlike the 6" scale BAF parts which take some work to be used with another figure, if the 'mates BAF parts are logically packed (Legs, arms, body, head) then if someone just picked up one or two sets they'd have some cool additional parts to play with. I'm fine with that.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

11 hours ago, Mirymate said:

So really the only logical answer is to make a minimate for Every Single Member of the Avengers roster EVER, so there will be no conflicts over who does or doesn't deserve a slot.

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

On 7/26/2017 at 3:48 AM, Mirymate said:

This is probably just me but I think of Lionheart as the last "Avenger" then we got the whole disassembled, dark, secret, new, all new, new again, whatever the hell they are now where pretty much every top 100 hero has now joined the team making the avengers a meaningless concept for me.

5 hours ago, Polarboy said:

This is probably just me but I think of Lionheart as the last "Avenger" then we got the whole disassembled, dark, secret, new, all new, new again, whatever the hell they are now where pretty much every top 100 hero has now joined the team making the avengers a meaningless concept for me.

Quoted for truth, couldn't agree more Polarboy. ? It's not just you.

Anyone that was a member up to issue 200 goes into my classic team. There were a couple nice teams even after that in the 260's and up that I'd consider putting together but I cut it off at Reed, Sue and Gilgamesh around 300.

I did really like Lionheart and would find a spot for her if they ever made her.

Non-Avengers related, I'm a sucker for the original Captain Britain uniform and would love to see Brian in that look at some point. Regular masked head with hair piece please! 

For me, a classic Avenger is someone who joined before #300. I don't really count reservists or probationary members like Moondragon, Hellcat, Two-Gun Kid, or Firebird as full Avengers, although It'd be nice to get minimates of the first two anyway. Using that logic, the missing classic Avengers are Swordsman, Mantis, Starfox, Mockingbird, and Dr. Druid. Obviously YMMV, but that's how I look at it.

Ok, well as probably one of the biggest classic avengers fans on here I thought I ought to throw in an opinion.  I'm pretty much in agreement with most of what's been said actually.  I would personally only count "avengers" as people who were members up to disassembled - once we get to new avengers etc for me that's not the same, hence I will never see spidey or wolverine as true members.  However, for me "classic" avengers would probably only be those who were in the roster roughly up to the end of the '80's.  Thus I'm pretty much with your opinion Buff but would definitely count moondragon and hellcat.  Give me those two and swordsman and mantis and my main avengers needs will be met!

Is there anyone who wouldn't acknowledge the difference between pre- and post-Disassembled Avengers? That's a pretty clear dividing line for legitimate reasons.

I think the main problem with minimate Avengers is that even the teams that are close to complete have members spread across such a long time so some of the figures don't work that well together. Wonder Man, Vision, and U.S. Agent come to mind as having particularly outdated figures.

We are going to be SUPER off-topic in all these threads with so long until there's more Marvel product.

Disassembled in the line most long time collectors draw, yes, without question. And yeah, these days it's getting harder and harder to find people who haven't joined the some version of Avengers at some point.

Although... technically Spider-Man joined the East Coast team at the same time as Sandman and Rage, well before Wolverine. He never served as an active member until New Avengers, but he was granted reserve when the team reorganized under the United Nations, then inactive/detached status because of the events of the clone saga.

There were elements of Lionheart I liked, but there were several... frankly stupid things about her situation (If she reveals her ID to anyone tragedy will occur, so let's invite her kids who think she's dead to live with us so we can live dangerously while waiting to see just how long she can stand it before she reveals herself to them,. All in favor... motion carried!!) that prevent me from calling her the last "real Avenger". Which I suppose makes either Jack of Hearts or Scott Lang the last one.

And it was very, very shortly after 300 Cap granted Moondragon, Hellcat, and Firebird full membership with his formal "once any kind of Avenger, then you're a full Avenger" announcement.

I don't like drawing the line at 300, because IMO Quasar and Sersi were good additions to the team. I'd probably think more of Crystal as a member if Bob Harras hadn't gotten so bogged down in the whole messy love pentagon (Sersi loves Dane, but Dane loves Crystal, who loves Dane back, but also loves her husband Pietro, Pietro loves Crystal, and hates Dane. And Vision also fell in love with Crystal, despite her being married to his brother-in-law. And what about Naomi...?) that DOMINATED his run. Still liked the Gatherers though.

Triathlon grew on me, Silver Claw not so much. Jack of Hearts was a good fit until Mr. DC brought back problems with his powers he'd long since solved.

However...

While Disassembled the natural line for adult collectors, for younger readers not so much. In fact most of them know only post New Avengers stuff. I know this because my 16 year old son has several friends who are very into comics. They talk about Secret Invasion as a classic storyline like I talk about the Korvac Saga. And as much a I want to "explain" how what they like is "garbage" compared to the "good stuff" from "my day", I bite my tongue a lot. Because whether I like it or not, they do. And relatively new comics enthusiasts need to be encouraged if we want to have ANY hope of the industry that feeds our Marvel minimates to survive.

To quote a favorite bard of mine "The good old days weren't always good, tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

i was literally looking at the Jessica Jones boxset on ebay the day before i saw this wave. this Jessica will save me from buying the other set and comes with a sweet Purple Man. the rest... well i'm happy with the current additions i have of the character. will probably try to score that Ghost Rider on here.

@Mirymate that's a great way of looking at it. I'm a bit older than your son but secret invasion and civil war were among my first big events although I have fond memories of my childhood and seeing what I now know of some of Michelinie's stories and Carnage, Shriek, and Carrion in comic book shops. Mullet-esque Parker is one of my favorite Parker looks. Although going back and seeing stuff like Virtual Mortality's artwork and some of the jumpy scenes of the clone saga is eye opening now. 

If any of you comic veterans have any good classic trade paper back recommendations Im always game to hear em! Might help me get some new wish list characters. 

Anything by Roger Stern that's Avengers related, or by Stern in general. David Micheline is generally did great work for Marvel as a rule of thumb. Hobgoblin intro arc in Amazing Spider-Man is good... if convoluted by changing writers. Mark Gruenwald's run on Captain America, yes including Cap-Wolf. There are definitely low, low spots, but overall it's a great run. And the obvious ones: Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, Byrne's Fantastic Four, Byrne's run on She-Hulk, Walt Simonson's Thor, Thomas/Buscema's Avengers. PAD's first and longest run on the Hulk, Claremont/Byrne X-Men, Claremont/Smith/JRjr's X-men.

Really, try to track down the "Essential" collections as much as you can. These came out ages ago now, but they were large collections of early back issues printed in black and white. Yeah, you miss the color, but if you want to really learn your comics history warts and all, these are wonderful. Can not recommend these highly enough for ANY of the series they made them for.

Back in the 1960's the first reprints of US Marvel comics were printed in various UK comics..........all were in black & white .

Can you imagine how I felt as a young boy when I finally saw my heroes in colour ....you probably can't but let me tell you now it was 'fantastic' which ironically was the name of one of the comics that was published in black & white . I'm also told that many young ,now-famous US comic artists began their careers designing the covers etc. of these comics apparently making some of them quite collectable. 

Recommendations ?  I'm no expert but ....

I was early-in to Marvel Comics reading & relatively speaking early-out for a couple of decades ....what brought me back big-time was a chance reading of a (then) current Captain America comic that a friend of mine was reading . I was hooked again .

That was the (vol.5) Captain America run of comics , the Brubaker run is as good as anything I have ever read . 

Ahh marvel Pocket Books and the sideways format of Marvel Titans. I remember them with fondness.

Anyway Back to the Minimates. I actually know nothing of these looks for any of the characters only I'm guessing that they are the current outfits. Not that I won't buy them just that I don't think I will making display space for them.

On 8/2/2017 at 5:10 AM, MiniFiend UK said:

Anyway Back to the Minimates. I actually know nothing of these looks for any of the characters only I'm guessing that they are the current outfits. Not that I won't buy them just that I don't think I will making display space for them.

Jessica Jones has her pretty standard outfit on, since her first appearance. Purple Man is also wearing a pretty standard look, if I recall my Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe.

The rest are fairly new, although the comic looks may change by the time these come out. Not sure if this is a regular look for the Punisher or just from a single issue or two. GR is Robbie Reyes.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I would have liked to see a more Heroic Age-era look for Jessica Jones to differentiate her from the Netflix version, but the Alias/Defenders design is much better known.

I think a character who looks like their Netflix counterpart is preferable, but if you want Heroic Age you can just put this head on her old Jewel costume. Is that set hard to find?

The set? Haven't seen the whole thing for a while. Individual mates? Uncommon but not difficult considering how long ago it came out. 

40 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I think a character who looks like their Netflix counterpart is preferable, but if you want Heroic Age you can just put this head on her old Jewel costume. Is that set hard to find?

The Secret Invasion set isn't terrible, in terms of availability. I've considered ordering it online a few times, it seems like a pretty solid set. 

The Netflix Jessica Jones set came out recently, and it's still available at or slightly below retail.That set's Jessica is very similar to wave 75's, and presumably we'll see another very similar version for the upcoming Defenders assortment(s). The MCU and 616 JJs are different enough that I can justify displaying both, but the only real differences in their designs are hair colour and level of detail.

The black jacket is definitely Jessica's most relevant look, but something else might have been more distinct. I understand why DST went with this design, I'm just saying it isn't my personal preference.

Oh, I get that it's your personal preference, I'm just saying that Heroic Age Jessica Jones is a short-lived look that's a fairly easy QC.

And this IS the Defenders assortment. There is no TV Defenders assortment, or TV Defenders box set -- if you want to assemble the TV Defenders, three box sets are already available -- and readily available, as you said -- and the fourth is coming soon. The new season's costumes are really not that different from what we've done. So making a JJ that looks like her Defenders look in this assortment was comic-accurate, but also works for us timing-wise